Author Topic: $169.99 scare tactics  (Read 12224 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: $169.99 scare tactics
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

Besides it is well known that if anyone is in need of help running any software or hardware the best place to get it is in the Forums..............

I'm not convinced this is an accurate assessment ???
Most people I have run across on the streets and in seminars use the "software tech lines" first and a good number of them have never known of or considered using the 'product forums' for many reasons ranging from 'lack of response' to just not "trusting" some stranger on a so-called forum assistance process.
I'm just saying  ;) :)

iroc9555

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
A bit OT sorry ElizabethA but...

That could be true. I may have generalized the statement a bit. However,

... a good number of them have never known of or considered using the 'product forums' for many reasons ranging from 'lack of response' to just not "trusting" some stranger ....

If they have never known or they have never considered to use the forums. How did they get no " response " to their questions or what made them not trust a member of the forum ;)

I think it is the other way around. After most people try the official support site, they end up in the forum looking for answers. Look at ElizabethA ( OP ), like her there are many others in this forum.

May be I've been lucky. I have asked for help in many forums; Avast!, DeLL, Comodo, McAfee, HP, Logitech, NVidia, Intell, Bleeping, SevenForums, SpywareHammer, MBAM, SAS, WinPatrol, Wilders, and others..Oh! forgot Castle Cops (I missed it), and always have got good help.

Regards.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »

Besides it is well known that if anyone is in need of help running any software or hardware the best place to get it is in the Forums..............

Most people I have run across on the streets and in seminars use the "software tech lines" first and a good number of them have never known of or considered using the 'product forums' for many reasons ranging from 'lack of response' to just not "trusting" some stranger on a so-called forum assistance process.
I'm just saying  ;) :)
I'm now part of this support forum because I originally came here to ask a question.
It's because of the way I was treated and the way in which my question was answered that I became involved with this forum.
I may not accept a drastic move from a person with only a few posts on this or any other forum but, anyone that has a substantial amount
of posts, either has proven their ability to help others or, they would long have gotten the boot. (Just my personal opinions. )
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
Fair enough guys.
 I personally have never used a "tech support line", and I only speak from my personal experience talking to others, my observations and perception. I still think there is a big portion of the PC world that feel they can only trust "tech support".
So back to the huge problem originally pointed out and that is the "pressure tactics'' used by the folks answering the tech support phone lines for Avast. :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »
Hi schmidthouse,

We can have some opinion about that, but down the line this is an avast! internal affair. Avast can also decide to damage itself through such practices.
Sad that such tactics will chase customers away and they are unlikely to come back after such a disappointing experience,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
Hi schmidthouse,

We can have some opinion about that, but down the line this is an avast! internal affair. Avast can also decide to damage itself through such practices.
Sad that such tactics will chase customers away and they are unlikely to come back after such a disappointing experience,

polonus

Agreed, absolutely. :)

ElizabethA

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »
I wish I had known of this support forum when I could not remove the Free Avast I had, and install the Pro Version that I purchased.  That was the only issue I had.  Even though I am new to this forum, I can not be discounted as an honest person with a problem that I had when I made the call to Avast Tech support.  This is, in fact an internal issue within Avast.   I had no opinion of Avast prior to this, and I had used the Free Version in the past with no issues.

Unfortunately, I was duped with the scare tactics of the nice young lady telling me that I had a Windows Issue...and her explanation of "how Windows is the brain of my computer"...and how "my computer screen is going to turn blue"..."we can fix this"..."do you have a credit card #".   I did explain that I had a new computer, and asked if I could resolve this on my own..."no it is a Windows problem and we can fix this within 2 hours".

I had tried to resolve this issue when I shut them down after 5 1/2 hours of control of our computer and we saw there was no Errors with Windows, or any Register Issues.  They did put our computer in Safe Mode, and removed the Free Avast. 

That was March 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm and I called to ask for a refund.  The tech phoned 10 minutes later, stating he left files on my computer and asked ask if I would remove them.  I explained I only wanted a refund, because I could have removed Avast in safe mode and I did not have a Windows problem.  He claimed he had called me 7 times to ask for me to input my password after they rebooted my computer.  I was available after the first call for this, and also available anytime thereafter. 

I even had to call when there was no activity on my screen for one hour.  They said Louis was out to lunch and put me on hold.  Magically, there was activity immediately for a moment. 

I did speak with someone last evening stating that they could not issue a refund because they had done a tune-up on my computer.  After I explained everything above this is what was stated:

I was promised an email confirming a refund.  I was told it would take 7-10 days for it to be posted to my bank account.  I have not received the email.  But, I have contacted my bank (they did in fact, take away the charge of $169.99 on March 21, 2013 and added them back on March 22, 2013), and also my Attorney Generals office with a complaint.

The facts are what they are. We had no issue with paying for services needed.  We do hold issue with scare tactics. 

ElizabethA

Boko

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 05:11:54 AM »
I did sign up for this service, with that said, I too was unhappy. I called the special number that they had provided and outlined my complaints.  It took about a week but I did get a refund. Here is how you should go about this. 1. write a ticket, this can be found at avast web site. 2. They will respond saying this is not the right avenue to get a refund, this is a support service through digital rivers. They will then give you their special number to call. 3. call the number and request a refund and document the name. 4. Take your avast ticket and responce from avast ticket along with your original order form from digital rivers and send this to "orders(at)avast(dot)com" , I intitled this "avast one year support, refund". Then include the digital river order number, your first and last name, reason for refund (their insturctions). I recieved a phone call from a supervisor within 24 hours. I had a calm chat with him and he undersood. He went on to say he would grant me a refund and to wait for a comformation email within 3 hours. I waited 2 days. I then sent the whole package stating what you had granted me a refund and that I was to recieve a email conformation. Within one day I recieved the comformation email and clicked on the link. (dont be fooled here) I called and spoke with a digital rivers agent at the special number. She stated she did recieve the comformation that I had just clicked on. She said it would take about a week to process. I had it back in my paypal account the next day. The whole thing boils down to: sent the request for refund to "orders(at)avast(dot)com". I found this to be confusing and lengthy but easy once I figured it out. However, I was sceptical about the comformation email I was directed to, but it worked. I would suggest to pay with paypal then if you have a problem you can arbitrate the situation with them if needed. Be calm,  and this may happen for you. However, what I experiance and what promted me to request a refund may be much different than your reason for refund. Good luck (I acually signed up just to help this person and to let her know she isnt alone).

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »
I wish I had known of this support forum when I could not remove the Free Avast I had, and install the Pro Version that I purchased.  That was the only issue I had.  Even though I am new to this forum, I can not be discounted as an honest person with a problem that I had when I made the call to Avast Tech support.  This is, in fact an internal issue within Avast.   I had no opinion of Avast prior to this, and I had used the Free Version in the past with no issues.

Unfortunately, I was duped with the scare tactics of the nice young lady telling me that I had a Windows Issue...and her explanation of "how Windows is the brain of my computer"...and how "my computer screen is going to turn blue"..."we can fix this"..."do you have a credit card #".   I did explain that I had a new computer, and asked if I could resolve this on my own..."no it is a Windows problem and we can fix this within 2 hours".

I had tried to resolve this issue when I shut them down after 5 1/2 hours of control of our computer and we saw there was no Errors with Windows, or any Register Issues.  They did put our computer in Safe Mode, and removed the Free Avast. 

That was March 20, 2013 at 9:45 pm and I called to ask for a refund.  The tech phoned 10 minutes later, stating he left files on my computer and asked ask if I would remove them.  I explained I only wanted a refund, because I could have removed Avast in safe mode and I did not have a Windows problem.  He claimed he had called me 7 times to ask for me to input my password after they rebooted my computer.  I was available after the first call for this, and also available anytime thereafter. 

I even had to call when there was no activity on my screen for one hour.  They said Louis was out to lunch and put me on hold.  Magically, there was activity immediately for a moment. 

I did speak with someone last evening stating that they could not issue a refund because they had done a tune-up on my computer.  After I explained everything above this is what was stated:

I was promised an email confirming a refund.  I was told it would take 7-10 days for it to be posted to my bank account.  I have not received the email.  But, I have contacted my bank (they did in fact, take away the charge of $169.99 on March 21, 2013 and added them back on March 22, 2013), and also my Attorney Generals office with a complaint.

The facts are what they are. We had no issue with paying for services needed.  We do hold issue with scare tactics. 

ElizabethA

Report the transaction as fraudulent to your card provider and give evidence of the false claims made.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

ElizabethA

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your input.  I had posted out of frustration, but I learned there are some sharp and good folks out there that are willing to help.  And, for free!  I appreciate that!
I am hopeful, that this situation will end in a positive manner. After calling again on 3/28/2013, after once again not receiving that "special email" they claim they are going to do "a manual refund" and it will post 7 day after Monday April 1st?  We will see.
I do want to include a link of a report of their tactics using a 3rd party Tech Support...  http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/aghast-at-avasts-iyogi-support/

This is exactly what happened to me.  And, there are more blogs out there with personal experiences of the same.

I hope any readers of this forum learn what I have learned, and use this forum to learn about the knowledge of you smart folks. 

ElizabethA

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your input.  I had posted out of frustration, but I learned there are some sharp and good folks out there that are willing to help.  And, for free!  I appreciate that!
I am hopeful, that this situation will end in a positive manner. After calling again on 3/28/2013, after once again not receiving that "special email" they claim they are going to do "a manual refund" and it will post 7 day after Monday April 1st?  We will see.
I do want to include a link of a report of their tactics using a 3rd party Tech Support...  http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/aghast-at-avasts-iyogi-support/

This is exactly what happened to me.  And, there are more blogs out there with personal experiences of the same.

I hope any readers of this forum learn what I have learned, and use this forum to learn about the knowledge of you smart folks. 

ElizabethA

And as mentioned at the end of that report iYogi's contract was terminated as a result, unfortunately those replacing iYogi don't seem any less likely to try and sell a support package.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
Hi ElizabethA,

Thanks for reporting here and making avast! and us aware.
If this leads to others missing such an experience, posting in this thread was really valuable,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

ElizabethA

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 01:32:57 AM »
Thanks for the handshake Polonus!

I am sorry to report that my last hopes of the Avast Support honoring what they had stated in doing the manual refund, after I did not receive the "special email with instructions for my refund did not get to my inbox or spam box??"  I gave them extra time, and still nothing.
My bank is handling the situation, although that can take up to 3 months.  I did make a report with my Attorney Generals Office as well. 

I was hoping to post a positive ending to this!  Buyer beware, and learn.