Author Topic: so avast found a virus, now what?  (Read 12128 times)

JohnnyBob

so avast found a virus, now what?
« on: March 07, 2005, 08:55:33 AM »
 ???

Insofar as I can tell, avast does nothing and knows nothing about how to fix a virus. It found it, but that's the end of the avast process. However that leaves me in the lurch. I need to know if it did any damage to computer, and if so, how to fix it. So how or where do I go to determine that? I tried to email it to avast but the avast software says it won't email viruses over 1MB. This one is 2MB. I zipped it to make it less than 1MB, but don't know what avast email address to use. Frustrated here.

I think there is a fair chance this is a false positive, but I don't have any way to test that theory. The file is from a reputable source. Note that I ran the software which uses this file, so if it truly contains a virus, then presumably it did whatever damage it is supposed to do.

from Eloquery files downloaded March 5, 2005 from www.iccf.com
Infected file: TURNREF.IDX
Size: 2,072,064 bytes
Zipped size: 594,782 bytes
Malware name: Win32:Aris
Malware type: Virus/Worm
Anti-virus software: avast!

neiby

Re: so avast found a virus, now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 09:02:15 AM »
What do you mean by "it found it and that's the end of it"? It should have asked you what you wanted to do with the file. If it did, how did you answer? If it did not, then how did you find out this file even had a virus in it?

JohnnyBob

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 09:13:01 AM »
What do you mean by "it found it and that's the end of it"? It should have asked you what you wanted to do with the file. If it did, how did you answer? If it did not, then how did you find out this file even had a virus in it?

It found it, and recommended I send it to the chest. And that's the end of it, but I still need to know something about this particular virus, and whether it did any damage, and if so, how to fix it. The avast software leaves me totally alone, out in the cold, in that regard. I feel totally helpless and frustrated. Now I guess I have to go looking at other antivirus sites like Trend and Norton to get some help. Right? Why doesn't avast provide that?
JB

neiby

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »
Ok, it recommended that you send it to the chest. Is that what you did? I'm still having trouble figuring out what the actual problem is. It found a virus in a file and it told you what the virus was and then recommended an action, which I presume you took. Can you be more specific about your preferred outcome?

JohnnyBob

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 09:25:41 AM »
I won't respond to you further. You are no help.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 09:44:18 AM »
In program settings, you can change the size limit of a file to be sent.
If you think it's a false alarm and post an exact link here, we can check - but www.iccf.com isn't very specific, sorry.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:44:55 AM »
It found it, but that's the end of the avast process
If Avast can detect the malware, it can aslo handle it.

but don't know what avast email address to use
This is clearly mentioned on the website as well as in many many threads here.

It found it, and recommended I send it to the chest. And that's the end of it
It can be the end if you (the user) just leaves it there and decide not to do anything with it anymore.

The avast software leaves me totally alone, out in the cold, in that regard
No it doesn't do so at all. Let me guess, you never took the time to read the help and/or this board to learn how Avast works, what the specific settings mean/do.

but I still need to know something about this particular virus
What is keeping you from finding out?

and whether it did any damage
There is no malware in the world that should be on a system. So you can say that every malware does damage. One way or another. Depending on what malware it can be just a little anoyence or complete loss of everything you had on the harddisk and other media.

Now I guess I have to go looking at other antivirus sites like Trend and Norton to get some help.
Could luck finding help at those sites. I still am waiting for even a reaction from them after 3 months.

Why doesn't avast provide that?
Avast definatly does provide help. (Manual, this board, email, website)

Neiby certainly is helping you. But it is not his/hers fault if you don't understand whay he/she says nor is it his/hers fault that you not provide the information requiered to give the apropiate help.

Looking at the file name and where it came from, it could be a false positive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:02:15 AM by Eddy »

Bernie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 09:49:24 AM »
8)

Win32:Aris

Description:

This polymorphic, direct-infector, Win32 virus infects files in the current directory, the %Windows% directory and the %System% directory. It infects Win32 files that have the extensions, .EXE and .DLL. It does not have a destructive payload.

%Windows% is usually the C:\Windows folder. %System% is usually the C:\Windows\System folder.

Btw. Looked for the answer by search with google. I agree with you that you don't get a particular answer/description in the case of an infection, but you can be sure that the virus will be eliminated.

Hope this helps you...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 09:56:06 AM »
Well, it looks like a false alarm indeed (guessing just according to the original filename, source, and the description).

JohnnyBob

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 10:22:43 AM »
Well, it looks like a false alarm indeed (guessing just according to the original filename, source, and the description).

That's my suspicion, but I don't know. I've notified the people who made that file and imagine their resources are much better than mine to find out for sure.

In the meantime I need to use my computer, so I did the only thing I could think of... System Restore to a point before the "virus" was downloaded. From what I'm hearing here, that should do it. After I'm sure that everything is working OK, I'll delete all the restore points that could still contain the "virus".

It's good to get a simple straight answer rather than be bombarded with endless questions. In a situation like this, I'm not thinking cool, and need answers, not questions which only increase my frustration. I've never had a "virus" infection before. It's my own fault, I guess, for making an exception in the directory where it was downloaded. Otherwise presumably avast would have detected it when it was downloaded.

I am still unhappy that I was left in the lurch without specific directions and instructions after the virus was detected in the scan. It recommended that it be put in the chest. I did so. But then it should have somehow come up with some information about the virus, and what I should do to fix my computer, etc. It didn't. That means I may well go over to Norton or some other software that gives more hand-holding when a virus is found.

Bernie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 10:31:10 AM »
JohnnyBob, it seems that at least my answer didn't satisfy you.

To be sure that it is not a false positive you can try either

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

or

http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

Both are Multi-engine Online Antivirus Scanners.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »
That's my suspicion, but I don't know. I've notified the people who made that file and imagine their resources are much better than mine to find out for sure.
I believe av vendors are much better in doing so. They are (after all) the ones who are specialized in malware.

In the meantime I need to use my computer, so I did the only thing I could think of... System Restore to a point before the "virus" was downloaded. From what I'm hearing here, that should do it
There was also the option to restore the file from the chest back to its original location.

It's good to get a simple straight answer rather than be bombarded with endless questions
To give apropiate help, it is needed many times to ask questions first and get answers to them.

In a situation like this, I'm not thinking cool
First rule when malware is detected: NEVER PANIC, STAY CALM.

I am still unhappy that I was left in the lurch without specific directions and instructions after the virus was detected in the scan.
No you weren't.

But then it should have somehow come up with some information about the virus, and what I should do to fix my computer, etc.
To most people specific information makes them only more confused and most people are not knowledgeble enough to understand it. If you want more information about something, there is always GOOGLE.

That means I may well go over to Norton or some other software that gives more hand-holding when a virus is found.
No they don't.

I suggest you make yourself familiar with Avast (or for that matter any application) if you want to use it by reading the help/manual. Those files are explaining a lot (if not all) and can prevent what you just experienced. In case of Avast there is ofcourse also this board with tons of usefull information.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »
I'm already fairly familiar with avast, but am unhappy with the software at this point, and with some of the responses here.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:49:47 AM »

Well, I believe it may be more approriate if our virus analyst could check it - but first we need the file (or link to it).
Thanks.