Author Topic: Replacing my PC means use another license?  (Read 2339 times)

steven_gpx

Replacing my PC means use another license?
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:16:22 AM »
I have purchased Avast Internet Security 8 yesterday and I am able to install the license to 3 PCs and active for 2 years.

I have installed 1 license to my current PC. However, I have a question. If I replace my PC with the new one someday, It means I lost all my programs including this antivirus.
When I install the Avast to my new PC, can I use my first license by restore it via registration email? or should I use my license again which means I have already use 2 licenses?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Replacing my PC means use another license?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
hi steven_gpx,

Since the proposed PC replacement is for a new and different machine, you would lose the first license of the original three.  You would need to use a second license to activate avast! on your new machine.

So, no, a license for a specific machine is not transferable.

You bring up an interesting point.  Without a backup plan in place, you will lose all your personal files, which to me, is more important than losing the ability to run certain programs that are tied by licenses to the old computer that died?

Imaging software is available to back up your hard drive in case it should ever fail or even for cases where it gets infected with malware.  Some of these programs are free and work just as well as paid.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Replacing my PC means use another license?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
If this is only in relation to avast licenses, then that isn't entirely correct.
- If you have an old system that you are going to replace, uninstall the existing avast installation before disposal. Install avast on the new system and you can use that license file again on the new system.

Your license is for 3 systems, if you still have 3 systems it isn't an issue.

####
As far as windows goes, those licenses aren't transferable if they are OEM versions, as that is tied to that system . However a retail version of the OS (which costs more) is meant to be transferable to a new system. But there are weird rules for software licensing across the board, so we really can only relate to avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security