Author Topic: Multiple Users in Enterprise Console Questions  (Read 3257 times)

danjackson

Multiple Users in Enterprise Console Questions
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
I'm setting up the Enterprise Administration Console.  I'm under the impression that there is no web console for the Enterprise Console, correct?

If that is true, can I just run the Enterprise install and only install the server client software for multiple users to remote access the server?  On top of this, I'm having issues configuring multiple users.  I'd like to create a couple set of users, one simple to view events to corroborate virus notifications people receive, and another to do that and also run on demand scans.  I've looked into the user configuration and as far as I can tell, unless a user is an Administrator, I can't for the life of me see a way I can give a user access to the computer catalog.  Is it possible to give someone access to the computer catalog and only read events or run on demand scans?  I'm seeing little to no documentation on user configuration at all on this topic which leads me to the fear that there isn't much configuration on this topic at all.

Thanks for any help!

wpn

Re: Multiple Users in Enterprise Console Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
There is NO webconsole for the enterprise version, correct.

Why do you install antivirus software to get remote access to the server?  But yes you can install the enterprise console and choose only to install the clientsoftware on certain computers/servers, but the business product has no remote controlling the machine it gets installed on (like it can in the consumer product).

User management is not really implemented in the desired (also by other administrators) way that you describe, please refer to the RFC thread (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116835.0) and make addition to it please.

danjackson

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:57:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I think I might have not done a very good job explaining what I'm after.

I'm looking to have different users in the console.  For example, I'd like to maybe have our helpdesk have access to the enterprise console and remotely start on demand scans, but not do much else.  I'm hoping to just install the console on another machine, create and manage user accounts for administration through that means.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you said, but I'm not looking to remote into clients at all.

Thanks for your help!

wpn

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
we both are talking about the same thing :)  Just to be sure i checked on my console what your (limited) possibilities are:

under the users you can make groups and individual users in those groups.
On every individual task that you have in the console you can set ACCESS RIGHTS (right click on a task), tehre you have to add/remove the groups and rights for those groups.

So you can make groups and assign those to the tasks with some rights, but i dont know how much more control the users that can login get over system settings.
Its a very labor intensive way tho, but thats how you can (partially) do it.

Id like to see a better system in place for this, in combination with AD useraccounts. :)

danjackson

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
Ah.  Thank you for that.  I was simply going into the properties of the user groups and assuming that's all there was.  I hadn't put two and two together for the Access Rights.

While as you said, tedious and not too flexible, it's something to work with at least.

Thanks

wpn

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
your welcome and goodluck.... :)