Author Topic: Context menu scan feedback  (Read 9867 times)

Nicolas

Re: Context menu scan feedback
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »
I'm running Win2k and use FAT32 (for compatibility reasons). The filecounts of Avast are almost always correct. It is probably NTFS that causes the overcount, so Igor is right.

It may occur that a file contains actually more files in spite of not being shown as an archive or folder. Very common with viruses !   

TheEvilHammer

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 12:27:25 AM »
You are correct in assuming that I am using NTFS.  However, as I mentioned before, I've used other virus scanners (under Windows XP using NTFS) that did not have this problem, so it seems obvious that it's an avast! problem.

Also, the files I'm scanning definitely do not have embedded or recursive files within them (and don't have any viruses either) - I'm only scanning .mp3's, text documents, and the like.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 12:47:52 AM »
I've tested it on 8 systems. All XP pro, ntfs.
Avast is displaying the correct amount of files scanned.
No mather what filetype I scanned or how many files I scanned.

So it is not a problem from Avast.
The real question is: "Where are the ADS's on your systems come from?"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 03:40:11 AM by Eddy »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 03:22:36 AM »
Thought I might as well get into this discussion.  I downloaded the attached file that was sent showing the scanned results and noticed while no message shows unless the option to show the results is set to do so there is a very quick message which disappeared very quickly.  Even so I was able to read the message and I notice ONE file scanned in the message.

I though ah ha, maybe when I set Avast to show the results of the scan then it will some how effect the result and I would see TWO files like the others in this thread are seeing. 

So I scanned the file again with Avast set to show the scanned results and I am happy to say that I still only get ONE file scanned.  So I tried a WORD document and scanned the file and again I get ONE file scanned.

So it would appear that I don't have the same problem that the others in this thread have.   ;D

I am using WIN98SE with MS Office 97.  Of course the downloaded JPEG file that was attached in this thread would have nothing to do with MS Office 97 so the version of WORD would not seem to be the problem.

Possibly there is a setting in Avast that I do not have that others have set which could be the cause.  ???

Incidently I had no problems (so far) in regards to uninstalling 6 years and 2 versions worth of NAV2004 as so many others have.  One thing I made sure every aspect of NAV2004 was turned OFF before I did the uninstall which is possilby something others did not do.

I'm not usually this lucky...  :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 03:26:36 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 05:56:30 AM »
Incidently I had no problems (so far) in regards to uninstalling 6 years and 2 versions worth of NAV2004 as so many others have.  One thing I made sure every aspect of NAV2004 was turned OFF before I did the uninstall which is possilby something others did not do. I'm not usually this lucky...  :D
As I've posted elsewhere, I'm almost sure that the uninstallation problem was due to NAV2003.
NAV2004 has a better uninstall behavior and should not bring as many much problems after uninstalled as NAV2003.
The best things in life are free.

TheEvilHammer

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 08:25:51 PM »
Well, it seems that my computer has alternate data streams for some of my files and they are causing the miscount.  (I've looked into it briefly and found that some of the streams were put there by Internet Explorer when I downloaded files and some were put there by Kaspersky Anti-Virus).  I understand the importance of scanning the ADS's since they can be used maliciously to attach nasty things to legitimate files.  However, couldn't one argue that these ADS's shouldn't be added to the file count?  After all, they aren't separate files, but rather an extension of the data...

Or, maybe avast! could keep a separate count for files and ADS's?

After looking into this a bit more, I think I have stumbled on another potential avast! fault.  I've been scanning this one particular .pdf file I have with the modified version of ashQuick.exe that was posted above, and it displays this:

Scanning: <.pdf file>\UnnamedStream_1

However, I have analyzed that .pdf file with two separate ADS viewers (LADS and the Windows Shell Extension) and neither one shows any streams in that file.  Any ideas?