Author Topic: Problems streaming HTTP stream  (Read 13747 times)

mjwsjw

Problems streaming HTTP stream
« on: March 08, 2005, 03:17:27 PM »
I have been having problems streaming an audio stream using the HTTP protocol in the WinMedia Player ver 10.  I can start a stream...and after maybe 30-60 minutes, the stream starts struggling...showing network congestion, buffering, etc.

I have a cable modem (5mbps down) so speed should be the problem.  I understand it could be a server issue...but I can start the same stream on another XP machine with the same media player, using the same cable modem stream...and it will work for extended lengths of time without a problem.

This seems to be unique to this one machine...I have purposefully configured both computers to be as identical as possible...same versions of Windows, same versions of media player, etc.

The machine that has the problem is also running Avast-Home...4.6.  Is it possible that some of the "on demand" scanners could be causing this delay in the HTTP stream? 

This has really frustrated me and caused me concern.  The machine that works fine is running Norton Anti-virus.  The virus protection is the main difference I can see between the two machines...other than of course different hardware, etc.

This problem seems to have something to do with streaming over an extended length of time...the first 0-30 minutes are usually perfect...but it is after that time that problems start to occur.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Problems streaming HTTP stream
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 05:00:17 PM »
Try the latest beta, if it helps. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11828.0

mjwsjw

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 06:01:12 PM »
Did the latest beta address issues with the webshield?  Does it make sense that the webshield would cause this kind of problem?  I don't know how the webshield works, but it seems like over time something is bogging down this machine.

Thanks.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 06:08:18 PM »
In the latest beta refresh several kinds of streaming media problems were addressed. Especially shoutcast stream and several Microsoft specific streaming protocols were analyzed and their support extended. If you have specific URL which causes problems for you, please post it here so we can test it and perhaps consider some other solution. Thanks.

Lukas.

mjwsjw

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 09:26:23 PM »
I disabled the Webshield, Network Shield, and P2P shield...we have been able to stream an HTTP stream for several hours without problems.  It isn't the same stream that I was trying over the weekend, but it is the same protocol.

We had trouble with other HTTP streams as well...so I don't think it is unique to the stream but rather the protocol.

Does it make sense that the Shields would cause my problem?

Would it be okay for me to enable the network shield and the P2P shield?  Do you think they would conflict?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 10:15:19 PM by mjwsjw »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:40:02 PM »
Most propably it's the WebShield provider that's interfering. Give me the link, I'll try that and will say you if this has been already fixed or not.

mjwsjw

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 12:10:23 AM »
Here is the stream that I had problems with all weekend:

http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/playlists/knct/knctKNCT.asx

It usually started out good...but after 30 minutes or so we started having problems.  If you would look at the Statistics screen in WinMedia Player, it would show the maximum speed to be 23kbps, but the selected rate would drop to 20kbps and/or it would start stopping to rebuffer.  I'm testing this stream now with the Shields all turned off.  It still started bogging down after about 20 minutes.  So, either it isn't the Shields or else they aren't completely turned off.

I found another HTTP stream that runs at 64mbps...we streamed it today with the Shields off and it work well for over 9 hours.

Thanks for your help...overall I'm very happy with Avast-Home.  Good job!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 12:31:58 AM by mjwsjw »

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 12:33:09 AM »
mjwsjw
91.3 has beautiful music and works very well if you use JetAudio.
Click on the link to my webpage and pick it up from there.
By the way, thanks for the link. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

mjwsjw

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 02:54:55 PM »
Well, I did more testing.  I have a machine that runs Win98 with Avast 4.6, it struggles to play the test stream as well.  Both of the machines that struggle are connected to the same SMC router via ethernet.  The Win98 machine is a 500mhz machine.

Out of three computers, the only one that will play the stream without struggling is my laptop, running at 800 mhz on batteries (AMD 3000+ chip) over a wireless network (that doesn't test near as fast as the two computers connected via wire!)

The common denominators are:

Both machines run Avast-Home 4.6
Both machines share the same network/internet connection

My XP Machine is a AMD 2100 running at 1.7 mhz.

Is it possible that even with the WebShield off that Avast is still processing the HTTP stream?  I'm running this stream at work on my work computer, with a slower internet connection...so far it seems to be fine.  At work we have Symantec Anti-Virus.

I've also noticed that different streams use different codecs...would that have anything to do with how Avast works?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:11:10 PM by mjwsjw »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 03:28:42 PM »
Well, I did more testing.  I have a machine that runs Win98 with Avast 4.6, it struggles to play the test stream as well.  Both of the machines that struggle are connected to the same SMC router via ethernet.  The Win98 machine is a 500mhz machine.

Is it possible that even with the WebShield off that Avast is still processing the HTTP stream?  I'm running this stream at work on my work computer, with a slower internet connection...so far it seems to be fine.  At work we have Symantec Anti-Virus.

Did you setup the HTTP proxy in internet explorer (on you win98 machine)? If not, WebShield does not affect any download stream. The only other provider that might interfere with the traffic is Network Shield, but again, this provider is not available on Win9x machines. Standard resident protection scans only files, but streaming media is not stored to any file on your disk so Standard shield would not interfere even if you set it up to scan audio content. So after all I doubt it has anything to do with avast - if the problems does not stop when avast is turned off.

But please check the proxy setting in IE a turn it off to see if the problem persists.

Lukas.

mjwsjw

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 03:46:37 PM »
I did enable the Webshield on the Win98 machine.  I've tested this stream now on four different machines...the two with Avast consistently have problems...the two without Avast don't have the problem.  Very interesting.

I have discovered that if I increase the buffer size on the two machines with Avast that it will play fine.  So, it does indicate to me that something is slowing the stream down...if it isn't Avast I don't know what it would be...other than just simple processor speed, but I would think a 1.7mhz machine with 512 RAM could play a 23kbps audio stream...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 03:49:51 PM by mjwsjw »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 04:23:18 PM »
mjwsjw,

are we talking about the latest pre release version or the original 4.6.603?

I thought you said that you have problems even with avast disabled (that is, HTTP proxy is disabled in IE). Is this still the case?

If you have problems only with webshield enabled and version 4.6.603 I must encourage you to test the latest pre-release version. It should help.

Lukas.

mjwsjw

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 04:29:10 PM »
I must have misunderstood...I believe i have the latest officially released version...not the pre-release.

On my XP machine, I have only disabled Webshield using your program and selecting Pause.  I have done nothing in IE.

The same is true of the Win98 machine...I paused the Webshield.

Are you saying there is something else I need to do to disable Webshield?  Something in IE?

Sorry if I seem confused...

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 05:15:12 PM »
Hmm, something is needed to enable WebShield under win98. Please see the help file - that means, you are not using WebShield under win98. So I doubt it could interefere.

mjwsjw

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 05:51:22 PM »
Yes, I went through the steps in the Help file to enable Webshield on my Win98 machine...I did that a few days ago.  So, I believe it is possible for the Webshield to interfere.

I did not do anything on the XP machine.  How do I completely disable your Webshield program?  Is pausing it through your software the way, or do I need to change something in the Internet Options?  That is my question.

I thought I could disable it by Pausing the provider (in the XP environment) but do I need to do something else?  Please advise.

Did you test the stream that I posted?