Author Topic: I must have screwed up  (Read 9758 times)

fire

Re: I must have screwed up
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
David will I have to do them one at a time,,you know avast7,,then a reboot to do avast8,,,btw when I did try it on the laptop it didn't select a path,,I would have to enter it myself. Thanks for the help,,,so far everything's still working OK on the good computer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
No as my original instructions said in item 2:
Quote from: DavidR
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

I see no need to reboot in between runs for the uninstall utility.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fire

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
David if I have to remove more than one version do you have to reboot after each one?

Sorry this post was entered by mistake

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
No, as you only have one version currently installed all that the uninstall utility is doing is a belt and braces clean up of possible remnants after previous normal uninstalls.

The utility is looking for the presence of registry items and old files/folders remaining after an uninstall or failed uninstall. Avast isn't running in safe mode so you don't have to constantly reboot to apply the changes as such.

So you boot into safe mode ONCE and run the uninstall utility as many times as are required, starting with the earliest previously installed version of avast to the latest version of avast. As I said this will in most cases be first for avast7 then for avast8.

When you have completed those runs of the uninstall utility then you reboot and do the clean install the latest avast version.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fire

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
OK tried it on the laptop,,,was only able to uninstall one version at a time but,,,1st I uninstalled avast7,,,had to reboot to do avast8,,but when I ran the asw it stil  shows avast7,,Ok so I then asked it to uninstall avast8,,,rebooted,,,ran the asw again it it still shows avast7 and 8,,decided I better not screw anything else up so I installed a fresh copy of avast8,,,if I did everything right,,,should the avast7 and 8 still have shown after I thought I uninstalled both of them??? I told you I could screw it up,,,lol. I'm not worried at all about the computer I'm testing this on. 

I guess I could have just started the aswclear.exe again from where I saved it to,,but didn't think of that until now,,stupid me. I'm just stumped as to why avast 7 and 8 were still listed. When I did say it was OK to uninstall each of them the dialog in the box below the list said they were uninstalled.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:44:31 PM by fire »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
I can't understand why you couldn't uninstall more than one version at a time, mainly because you don't say why, errors, etc. But you are in essence only uninstalling one at a time, run it for one, when it is complete run it again for the next.

It will still show avast7 in the list, in the same way it shows the whole slew of other avast programs that you have never had installed, it is a drop down list for all avast versions not all installed versions.

fire

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
OK thanks for clearing up why the versions still were showing,,and as to why I couldn't uninstall more than one version at a time,,after I clicked on avast 7 for instance the remove button allowed me to use it,,but after doing one version the remove button turned gray and I couldn't do another version without exiting the asw and coming back. That computer is running vista so maybe thats why,,I don't know. Really doesn't matter at this point as I'm still going to wait and see if the avast installed on our good computer reverts to the pro/paid edition. I reinstalled it last Monday, the 18th of March and so far everythings OK.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:00:39 PM by fire »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
You're welcome.

fire

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
David I'll keep you informed on how I make out,,there's no need to reply.