Author Topic: uninstall webrep  (Read 6123 times)

damselle

uninstall webrep
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Hi, new to forum.

How can I uninstall web rep on safari? I'm thinking it's slowing things down a bit and don't really need it because I don't visit suspicious sites....

Thanks for the help!

Offline jputting

Re: uninstall webrep
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »
Hi Damselle,

It is really very easy to uninstall Webrep and there are two very simple and quick ways to get rid of it.

First method is to simply open Safari's Preferences, Extensions, Select Webrep in the list of installed extensions and click the uninstall button and it's gone.

Second method is to open Avast! Mac Antivirus, select Webrep in Overview List on the left side and click the uninstall button.

I really don't like the fact that Avast! installs Webrep into your browsers during its installation process, there should be an option to refuse its installation.

I personally much prefer to use the WOT (Web of Trust) extension for Safari and Firefox, it uses a community based rating system and you can personally give any website a rating for Safety, Privacy, Trustworthiness and Child Safety. It will also warn you when you are about to view a dodgy website and you can read reviews written by others as to exactly why it received a poor rating.

WOT has never slowed my web browsing at all.

Just because you don't visit suspicous websites or the seedier side of the internet doesn't mean you are safe.

There are many well designed shopping and banking websites which look legitimate but sell fake goods or abuse your privacy by bombarding your email account with endless Spam emails and selling your personal information to others.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:09:14 AM by jputting »