Author Topic: error: Avast Service is not running  (Read 21368 times)

EdRey

error: Avast Service is not running
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »
After updating to Avast 8 free yesterday, the program has stopped running today. The tray icon first notified me of this by indicating that the system shields were not running. When I attempt to restart them, I received the error message "Unable to start the "File" System Shield! (or any other shield) Shield unreachable. I then tried to going through Windows 8 "Programs & Features" to activate the "Uninstall/repair" feature, as I found as a general solution on this forum. When I attempt this I get the error: Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast 5\setup\part-setup_abp-ffffffff.vpx" Setup cannot continue.
Under the maintenance heading of the user interface, under "Update engine and virus definitions" it is indicated that;
Current version: unknown;
Release date: unknown;
Steaming updates: enabled;
Connection: connection not established;
Latest update received: --- ,
and finally at the bottom under "Update program: Current version: 8.01483
I have attempted to restore my computer to a previous date (prior to the update) with no success on 3 attempts (I get the error message indicating "the restore was unsuccessful due to probable action of an installed antivirus program" (Avast is the only one installed other than Windows defender, which was deactivated also but working fine now) . As it stands now, I am unable to activate the program (the activation code seems to have been lost somehow?), enable the shields, repair the program, remove the program, re-install the program or delete the program files manually and re-install the program. Needless to say I am in need of some assistance. If I can not get the program running, I intend to boot the system from a bootable windows 8 repair drive, go to a c prompt and remove all the Avast files manually. I am hesitant to re-install the program again as I don't want to have to go through this procedure a second time as it has taken 4 hours so far.  Any thoughts?

Diddy

Re: error: Avast Service is not running
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:06:30 AM »
HI I would like to ask a question what operating system are you using with avast 8 free? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:29:31 AM »
have you tried avast repair?

controlpanel > ad remove programs > avast > uninstall > repair option.....wait two minutes and reboot

any change?

marktee98

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:16:29 PM »

I have the same problem. I know nothing about computers. I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

It started when Avast! told me to update last week. I installed the update and allowed the reboot. Upon reboot, my computer crashed, then when I pushed the button to shut it off and restart it, it did the scan thing. All files were checked and I thought everything was ok. The windows would not start at all. It was a black screen with an hourglass.
I pushed the power switch and shut it down, then restarted it. I eventually used F8 and tried Safe Mode, no luck. So I used F8 then selected "Boot from last good configuration" or something like that. That worked, but Avast is broken.

I notice in the registration window, it says I have zero days left, but the date of expiration is the middle of next month.

I am using a paid-for version of Avast! Not the free one.

I tried to repair from the Control Panel, and did a reboot when asked, Avast! is still Broken!

EdRey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »
I am running Windows 8, I have tried all the options mentioned so far, but no luck

marktee98

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »

I have finally worked mine out. I uninstalled Avast! and re-installed it from the original package I had downloaded in 2011. Using the file I saved from when I purchased it, I was able to install and update without issue.
  Now version 8 is running fine on my machine.

Windows XP Professional SP 3

EdRey

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:22 AM »
Thanks for the input, seeing as I am unable to remove, repair or update the current program, I am going to try and replace the corrupted file indentifier vcx file.

shihtzu

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »
Hi all looking at your replys has anyone got the answer it says nothing has been posted for 20 days but there is no result does nobody know how to fix this??????

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »
When "Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast 5\setup\part-setup_abp-ffffffff.vpx" Setup cannot continue" appears and repair Avast! failed, the next step is to reinstall Avast! from scratch and running aswclear.exe for older versions first and then for version 8. Follow this instructions please.

Install from scratch:

1.) Very important to remove all remains of other AVs installed before Avast. Use this site to execute uninstall utilities for other AVs.

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

2.) Download and save to your desktop aswclear.exe

3.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!. Be sure to have your lincense handy if running a paid version.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

4.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

5.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature ( Vista, W7 ) or Add and remove programs ( XP ). Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6   

6.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 5, it is important to run aswclear.exe in safe mode for any Avast! you may have had before,e.g. v.6 o v.7, and then for v. 8. Reboot into normal mode after uninstall.

How to use aswclear: http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB10#idt_02

NOTE: aswclear has the ability to make your system go into Safe Mode. Just run it in normal mode and follow instructions.

7.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

Be aware. Avast! will offer Chrome during installment. Remember to opt-out if you do not want it.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:20:37 AM by iroc9555 »

shihtzu

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:14:42 AM »
Hi Thank you for the information but when I try to run aswclear.exe the self defence switchs it self on I do not know what to do next

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
With the latest version of aswclear you don't have to first be in safe mode to run aswclear (avast Uninstall Utility). When you run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode) when you answer Yes.

So did you run aswclear in normal mode and did you get that dialogue to run in safe mode and did you answer Yes ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shihtzu

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
hi DavidR yes I got that message but what do <i do when I boot up do not know much about computers  I am using a HP AMD Athlon(tm)
64x2 duel core pros 3800+ 199ghz 168ram with win xp sp3

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
All you should need to do is answered Yes to the request to run it in safe mode, it should shutdown the system and do the reboot into safe mode for you.

Does it do that ?

If so (working from memory here) it should run the aswclear.exe file. If it doesn't you should run it.
You should  continue with the steps as previously mentioned, but here is a refresh:
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, which you should already have downloaded, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shihtzu

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
Hi davidR asw will not run at all I cannot download new avast and sorry but I do not know what to do in safe mode
thank you for trying

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
Why won't it run, what errors or notices are you getting ?

If we can get it to run it should handle the boot into safe mode and start the uninstall utility.
Once you get into safe mode it is a case of finding the aswclear.exe file and running it as outlined in the other instructions and in the link iroc9555 gave, http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB10#idt_02.