Author Topic: Avast 7 service runs fine, but after upgrade to Avast 8 the service will not run  (Read 2030 times)

TCS1

Hi,

A client of mine has a copy of Avast Internet Security that ran fine in version 7. After they updated to Avast 8 it stopped working pretty much all together. It shows that none the shields are enabled. It shows that the subscription has 0 days, even though it reports the subscription is active. They have a three year license that they purchased in November that was inserted properly. If I try to insert the license file again it gives me a RPC error.

Under Windows services the Avast service is not started, but it is set to automatic. However the Avast firewall service is started without any issues. If I try to start the regular Avast service it starts and then stops and Windows reports that this is normal behavior for some programs. I checked on my other computers that run Avast and the service is always running.

I have tried doing a repair install of Avast IS 8 and it did not work. I ran the Avast removal tool in safe mode and re-installed Avast IS 8 and it did not fix the problem. I tried doing a repair install again and no luck.
After running the Avast removal tool I downloaded the free version of Avast 8 and installed it and it had the same issues. I ran the removal tool again. This time I installed a free version of Avast 7. That worked great. Everything was as it should be. I than ran the program updater which installed the free version of Avast 8. Once again the Avast service was not running and Avast was not working correctly.

My client is very frustrated that they had a working program only a couple days ago until they updated to Avast 8.

They are running Windows XP SP 3.

Let me know how we can proceed.