Author Topic: How do I Save Individual Workstation Licenses?  (Read 3673 times)

lberman

How do I Save Individual Workstation Licenses?
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
I have Endpoint Protection for 25 workstations. If I replace a workstation or refurbish a workstation for a particular user, how do I retain that particular license to apply back to that new or refurbished workstation? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:46:44 AM by lberman »

wpn

Re: How do I Save Individual Workstation Licenses?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
do you have multiple license files or a single license file? do you use the soa or enterprise console?

multiple files:  personally no clue, should be able to have them resend to you by: http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php
single file: just reapply the license file after installing everything

soa/enterprise console:  just redeploy the client even though the client shows green in the console, the deployment job will ignore the green state in the console and just redeploy the software

lberman

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have a 25 license pack, which are deployed through the SOA interface to individual users. Here's an example of my confusion. Today I gave a new computer to a user who's old computer has a license from the 25. So I have to use a new license on the new computer. The old computer that has the license, I am going to refurbish it (reformat and reinstall) and issue it to another user. The license on that computer will be gone but I will still need to put a license on it for the next user. So it would seem, I'm going to lose a license. What can I do to make this not happen? Thanks.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Refurbish the computer as you usually would and redeploy after you refurbish it.  The SOA console will keep track of the licenses based on the active clients installed, once you reinstall it simply delete the old entry from SOA (shouldn't be one if you use the same computer name I think)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

wpn

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
this is how licensing works with the console, with the enterprise console, SOA has a neat feature i will point at on the bottom of the explanation:

The console scans the network for client devices. It will put them in a container and assign a license to the computer, even if you dont want that computer to have a license.
At the moment of installation of the avast client from the console, the license is also installed on the computer (green icon).
When you remove the avast client from a computer, the license will still belong to the computer according to the console (black icon since there is no contact anymore). If you re-image the computer and install avast client again, the license is installed again (green icon).
If you will not redeploy the computer in the network (trash) then you have to manually delete the computer from the container in the console to regain the license for another computer.
If you run out of licenses then new computers found by the console will get a greyish icon with a key, meaning there are no licenses for that particular computer.
To solve licensing problems often administrators disable the automatic discovery task finding new computer on the network. This way they are more in control over which computer gets a license, they run the discovery task manually when they need to add computers or add them manually to the console.

That is how enterprise console works. SOA however has a special container called UNMANAGED (at least it had last time i checked it out more then a year ago). If you put a computer in that container, then it will not get a license assigned to it, this way you gain control over which computers get a license and which not, without disabling any tasks.

(I put up an RFC for this licensing behaviour in the enterprise console)

lberman

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
Thank you for the extensive explanation. Is information like this put into the software manuals? Probably not. I appreciate the help.

wpn

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
your welcome.

Its not put in manuals the way i put it, but when you work with the product you gain that knowledge by experience :)