Author Topic: Windows 7 Microsoft Sidebar Advice Avast Gadget  (Read 12208 times)

slybo

Windows 7 Microsoft Sidebar Advice Avast Gadget
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:12 PM »
I have two windows 7 64 bit and one 32 bit computers. Since March 2013 MS updates the sidebar does not always load on all three computers. Set Avast to load after system services and that seemed to help at first but still occurs. Found a site that tells how to make a new settings file for the sidebar and that may have helped but only about an hour ago so time will tell. Also found if you have UAC off sidebar will not work, one computer it is off and sidebar been working for 3 years. So I will keep looking at all this. In doing all this came across lots of sites telling me that Microsoft says to disable the sidebar for security reasons or your computer will get the big bad malware, then I thought well if the sidebar is so bad then why would Avast still make a windows gadget, a security company. I like the sidebar clock, calendar, and Avast gadget and want to keep them. Is Microsoft just making a big deal out of nothing? Or should I disable the sidebar and do away with my favorite clock, calendar, and Avast gadgets? Thanks slybo

Hardtek1976

Re: Windows 7 Microsoft Sidebar Advice Avast Gadget
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
Hi slybo,

Same issue here. Win7 64 bit also. Solutions I have found so far to resolve the issue (you need to decide which one). I know what some other members will say. They say the gadgets are useless. But I have a person who uses the gadgets due to the fact they have very poor eye sight. Actually this person is very close to being legally blind.

1. Uninstall IE10. The issue does not happen with IE9
2. Uninstall Avast!'s behaviour shield
3. Disable the gadgets as per the Microsoft's fixit.
4. Wait for Avast to fix the issue. They now know there is a bug.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
No problem on this win 7 64bit, IE10 and Avast 8

slybo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply Hardtek1976 but since my first post I have tried something that might have worked. I uninstalled the Avast gadget and then made a new settings file for the sidebar. I have restarted a number of times and so far the clock and calendar come up with no problem. I believe it was the Avast gadget. I did like it but I guess I will have to live without it until avast finds a cause. I think you are right that it has to do with IE10 not working with the Avast gadget but no problem with behaviour shield or the clock and calendar. I will know for sure in a few days. thanks slybo

slybo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »
guess I should have said I am using latest Avast 8 Pro on all machines. Do not understand it essexboy, just started on all computer in short time, had to be some of the updates I guess from MS, maybe? slybo

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »
No problems here.Avast 8 Free,Win 7 SP1,IE10,all Windows updates.
I have Clock,Calendar and Avast gadget.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
Right click the desktop
Select gadgets
Select the Avast gadget and it should pop up

Hardtek1976

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »
Hi slybo,

Yes, also using latest Avast! Pro here. Avast! Free works better but also had to set Avast! to load after other services. If I remember correctly  Essexboy uses AIS. If it happens on Pro it should happen on AIS. Also what bothers me I have another user with a very similar machine and it doesn't exhibit the issue. On this machine I install SP1 and no other updates then image the drive. On the first test I install SP1 + IE9 + Avast! and the issue does not appear. On second test image is loaded + IE10 + Avast! and the issue appears immediately. Then the behavioural shield is uninstalled and the issue then stops. Just as a test, install base image + IE10 + other AV the unit works fine. I believe this is bug in the behaviour shield.

slybo

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
essexboy, not having a problem finding it. Just when avast gadget is installed in sidebar and restart computer the sidebar does not load. This started after ms updates this month which included IE10. Now that I have uninstalled avast gadget the sidebar is loading after a restart, I have the clock and calendar only. What about the main question in my first post, is the sidebar a security risk like Microsoft says? should I remove the sidebar but uninstalling it from  programs and features? slybo

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »
Aye I do have AIS, but I also have behaviour shield running..  But not web rep as it is incompatible with the higher security in IE10

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »
Just trialled that on my system, set the gadget up
Shut down the system
Booted and the Gadget appears

Details of the security risks with gadgets  http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/gadgets.aspx

slybo

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
Yes Hardtek1976 believe IE10 one of the main problems with avast gadget. essexboy, no problem with webrep or anything else. Only problem was sidebar loading when avast gadget was installed. slybo

Hardtek1976

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:03:01 AM »
Essexboy,

I have Web Rep turned off.

With that thorn in my side I had to do some more testing. Reinstalled the behaviour shield and found a couple of more work arounds for the issue.
5. Added C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe to the trusted processes in the behaviour shield.
6. Forced Windows to load the 32 bit version of sidebar.exe. Using regedit change the value of the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SideBar. The original value is C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun. Change the value to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun. Note, since the Avast! gadget is 64 bit you will have to copy the folder from C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Shared Gadgets\aswSidebar.gadget to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\Shared Gadgets

slybo

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
Hardtek1976 and essexboy, I would like to thank you for all the information. It helped me make a decision, I left Avast gadget uninstalled, closed the clock and calendar. I will just not have a sidebar for now. Looks like more trouble than it is worth. In the future will try again after Microsoft and Avast work out the problems. I do not need the sidebar that bad and things seem to run better since turning everything off. So again thanks, slybo