Author Topic: identifying firewalls on my comp  (Read 11787 times)

Musicmaker

identifying firewalls on my comp
« on: March 07, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »
In order to uninstall Norton and install Avast, I also have to disable all the firewalls that may be running on my computer.  I apologize if this is a dumb question for you - but how do I find out what firewalls I have, where they are?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: identifying firewalls on my comp
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:12:14 PM »
You should surely know what firewall you are using? It normally has and Icon in the system tray.

If you have XP SP2 are you? Then you can check the Windows Firewall in the control panel. Or check your windows help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:14:09 PM »
1] You don't have to disable a firewall to uninstall Norton
2] You will only have the firewall(s) you installed. (eg Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm, Kerio or whatever you did install)

To remove NAV 2003 (and earlier) there is a remover util
To remove NAV 2004 (and later) add/remove programs and follow the instructions on the Symantec website.
For both are links here on this board

EDIT:
Remove NAV 2004 (and up)
NAV2003 remover
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 02:18:33 PM by Eddy »

Musicmaker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:33:26 PM »
I have disabled the Norton internet security firewall in the past because I've been trying to figure out a way to view my own web page.  Which I still can't unless I completely disable NIS.  This is one of the reasons I am switching to avast - with Norton, I am vulnerable.   Of course, I suppose I could just "live with it" and forget about viewing my own webpage, or view my own posts to the newsgroup I am active in.  NOT!

At one point I downloaded service pack 2 from Windows and even more problems starting popping up - so I'll be downloading it again once I've switched to avast.  I have, I hope, all the information I need to uninstall Norton and install avast.  signing off, temporarily I hope.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 03:51:12 PM »
If you can/can't see your website depends a lot on where/how it is hosted. Firewall and AV software shouldn't be causing any problems if properly setup. (that is if you run the website from your own server)

If you upload the pages to (eg:) your providers space, than they don't matter at all. Unless you have a malfunctioning av or firewall or a really really really strange setup.

I suggest:
- first remove NAV
- install SP2
- install Avast
May want to run a scan afterwards to make sure nothing sneeked in.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »
Sorry Eddy to butt in,
I've found that The SecurityCenter (Part of SP2) is more likely to recognize avast!
as a security partner if it's already on your computer before you upgrade to SP2.
I would therefore recommend the following order:
- first remove NAV and reboot
- install Avast reboot and then
- install SP2

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Musicmaker

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm back!  1.  unplugged the phone line
2.  uninstalled norton using the add/remove in Windows
3.  ran the Rnav2003 program to get the rest of it
4. ran a search for everything that contained the words symantec, or norton, or antivirus, and if it wasn't avast, I deleted it and then emptied the recycle bin.
5. rebooted
6.  installed avast
7. installed outpost firewall, and subsequently had to turn it off 'cause I couldn't use email  or ie
7. registered avast, am awaiting key so I can update

So I think I'm still without a firewall - but I can view my own web page now!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 06:51:32 PM »
7. installed outpost firewall, and subsequently had to turn it off 'cause I couldn't use email  or ie
Could be because the apropiate settings for Avast weren't added yet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 06:57:58 PM »
7. registered avast, am awaiting key so I can update
In the meantime you can choose the Demo button this will give 60 days unrestricted use, plenty of time to get your registration key.

In Outpost you need to allow access to ashMaiSv.exe, ashWebSv.exe and avast.setup (try a manual update and outpost should ask for permission for this, allow)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Musicmaker

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005, 08:32:18 PM »
Outpost updated itself, but I was still unable to do email or even come here unless I turned it off.  I think its a matter of learning the software.  After updating, I got a window that says my version is outdated and I need to update to pro, which of course means $$.  I've gathered from reading at this website and others that the pay version isn't necessary for a stand alone home computer, right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 09:07:37 PM »
I've gathered from reading at this website and others that the pay version isn't necessary for a stand alone home computer, right?

You can stay with the free version.
Or you can use Sygate, or Kerio, or ZoneAlarm for free.
You don't have to use the professional version.

But, solving your problem, can you list the avast components allowed to connect into the Applications settings of your Outpost?
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 09:11:34 PM »
I had same problems with Outpost before, and no matter what steps I made to fix those problems, nothing helped. Outpost started to act like crazy sometimes... I contacted people from Agnitum, no one ever responded... the only thing that gave me back my internet connection was completely disabling Outpost.

I finally uninstalled it, removed every single registry key Outpost related, installed Sygate latest version (of course, freeware) and never ever had single problem with it. I uninstalled Sygate few weeks ago, just because I like to test some other products from time to time. Right now I'm back to ZoneAlarm freeware version and so far, it behaves as every good firewall should behave. It's unbelievable easy to use, especially for beginners, and gives you great protection. I'm also behind my hardware router/firewall, and it works perfect with ZA and/or Sygate.

Try one of those two, and you'll not regret. Of course, you have to completely uninstall Outpost and all traces of it in registry.

My recommendation is to go with ZA, especially 'cause I've noticed that you stated in your initial post that you have no clue about firewalls. ZA will give you great protection with minimal requested user interaction.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Musicmaker

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 10:26:58 PM »
Rather than fight with all this, I took S.Z.'s advice.  Zone Alarm is up and running.  Is there a way I can test my ports and port visibility within avast or zone alarm?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 10:32:26 PM »
www.grc.com - You are looking for shields up.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 10:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the link, David, can't remember if I'd ever tried that one before.

Musicmaker will be happy to know that my ZA free (with Internet protection set to High, which I think is their default anyway) scored 100 percent stealth.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent