Author Topic: new guy needs help  (Read 5968 times)

frustratedd

new guy needs help
« on: March 08, 2005, 03:45:54 AM »
I am in dire straits.  I installed asast..the free version 4.5 I believe yesterday.  Prior to instalation my computer was running fine.  After installation and upon running the program for the first time my system locked up and brought the dreaded blue screen.  After this I have not been able to log onto windows.  As the loading screen beiging it take me directly to the blue screen and restarts.  I cannot even start windows in safe mode.  Ive checked to be sure that its not a hardware program.  Any help yould be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: new guy needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 03:50:52 AM »
What exact error is there on the BSOD?

frustratedd

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 06:15:36 AM »
Im still working on it but as of yet I cannot identfy the error.  As soon as the screen appears the computer restarts.  I have tried print screen and pause but to no avail.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 06:31:45 AM »
Perhaps taking a picture of it with a digital cam is possible.

solar

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 11:40:33 AM »
Hi. I'm brand new here too - and I have exactly the same infuriating problem. I imagine I must have some kind of trojan. The main problem I had encountered Thursday, when I updated last updated the Avast exe. It asked me to reset the machine after installation, which I refused to do because I had other tasks online I wanted finished with. I waited approximately half an hour and then reset it, whereupon I was greeted with the XP boot failure prompt and a subsequent automated reset. I tried several times to gain access, whereupon first the ntfs.sys driver failed into a reset, then the Mup.sys driver, but eventually managed to get booted up using Safe Mode with Networking - how, I don't exactly understand, as it seemed completely random to me at the time.

Anyways - to cut a long story short, I found I had several viruses on running a full Avast scan in safe mode, but unfortunately do not recall their names (grr), moved them to the chest (as suggested) and (assuming that all would be fine, henceforth) continued to reset XP into normal operation. However, after shutting down this session, I returned after the weekend's inactivity to the exact same problem encountered previous - except this time, there's no entrance permitted into the OS, as the machine resets upon encountering Mup.sys on the safe mode's command-line interface, or just a few notches along the progress bar (in normal bootup) and then a reset.

To compound this problem, I can't repair XP right now because I've mislaid the setup cd along with my caviar drivers . . .  >:(

Any more information regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Although I do expect it could be fixed by an XP setup repair on certain system files, together with another scan with a new Avast update . . ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 11:50:59 AM »
frustratedd: There should be some (recent) files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Are they?

solar

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 11:52:01 AM »
BTW, my system spec is:

MS XP SP 2 (ack!)
AthlonXP 2100
Latest Version of Avast!
Adaware SE (latest update from 03/03/05)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 12:18:19 AM »
It looks like Windows installation got corrupt. Been there, done that... not being able to boot into safe mode tells a lot. Are you experiencing constant (in circles) rebootings even if you try to boot in safe mode ? It starts to boot and after one point it just reboots the system... and every single time you try to boot into safe mode, it does the same no matter how many times you try... I solved that problem on many customer's PCs by repairing Windows installation. Don't use recovery console ! On how to repair your Windows installation, read carefully this wonderful web page:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you follow those steps exactly as mentioned in those instructions, you'll be fine... few hours of hard work, but eventually, everything will be OK at the end.

@solar - you said: "MS XP SP 2 (ack!)"

What's that "ack!" means ? Everyone accepted Service Pack 2 as very good update released by Microsoft. We are not back in 2004 anymore, when it was popular to hate SP2 for whatever reason some individuals had to choose. I run SP2 as many other people in these forums, without any problems.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 12:37:48 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

solar

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 04:20:12 PM »
Are you experiencing constant (in circles) rebootings even if you try to boot in safe mode ?

Yes.
Don't use recovery console !
Umm. Too late - the MBR has disappeared. >:(
read carefully this wonderful web page:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you follow those steps exactly as mentioned in those instructions, you'll be fine... few hours of hard work, but eventually, everything will be OK at the end.

Thanks - I sincerely hope so . . .

@solar - you said: "MS XP SP 2 (ack!)"

What's that "ack!" means ? Everyone accepted Service Pack 2 as very good update released by Microsoft. We are not back in 2004 anymore, when it was popular to hate SP2 for whatever reason some individuals had to choose. I run SP2 as many other people in these forums, without any problems.

Yes, well I'm one of the few here who have had problems with it - this being one of them. I've never actually had this happen to any PC of mine in the past, and although infections are inevitable, I'm seriously unimpressed with the fact that I swapped from AVGFree's history of pristine uninfection (approx. 2 weeks ago) to this dire strait.

Anyway - hopefully we can set it right. I'm an optimist.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:23:06 PM »
Umm. Too late - the MBR has disappeared.
Recovery console has the fixmbr option

solar

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 09:47:03 AM »
Recovery console has the fixmbr option

Unfortunately, those instructions don't allow me to use the recovery console . . .

And it doesn't matter anyway - RC simply restarts onload too, and even if I could use it, I would still have a virus that Avast! couldn't detect, and it would still keep restarting.

But I have other avenues of HD recovery I can try, even if this won't work.