Author Topic: Avast! causes system crash [Win98]  (Read 36228 times)

joeloucyn

Re: Avast! causes system crash [Win98]
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 06:24:35 AM »
YSB did you see my previous post above ? I have been using Avast! for nearly two years and the only way my Win98 will shutdown is by starting up with my printer off then start my printer after start up and turning printer off before shutdown. Works everytime , so Avast! must be scanning my printer port !
This problem with printer port scanning causing shutdown problems on Win98 has been mentioned quite a number of times in this forum over the last few months ! Check in "Search" Win 98 /Windows 98 shutdown problems/printer

YSB

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
I saw it. My printers are off all the time unless I'm printing so this shouldn't be an issue for me. I do have some other USB devices running that I can't shut off, namely my UPS and a USB hub. I could try disconnecting them and see if it helps but I need to get behind my computer to do that which is a pain. Maybe I'll try it though just in case.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anymore ideas out there? Igor?

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
Windows 98 first edition is your problem. Windows 98 SE contains some bug fixes for bugs that exist in the original Windows 98 version.

Look for an update at microsoft.com. It's possible to apply an update that will make it turn into Windows 98 SE.

FYI, Windows 98 SE is the same as a Windows 98 SP2.

With Windows 9x based operating systems, the updates are usually NOT called "service packs" and usually, ONLY hotfixes exist for bug fixes.

Back in the Windows 95 times, Microsoft would call the bigger updates "service releases".

Microsoft usually only uses the term, "service pack" for Windows NT-based operating systems only! (Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP).

YSB

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 07:02:54 AM »
You can blame it on Microsoft if you like but that doesn't change the fact that trouble seems directly linked to the installation of Avast!.

To be honest, I haven't had the time to continue my hunt for a satisfactory antivirus. I'll probably have a little more time this week and the hunt will have to go on. I'd love to keep Avast! but I really can't if I continue to have problems. You can't say I haven't been patient. This thread is already a couple of weeks old. I'll keep checking back here for a solution and I'll post any updates if there are any but as soon as I have time the hunt will have to continue.

Thanks guys.

fokkie

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »
From another topic:

add the following line to the [AAVM] section of the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini:

GracefulRpcShutdown=1

I am using avast home on my home win98 pc, and so is my dad on his win98 pc.
Both pc's have shutdow probs. Maybe this helps, let it know if it does  8)

YSB

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I'll try it and let you know what happens.  :)

YSB

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2005, 12:07:20 AM »
 :( No luck. I tried adding that line to the .ini file but the computer still won't shut down properly. Thanks anyway for the reply.  Any more ideas out there?

Thanks.

fokkie

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2005, 03:27:17 AM »
Strange, i believe it does work here. At least till now it goes off the way it is supposed to.
I also noticed that the swap file may have something to do with it, or it felt that way.
I set the swap file to let windows decide, and file caching to server setting.

Also try checking "check floppy/cd/other media" in avast program setting.
My dad said that helped  :-X
He also chooses right mouse button on 'the a' and clicks "stop on-access protection" before shutting down windows. Might help :)

joeloucyn

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2005, 06:00:05 AM »
To RJARRRPCGP, you might have noticed that I am using Windows 98 SE (second edition) and also have shutdown problems.
Thanks for the tip fokkie, I also tried your idea with adding GracefulRpcShutdown=1 to [AAVM] of avast4.ini, but unfortunately it didn't help.
I guess it is time to upgrade to XP (and probably new problems :) ) !

YSB

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2005, 09:35:40 AM »
Also try checking "check floppy/cd/other media" in avast program setting.
My dad said that helped
He also chooses right mouse button on 'the a' and clicks "stop on-access protection" before shutting down windows. Might help

I've tried both those ideas but neither helped. I thought that stopping on-access protection helped a few posts back but it turned out not to be the case. If I shut down right after start-up it usually works regardless but once the computer runs a little it doesn't work regardless.

The computer surprisingly did shut down properly on Friday. No clue why but We'll see what happens when I shut down tonight if we can repeat that.

Thanks for the tips!

Starfighter

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2005, 12:16:19 AM »
I have 2 computers: 

One with Win 98 First Edition
  The other with Win 98 Second Edition

My Win 98 First Edition computer needed the GracefulRpcShutdown=1 in order for it to shutdown properly with Avast (it works perfectly now)

My Win98SE system required the MS "Fast Shutdown" patch from the MS Windows update site in order for that computer to shutdown properly with Avast.   It works great now with Avast.

So if I can get my Win98 systems to work fine with Avast, then you should be able to as well (with a little bit of luck).

You may want to sure that your computer isn't hanging at shutdown because it has too many Windows temp files etc...

Good luck!   :)

joeloucyn

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 04:03:05 AM »
Well Starfighter I have all the Microsoft shutdown patches and I have been using Win 98 second edition from day one, but since I installed avast (now 2 years) I have had shutdown problems ! The odd thing is that on my computer if I boot-up with my printer turned off.....it shutsdown properly.......I learned to live with it ......but I just would like to find a solution! Any more ideas are welcome, I really hope to find the solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 04:26:40 AM »
But since I installed avast (now 2 years) I have had shutdown problems! I learned to live with it.
You're patiente is very huge... Congratulations...
But it will be better if Igor could help you here...  :-[ :'(
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2005, 04:16:28 PM »
Well Starfighter I have all the Microsoft shutdown patches and I have been using Win 98 second edition from day one, but since I installed avast (now 2 years) I have had shutdown problems ! The odd thing is that on my computer if I boot-up with my printer turned off.....it shutsdown properly.......I learned to live with it ......but I just would like to find a solution! Any more ideas are welcome, I really hope to find the solution.

Hmmm, sorry to hear   :(   ....  Did you try changing the printer's port resources which can often be changed from within your motherboard's BIOS settings  i.e. by changing the printer port's interrupt, dma, mode i.e. ecp etc  etc...   failing that try the the windows system settings for the printer port...

joeloucyn

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2005, 01:31:05 AM »
Quote from: Starfighter [quote

Hmmm, sorry to hear   :(   ....  Did you try changing the printer's port resources which can often be changed from within your motherboard's BIOS settings  i.e. by changing the printer port's interrupt, dma, mode i.e. ecp etc  etc...   failing that try the the windows system settings for the printer port...

I have tried changing BIOS settings re: interrupt,dma, etc ....but no difference . I will be upgrading to XP (after I do my taxes with QuickTax  ;) ).....but still as I would like to find out.....the WHY  ;D .