Author Topic: False Positives XP  (Read 2250 times)

Joe S

False Positives XP
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:19:10 AM »
Has anybody else noticed This? Lately I notice on an old Compaq from about 2006 with XP Home there seems to be false positives showing up in the preinstalled bloatware when I scan. Today it was in Programs Online Services. They appeared to be install file for things like AOL, Netscape,PeoplePC etc. Last week it was a couple of the HP junk files. If it wasn't such a chore I'd do a clean install.
Joe

bobo1

Re: False Positives XP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
You could uninstal through add and remove programs if the items are listed there and trim down win xp.
Do a test with malwarebytes free to check for spyware etc. Could be genuine virus detections & what are they.

Also what service pack are you on?

How many processes are running when pressing control alt delete?

Mine is at 26 processes on my laptop
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:23:08 PM by bobo1 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Has anybody else noticed This? Lately I notice on an old Compaq from about 2006 with XP Home there seems to be false positives showing up in the preinstalled bloatware when I scan. Today it was in Programs Online Services. They appeared to be install file for things like AOL, Netscape,PeoplePC etc. Last week it was a couple of the HP junk files. If it wasn't such a chore I'd do a clean install.
Joe
you dont tell us what detection name avast gave those files?

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
I don't have acces to the PC right now. They were showing up as adware installer. I submitted them to Avast and when I check at VirusTotal only Avast and one or two others detected as positive. There is so much crapware installed it's hard to figure what out you can get rid of safely. The ones in this post were not in remove programs. I think they were there so if you setup dialup internet connection you would choose one of them to install. I moved them to another folder and everything seems to run OK. My nephew is autistic and gets upset by changes or I would do a clean install but I don't think some of the freeware I helped him install is still available. It works for him to surf the web and whatever.
Joe

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
was the files detected as PUP ?