Author Topic: Problem with VRDB  (Read 4806 times)

gtaillandier

Problem with VRDB
« on: September 11, 2005, 06:34:22 PM »
I have version 4.6.691 of avast Home Edition and I have the following problem.
I want to generate the VRDB, I right-click on the icon in the systray and 'VRDB' and I choose 'Generate now' ( generate when computer is idle is checked too ). No problem. Some minutes later, the generation is stopped ( 'generate now' is no more checked and there's no date of generation in main menu of avast.

Can someone tell me where the problem comes from ?

Sincerely.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Problem with VRDB
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »
Please see this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14540.0  Last two posts

gtaillandier

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 08:53:10 PM »
I thought that when I press "generate now", it generates the VRDB immediately without testing whether I've checked "generate when idle" or "generate when screen saver is active".
I was wrong, no ? The only effect of "generating now" is to avoid the interval of 21 days after the last generation. But the condition remain available : computer idle or screen save active. Am I right ?

Sincerely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:11:54 PM »
I thought that when I press "generate now", it generates the VRDB immediately without testing whether I've checked "generate when idle" or "generate when screen saver is active".
I was wrong, no ? The only effect of "generating now" is to avoid the interval of 21 days after the last generation. But the condition remain available : computer idle or screen save active. Am I right ?
Fully right, first and second assumptions.
The best things in life are free.

gtaillandier

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 09:25:12 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers that help me fully.

Just another question : when avast generates VRDB when the computer is idle, at a moment the computer is no more idle. How Avast knows where to restart when the computer returns to the idle state ?

Sincerely.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 09:41:51 PM »
I'm not using autogeneration option, but as far as I remember... just try to move your mouse then avast generates vrdb in "run on idle" settings  ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 10:08:31 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers that help me fully.

Just another question : when avast generates VRDB when the computer is idle, at a moment the computer is no more idle. How Avast knows where to restart when the computer returns to the idle state ?

Sincerely.

If you wade through the ini, somewhere in it (I think there's a VRDB "paragraph") there's a line where avast records the last file done, so it knows where to resume again.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 11:09:11 PM »
Like Mike said, the last file name (executable) is stored...
The best things in life are free.