Author Topic: Error while attempting to update  (Read 8186 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

adam

  • Guest
Error while attempting to update
« on: March 10, 2005, 11:00:29 PM »
when avast trys to auto update i get the following

Error while attempting to update.
    Last encountered error. Cannot connect
    to download 14,avast, com (Unknown : 80)
    Total time 12.46

thank you for any help

Aenea

  • Guest
Re: Error while attempting to update
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:05:41 AM »
Since yesterday, I am also experiencing a similar problem when attempting to update,  both automatically and manually and have been receiving the following error message.

Error connecting to server.

Cannot connect to downloard13.Avast.com
(67.19.162.146:80)
      you are not connected to the internet
      your firewall does not allow "avast.setup" to access the
      internet; you can find details in help or read the FAQ section
      on Avast! website.
      your HTTP proxy settings are incorrect
       the server is inaccessible because of a network error or
      maintenance.

And from my Log Viewer:

10/03/05 3:16:40 PM   x   4294847225   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x00000002, dwRes is 00000002.
 
10/03/05 3:16:41 PM   x   4294847225   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.
 
10/03/05 3:23:28 PM   x   4294878355   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004.
 
10/03/05 3:23:28 PM   x   4294878355   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.
 
10/03/05 3:53:01 PM   x   4294847417   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004.
 
10/03/05 5:11:46 PM   x   4294859583   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x000004C7, dwRes is 000004C7.
 
11/03/05 9:12:25 AM   x   4294847399   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004.

OS  Windows98SE
Zonealarm Free Version - last update was 21 Feb 2005

System was working perfectly till yesterday.  I have since noticed that attempting to downloard updates for SpywareBlaster returns me the message "Error connecting to update server" -  but have no problems with updating Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy.   
I have also noticed that since yesterday, I can no longer connect to MSN Messenger and receive the error code 0x81000370.

Prior to this problem, I had not carried out any changes to any program settings.

Thank you for any help being offered.

Aenea

Offline DavidR

  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • *****
  • Posts: 87063
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error while attempting to update
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:26:43 AM »
Please ensure that your firewall allows avast.setup access to the internet. Try a manual update and see if your firewall blocks it or ask for permission. If it is blocked check your blocked applications and delete avast.setup and do a manual update and allow access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 22.10.6038 (build 22.10.7633.734) UI 1.0.733/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aenea

  • Guest
Re: Error while attempting to update
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 01:05:38 AM »
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Soon after manifestation of Avast! update difficulties I changed my update mode from automatic to manual.

After your reply, I once again attempted manual update.  Zonealarm Free Version 5.5.062.011 is configured so all programs must ask for permission to access the internet and this setting has not changed since my last Zonealarm update of 21 Feb 2005.  I have just verified this by checking my Zonealarm program control settings.  Upon attempt of Avast manual update, I receive the Zonealarm request to grant permission to Avast4 setup, which I allow.   I again received the the same error message "cannot connect to server" and "cannot connect to download12.avast.com".

I am using  Avast!4 - Build 4.6.603  - Extreme Toolkit version 1.9.4.0  -  VPS File version 0510-0  8/3/2005

Regards - Aenea

Aenea

  • Guest
Re: Error while attempting to update
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 04:48:23 AM »
Answer to problem FOUND -  Zonealarm was not the culprit. 

After reading the recent thread "Unable to connect to update scanner" that was posted by JakeBarnes who was experiencing same problems as I, I remembered that yesterday at some point I too had used a couple of programs that mask one's IP address (Secretmaker & Primedius).   

I started up Internet Explorer - I noted that it would not load my default home page, stating "unable to connect to server" - (I was not aware of this as my current default browser is Mozilla Firefox) -  clicked on - Tools -  Internet Options -  Connections -  Lan settings - and ticked, automatically detect settings.  This alone did not solve my problem.  In same window, I then clicked and highlighted my service provider (default) that appears under dial up settings -  settings - and then unclicked  "use automatic configuration script". 

I have no idea why the above changes that caused my recent problems occurred.  While using Secretmaker (2 weeks) and Primedius (at least 6 months) I've never had to make any changes to my connection settings, nor go back and unmake any changes. 

Since carrying out the above detailed changes to my connection settings, I have been able to log into MSN Messenger and do updates for Avast and SpywareBlaster.

Regards - Aenea