Author Topic: IM shield, p2p shield, file system shield not starting  (Read 11183 times)

clare99

IM shield, p2p shield, file system shield not starting
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
Hello there

I stumbled on this issue in trying to play oh, just about any youtube video. I tried to update my player software and suddenly I can't. My Avast is not functioning. I have an error message that my "IM shield, P2P shield, and file system shield" is not starting. Help??!

I do not know what to do. I am concerned I am completely unprotected from viruses right now.

C

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: IM shield, p2p shield, file system shield not starting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
Windows XP: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> avast> Repair

Windows Vista / Windows 7/windows 8/: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> Programs and Features> avast> Repair

pcrouch666

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
I've just performed a system restore and Avast is reporting this same fault. I have tried the repair mentioned above but without luck.

It reports that 'the following components could not be started: IM shield, P2P shield, File System shield'

Any help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Zipdaddy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
I'm having the same problem.  Hope somebody can help.
Zip

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:18:35 PM »
did you reboot after the repair?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »
Hello there

I stumbled on this issue in trying to play oh, just about any youtube video. I tried to update my player software and suddenly I can't. My Avast is not functioning. I have an error message that my "IM shield, P2P shield, and file system shield" is not starting. Help??!

I do not know what to do. I am concerned I am completely unprotected from viruses right now.

C
I've just performed a system restore and Avast is reporting this same fault. I have tried the repair mentioned above but without luck.

It reports that 'the following components could not be started: IM shield, P2P shield, File System shield'

Any help is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul
I'm having the same problem.  Hope somebody can help.
Zip
hi clare99, pcrouch666, Zipdaddy:

There is a clue here.  Doing a system restore will result in avast! not working properly if the self-protection module is not disabled first.  Is that true for all instances above?  After a successful system restore, the self-protection module can be reactivated.

avast! gui>Settings>Troubleshooting>untick box for Enable avast! self-protection module>close gui

Any particular reason system restore was used in at least one instance?

If the above advice does not apply, since this is the OP's thread, please start your own topic as your situation may differ significantly from the OP's.

Otherwise, use avast! repair to regain full functionality.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116114.0

EDIT:  Note the advice given in the above link/thread is different from user jefferson santiag, and is correct.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:04:46 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

mronge

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
I encounted just the same problem as described by clare99 in the initial post:

The Avast Icon in the status bar shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. On the overview screen ("House" tab) there is a yellow field at the left side saying "Achtung - Some shields are off: Einschalten". (mixed german and english there). If I click "Einschalten" [switch on] it says (in german) that the components IM protection, P2P protection and file system protection cannot be startet.

• I found out that in the account settings no account was connected and connected it to the e-mail address again
  • I have the latest version 8.0.1483 installed
  • I restarted windows
  • I tried restarting the Windows Service. I found it running and could restart it after confirming the alert.
  • I tried resetting the database in Software updater > troubleshooting and restarted windows
  • I used the repair tool from Control Panel > Uninstall/change programs as you suggested. Windows restarted again
  • I performed a manual system scan (which was possible) which didn't discover any virus.

None of them helped. System is Windows 7 32 bit. There is no other antivirus software installed but there is ThreatFire, which is a heuristics program and frequently recommended in computer journals to be used together with avast (and Secunia PSI for updates) to have a round secured system. Finally I found the solution:

For whatever reason ThreadFire has locked some of the Avast components. First I removed that lock from "Global Action List" > "Locked". After restarteing windows, the problem remains but the message that the components IM protection, P2P protection and file system protection cannot be startet doesn't show up any more. I then re-ran the repair tool form Control Panel > Uninstall/change programs which finally brought it back to life again.

I hope this can help somebody out there.