Author Topic: Uninstall  (Read 19121 times)

Walker

Uninstall
« on: September 18, 2003, 12:52:57 AM »
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how to COMPLETELY uninstall Avast Pro including all files, dll's etc.

Thanks

techie101

Re:Uninstall
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 07:51:16 AM »
This simplest way is to use the Windows Add/Remove function on the Control Panel.

If this fails to remove all the files (but it should), download a copy of Avclear4 from www.alwil.com (Downloads).

This is an uninstall program which WILL remove everything.

Good luck ;D

Question:  Why are you removing Avast?  Having problems?  Not satisfied?  Maybe we can help get you to use it!

techie :-[

Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 01:27:50 PM »
Hi techie101,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if your reference to Avclear4 is current?... I couldn't see it at that link!

As for the reason, I am having hell of problems with 'system' crashes  :'( (blue screen etc) and I have been loading and re-loading my OS (XP) until I'm doing it in my sleep. My PC manufacturers support dept., are about as useful as a chocolate tea-pot and in my opinion, haven't got a clue what the problem is. So the last time a did an OS re-install, I backed up everything prior to installing each piece of application software. Now looking at the 'event logs' the only date/time I can relate the start of the crashes to is the install of Avast.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon Avast is the best AV application, but there is another thread in the forums about 'crashes and freezing' and suspiciously kubecj asked me to send my Avast setup log which I did. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any feedback coming back (I have asked), so I want to un-install Avast to eliminate it from my investigations.

I'm now in the process of trying to find where to get my error MiniDump files analysed, but we all know how helpful MS can be and my PC manufacturer seems to think mini dump has got something to do with disposing of an old fridge! >:(

If that Avclear file is still available, I'd really like to get hold of it.

Thanks for the input.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 01:30:40 PM by Walker »

whocares

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 01:43:54 PM »

Walker

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 02:09:22 PM »
Thanks whocares.... got it.

techie101

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 05:01:24 PM »
walker,

I am glad another member had the link handy.  Sorry, I should have just given it to you instead of telling you where to go.  I try to answer as many of these questions as I am able, so I have to jump around alot and it becomes time consuming.
Anyway, I share your feelings about customer support, and MS.  Try going to www.protonic.com   The tech support is free and the techs there are pretty nice and helpful.
I have also heard of conflicts when Avast is installed, but thusfar, no definite determination has been made as to why it happens.  I have Avast on my W98, ME and XP machines. All run fine.
The only help I can offer is that in my W98 machine, it did crash after Avast was installed, but it seems that the crash was the result of another program that conflicted with Avast.  That other program was the cause, and Avast was the trigger!  Now I have Avast back in and it works great.

In Kubs defense.....he normally is prompt.  They do get  busy.  Try sending him another email, or use the IM feature on the board to catch his attention (if his light is green....he is monitoring)

Good luck.
 :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 05:02:29 PM by techie101 »

Walker

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 06:33:01 PM »
Thanks techie101, I'll give your link a try... sounds interesting.

I wasn't knocking the Avast crew, I think they do a great job and I'm guessing they are up to their necks in the new release issues. Unfortunately I have a 'needs must' kind of scenario.

Hopefully there will be some answers when things quieten down.

Thanks again for your help.

kubecj

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 01:31:00 AM »
suspiciously kubecj asked me to send my Avast setup log which I did. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any feedback coming back (I have asked), so I want to un-install Avast to eliminate it from my investigations.

Sorry, I didn't get your mail. Can you resend it? And please, cc also to jindrich DOT kubec AT seznam DOT cz
Just to be sure.

thanks,

Walker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 10:33:52 AM »
Sorry, I didn't get your mail. Can you resend it? And please, cc also to jindrich DOT kubec AT seznam DOT cz
Just to be sure.

thanks,

Hi kubecj,

Have resent with copy to alt address. Please note, I have had a couple of more updates since you originally asked, so I guess the log will reflect this.

walker

kubecj

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 12:22:19 AM »
Hi,

got your logs today. All of them look perfectly reasonable to me.

Are you having any uninstall (or other) problems right now? I think you're using latest 268 version.

Walker

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 02:14:43 AM »
Hi (sorry should it be Jindrich or Kubec, the name has me beat :-\ )

It's a real mish mash of coinsidence... covered a little bit in other threads (crash/freeze & update better) and a brief passing with Vlk,

Anyway, scenario....

*New PC with pre-installed Spanish language software.
*Got manufacturer to change the software for English version (came on CD's for me to install, naturally).
*Same time as installing new software, Avast updates were realeased.
*Also at same time, computer starts 'blue screen' crashes and random shut-down/reboots.

Ok, on from there... I didn't suspect Avast and did **many** reloads of OS and application software inc. Avast and MS updates, but the problem persisted. Vlk suggested removing Outpost firewall, which I did, still no joy.

Eventually, I started loading the OS and each application seperately (btw; these were always 'fresh' re-loads inc partitioning/format). I then got to the stage where it *appears* that the crashes etc started after loading Avast. This was about the time you asked me to send the setup-log, because *I assumed* you saw something wrong with the file date stamps I posted in the other thread!.

Moving on again :) ... Whilst this is going on and in between your replies, the 'Blue Screen' crashes, re-boots etc stopped and the machine became STABLE. The ONLY thing I KNOW OF that has happened in that interim period is that that Avast updates have been coming through and loading. I still haven't finished loading my other applications as I stopped when things pointed to Avast.

My *un-educated assumption* was that you guys might have fixed something in Avast (or the loaded) which rectified my problems and that I had just managed to pick the worst time (ie middle of Avast going to a new version) to have loaded it. Of course, I was, and still am really, curious as to what you saw wrong with those file dates to prompt you to ask for the setup-log!?

Finally, the here and now... TODAY... the machine has still been stable for a couple of days and my comment to Vlk was... I'd love to be able to reassure myself and put a finger on what caused the problem. Especially before I load any more software. My thoughts at the moment are to partition and format again and do another 'fresh' OS re-load or 'completely' remove Avast with AvClear4 (suggested on the forum) and just reload Avast fresh.

Strangely enough, I would have felt happier if you HAD found something in the setup-log or told me that Avast 'might' have caused the problems (given the scenario). The quandry now is, have I located the problem, has Windows sorted itself out (and better NOT to reload the OS!!!).

I had a look at the setup-log myself and noticed some items with errors, server downs and failed updates. I also noticed Vlk posted a thread aking if the latest version has helped with the 'crash' problems!!!, but everything that is coming back to me is saying there isn't an Avast problem!. I'm at a loss to know what direction to take for the best!!! :-\ :-\

Sorry for the long message, any (re)thoughts, suggestions, clarifications?

Much appreciate your interest kubecJ. I'm in no way knocking Avast or the team.... both are great.

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 02:27:35 PM »
Walker,

If you can't wait get your crash dump analyzed, try this approach.  Start with a clean installation of only Windows and avast!.  Use the system for a while, then install one more application.  Repeat, installing one applicaton at a time.  If the problem is a conflict between avast! and some other program, there's a reasonable chance it will be the last one installed.  Of course, if the problem results from a combination of applications and avast!, well good luck untangling that mess.   :)   Since you've already installed some of your apps., and your system is stable so far, it's a good gamble that you can just continue from this point forward without disrupting this test.

I hope you can continue to use avast!.  It's a terrific product, and the willingness of the people here to help and the quality of their advice just can't be beat.

Regards,
Hornus

Walker

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 02:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Hornus.

Things have actually moved on a bit since... one blue screen proved fatal  :'(

I did go your suggested route at one time, but there are SO many devices on this pc that it became impractical to disable them all and then test one at a time. Also, I'm not convinced that Windows is reporting the devices correctly as most of the information is read from the drivers that windows actually see's fit to load.

Anyway, it's a long, long story and I've paid my most favourite people in the whole world for support, and they are busy scratching their heads over the problem.... good old Microsoft  :o :( >:(

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 09:09:59 PM »
Best of Luck Walker, and let us know the outcome (especially your opinion of the support you got from MS).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2003, 05:00:40 AM »
Walker,

If you can't wait get your crash dump analyzed, try this approach.  Start with a clean installation of only Windows and avast!.  Use the system for a while, then install one more application.  Repeat, installing one applicaton at a time.  If the problem is a conflict between avast! and some other program, there's a reasonable chance it will be the last one installed.  Of course, if the problem results from a combination of applications and avast!, well good luck untangling that mess.   :)   Since you've already installed some of your apps., and your system is stable so far, it's a good gamble that you can just continue from this point forward without disrupting this test.

I hope you can continue to use avast!.  It's a terrific product, and the willingness of the people here to help and the quality of their advice just can't be beat.

Regards,
Hornus

I really agree with you Hornus...  ;)
Walker, if it helps, when you have time, take a look at the freeware list fully compatible with avast! (http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new).
Luck with MS support...
No one has a support team like avast!  ;)
The best things in life are free.