Author Topic: Error - ashServ.exe  (Read 51558 times)

Nic

Error - ashServ.exe
« on: March 11, 2005, 06:19:07 AM »
Frequently (not always) when I shut down Windows I get an error message just before the machine powers off (or reboots).  It's headed 'error ashServ.exe'. So far, I have not been able to read the message before the shutdown screen disappears. I have seen the same message on another machine running Win2000.  Can anyone tell me what it may refer to and how to rectify it?  I'm running XP Pro SP2, avast 4.6.618, Zone Alarm Pro 5.1
Thanks,
Nic  ???

SupaSmurf

Re: Error - ashServ.exe
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »
Having the same issue with ashServ.exe crashing during system shutdown

Windows 2000, SP4
avast 4.6.603 (although I just ran a Program Update and it says I'm at the current version???)
Sygate 5.6

beerslayer

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:14:56 AM »
Yup, me too.  I've been seeing that ashServ.exe error on shutdown intermittently ever since updating to v4.6, on two different computers (currently, v4.6.603, and problem happened once today).  If I remember correctly, the error was an Access Violation, but my memory is not 100%.

So far, I haven't found anything in common that I've done each time this error occurs.  If I do, I'll update this thread.

MickeyC

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »
The error I get reads as "The instruction at 0x7c910e03 referenced at memory 0x00000000 could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program".

As stated in the above posts the error box is headed up "ashServ.exe" and occurs every time the PC is shut down.

salb

Re: Virus that goes undetected
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 10:47:21 PM »
 ???
I just went to mcafee's site and downloaded a test virus, Avg virusscanner found it as a virus , Avast Did'nt???
http://images.secureie.com/mcafee_q6/lp4/0304_siepie_lp_02.asp?s=468_1637

Nic

Re: Virus that goes undetected
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 11:36:45 PM »
???
I just went to mcafee's site and downloaded a test virus, Avg virusscanner found it as a virus , Avast Did'nt???
http://images.secureie.com/mcafee_q6/lp4/0304_siepie_lp_02.asp?s=468_1637

Well I just tried the same thing and avast picked up the test virus immediately...  Apart from that, you seem to have posted under the wrong topic.  Is there anyone else out there getting the ashServ.exe error at shutdown? :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 11:40:16 PM »
Do any of you have have any (recent) files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder?
Maybe you can compress (zip) them and send to vlk@avast.com for analysis (maybe adding some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

cagor

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 11:44:54 PM »
I used the repair facility in 'add and remove' - seems to have worked so far

C.  :)

hiredassassin

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 02:02:11 AM »
Hi all...

Ive been getting the same error for a month or 2 as well...

no rhyme nor reason to it, it just seems to pop-up randomly on shutdown.

Has anyone found a solution yet??

hpoehrli

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 03:10:20 PM »
Even with newest Beta 4.6.639 this error still appears sporadically....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 05:27:53 PM »
Even with newest Beta 4.6.639 this error still appears sporadically....

Yeah... I see the same from time to time.
Maybe avast! is scanning something at shutdown but what? Why the services were not shutdown correctly?
The best things in life are free.

hpoehrli

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 10:40:36 AM »
This error is still present sporadically even with Avast 4.6.647
I see that the error occours more frequently after I have accessed Avast manually, but the significance of this is doubtful. I try to shut the system down when it seems to be really idle...

triedandtested

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 04:03:59 PM »
I have the same problem and it was also present in the previous version
XP Home SP2

Hope something will be done as you all say it is sporadic I think it appears to happen when we try to shutdown very shortly after eiter using an application or if the avast icon had just finished turning if the pc is idle and then shut down I think this problem does not occur.

Just a thought....

AmyDazz

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 04:36:17 PM »
Frequently (not always) when I shut down Windows I get an error message just before the machine powers off (or reboots).  It's headed 'error ashServ.exe'. So far, I have not been able to read the message before the shutdown screen disappears. I have seen the same message on another machine running Win2000.  Can anyone tell me what it may refer to and how to rectify it?  I'm running XP Pro SP2, avast 4.6.618, Zone Alarm Pro 5.1
Thanks,
Nic  ???

I thought i was the only one who having this problem but apparently there are a lot of other users who encounter this problem.

LAB

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 04:57:48 PM »
I have noticed the same problem at shutdown with XP Pro w sp2, Avast Home Version and it does seem random. It just goes by too fast for me to read it but I can catch something about ashserv and  a memory error. Like someone said, if you let the pc sit a few seconds before you shutdown, the problem never seems to occur.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:00:10 PM by Cochise »