Author Topic: Avasts software updater  (Read 5512 times)

TPCR

Avasts software updater
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
I would like the option to completly turn off the software updater

so it does not reactivate each time I either reboot the PC or  switch the PC on

At the moment I have to manualy click on stop which is only a temperory solution.

I use labour intensive programs on most machines and dont need the extra process running in the background

until I am finished, to which I manualy update my programs as and when needed.

Can anyone advise when this could be implimented

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: Avasts software updater
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »
Go to the Windows Control Panel and choose "Uninstall/Change" for avast!.  Then click "Change" and remove the checkmark from the Software Updater entry.  This should uninstall only the Software Updater.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »
Go to the Windows Control Panel and choose "Uninstall/Change" for avast!.  Then click "Change" and remove the checkmark from the Software Updater entry.  This should uninstall only the Software Updater.

I did it, too. Because of this, I can confirm, that this is the right way... ;)

Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

ken_turbine

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:39 AM »
Many thanks Gandalf - your reply has saved me from the insanity that Software Updater was driving me into.
The Checkmark which allows stopping of Software Updater in the standard interface should stop the function re-starting every time the m/c is re-booted. This would avoid the need to go into the uninstall utilty to disable it.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:53:31 AM »
ken_turbine,

Glad it worked well for you.  There have been a couple of messages on this forum by a member of the avast! team that there is going to be a new program release that allows the turning off of the SoftwareUpdater via the GUI.  This is supposed to be a "permanent" toggle so you won't have the problem of the SoftwareUpdater re-initializing itself after a reboot.

Take care . . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

ken_turbine

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
Gandalf, thanks for the heads up
Take Care

Arnold72

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
Just a quick question.Is there anyway of manually adding programs to the software updater ?
At the moment only my flash player and IE(which i dont use) are listed.
Thank you. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
No there isn't. The list of programs is contained within the virus definitions update process, so no way of adding.

People have requested to add some programs, but the list isn't going to be extensive, it is more for internet facing programs and those frequently targeted for malware exploit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35:27 PM »
Thank you David. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:59 AM »
There have been a couple of messages on this forum by a member of the avast! team that there is going to be a new program release that allows the turning off of the SoftwareUpdater via the GUI. This is supposed to be a "permanent" toggle so you won't have the problem of the SoftwareUpdater re-initializing itself after a reboot.

FWIW, I just upgraded to v8 today, and immediately turned off the Software Updater option via the GUI (Settings | Software Updater | unchecked both boxes). And so far, after 3 reboots, it has stayed off. So at least for me (so far), it has behaved the way it's supposed to behave.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:57:04 AM by Muad'Dib »

TPCR

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »

Thank you and I was already aware of the uninstall /change option.

What I was referring to was not to remove the app but to have the option readily available

There have been a couple of messages on this forum by a member of the avast! team that there is going to be a new program release that allows the turning off of the SoftwareUpdater via the GUI. This is supposed to be a "permanent" toggle so you won't have the problem of the SoftwareUpdater re-initializing itself after a reboot.

FWIW, I just upgraded to v8 today, and immediately turned off the Software Updater option via the GUI (Settings | Software Updater | unchecked both boxes). And so far, after 3 reboots, it has stayed off. So at least for me (so far), it has behaved the way it's supposed to behave.

Thank you

I currently have version 8.0.1483 with no sign of a program update as yet