Author Topic: Setting page is too tall to fit.....  (Read 5071 times)

brokenpcs

Setting page is too tall to fit.....
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
Hope somebody could help here.  When going into settings, many of the pages are just way too tall to be able to input the needed selections. Attached beleow is a screen shot of what I am talking about.

I thought it would be just like thunderbird issue in which a workaround was for me to window display settings and change the message box font size from 24 bits to 12 bits then kiss my monitor as I now cannot see a thing. Just to set the settings the way I want it to be. However it is not the case with avast when going into the settings. It doesn't change that opened window. Still looks the same and is way too tall.

Being I have to now change some settings within avast whether it be with v7 that I have or when and if I install v8 I am unable to do so. What could I do to correct this issue while not loosing any accessibility for me to use my computer?

This had been an issue since late v6. But I didn't worry about it much being I didn't have to go into my settings for changes. Now it seems that I may. [v.7] to set not to have a pop up for new programme in hopes that this would continue to update the definitions daily like it use to. Of course cannot get to the OK button to save the setting.

I have window 7 64-bit and avast v7.0.1474. I loved avast since v4 and it was accessible too in all aspects for one to get to.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Setting page is too tall to fit.....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
Have you managed to set this on full screen mode (edit: possibly if the avastUI was in full screen), given your image is 1699X900 ?
Try F11 or F12 I can't remember which toggles on/off full screen mode f11 keeps coming to mind though (confirmed f11).

If that doesn't help, try right clicking the tab on the Taskbar and select Move, use the down arrow to see if you can click the Restore button. Or alternatively try the up arrow to see if you can get to the OK button, you could also try the Tab key to see if it gets to the OK button, as you use the tab you will see focus move down,from the special scans, the OK button is two further down, 3 is cancel don't want to go there.

EDIT: Just seen that this window doesn't have full screen or Restore buttons, so the Move down option I mentioned should allow you to reach the top of the window, now you should be able to Drag the top of the window down, reducing the size. You should be able to Drag the window to the right (click and hold the Top of the window). You should now be able to Drag the Left edge to the right reducing the over all size, hopefully this should reduce the size of the window to a manageable size.

You can hold the Ctrl button down whilst closing the settings Window (X close), this should hopefully save the window size.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:26:21 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brokenpcs

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
Have you managed to set this on full screen mode (edit: possibly if the avastUI was in full screen), given your image is 1699X900 ?
Try F11 or F12 I can't remember which toggles on/off full screen mode f11 keeps coming to mind though (confirmed f11).

If that doesn't help, try right clicking the tab on the Taskbar and select Move, use the down arrow to see if you can click the Restore button. Or alternatively try the up arrow to see if you can get to the OK button, you could also try the Tab key to see if it gets to the OK button, as you use the tab you will see focus move down,from the special scans, the OK button is two further down, 3 is cancel don't want to go there.

EDIT: Just seen that this window doesn't have full screen or Restore buttons, so the Move down option I mentioned should allow you to reach the top of the window, now you should be able to Drag the top of the window down, reducing the size. You should be able to Drag the window to the right (click and hold the Top of the window). You should now be able to Drag the Left edge to the right reducing the over all size, hopefully this should reduce the size of the window to a manageable size.

You can hold the Ctrl button down whilst closing the settings Window (X close), this should hopefully save the window size.

Thanks for the reply.  Although your suggestion works to resize windows this has nothing to do with the inside of the window that is cut off the monitor / window.  It's really too bad that the scroll bar on the right side would not go beyond what I showed in the screen shot for if it did there wouldn't be much of a problem except for on the left navigation section.

The only way I could see the end of what's on that window setting page is if I put the cursor at the top of that screen and while holding down use the keyboard arrow button to move it up then down. Unfortunately as soon as I move the cursor off or release it it bounces back to what I showed. Yes I could use the tab button to move around but unfortunately I do not have a screen reader that could tell me where the tab button is at therefore I would have to guess as to where that tab stops and that could cause some issues especially if I think I am at one place when I am at another.  Some setting pages aren't that long and therefore the whole window is there.

Thanks again for the reply. Now we just got to find the right combination to get it fixed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
Weird, I have no idea why this is happening as I can't reproduce it on my desktop installation with 27" 1920X1200 screen. Even when I put that in full screen (right clicking on the taskbar tab and select Maximise) the internal settings screen is the normal size that I had it before maximising the main avastUI.

Something as a temp measure (whilst this is hopefully resolved), you could use the Alt Key Short cuts, see image2, so Alt to display the shortcuts and then 'O' for OK.

What is your normal native display resolution ?
I have a win7 netbook with a 10.1" 1024X600 screen and the avastUI and Settings screens are inside the screen size.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

brokenpcs

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 04:34:12 AM »
I forgot about the Screen resolution which would change the sizing of things. Although my resolution is set as recommended  1600 x 900 for compaq S2022.  Under the display section 'Make text and other items larger or smaller, I had to have it customized to 140%. Changing that would not be a good thing for it's harder to get the exact percentage again.

Your suggestion using Alt Key Short cuts and explaining how to get it helped a lot. I notice that it will continue to show those keys even after releasing the alt key which makes it easier to use the cursor and hold at top of screen and at the same time using the keyboard arrow keys to make the hidden part of the window show. That way I know what keys short cut goes with what I need to click on. This helps for those of us that are legally blind with our computer settings larger then normal.  Maybe something to think about to have these key short cuts screen shots of each page up on this forum somewhere for those of us to look at it and see which key short cut goes for what setting being it's hard to take a screen shot when your both hands are needed to get the hidden part of the screen to move up.

This should work for all versions. Correct?  Again thanks for the help. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
The way I see it, in setting it at 140%, 40% is going to be outside your visible screen and why I think you aren't seeing the scroll bar effect. Try setting it back to 100% as a test and see how that works.

There are other windows settings that can change the font size if you need that for visual clarity and I think that would probably be better than applying 140% to everything.

Hitting the Alt key again in isolation acts as a toggle, just releasing it doesn't have that effect.

brokenpcs

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
The way I see it, in setting it at 140%, 40% is going to be outside your visible screen and why I think you aren't seeing the scroll bar effect. Try setting it back to 100% as a test and see how that works.

There are other windows settings that can change the font size if you need that for visual clarity and I think that would probably be better than applying 140% to everything.

Hitting the Alt key again in isolation acts as a toggle, just releasing it doesn't have that effect.

It's always much harder for people to understand when it comes to people living with disabilities that settings aren't always accessible. Many times programmers because they do not understand do not consider the outcome that their worthwhile products would even go further if they remember people with disabilities needing these same products as well. I do remember that the older versions were even set within the program that one could change the setting to for the blind as well as setting skin although if memory serves me that was from others that develop the skin in which one could download it, so one that may change the default digital colouration that triggers a seizure could change such things for their needs. Digital because it's not a flat colouration as it's has many pixels and lighting from monitors could indeed cause a seizure with just a little flickering.

I do understand what your saying and it would make perfect sense for those with perfect vision. Unfortunately by going into the settings to change it to as you said to 100% that would then make my computer non-user friendly. And therefore even though it may make the size smaller so it would fit it, it will also not be accessible to see it and therefore wouldn't work. Henceforth the reason in the first place to set the resolution so the computer could be accessible.

As for the scroll bar it really does work just it only works as far as where it cuts off at. I'm sure if I would be able to change my resolution which I did forget about that, the scroll bar on the right would go to the end and the left navigation window would actually show the word troubleshooting. Lucky that not all settings have so much within them on one page. That's the real issue. A longer page becomes non accessible. Add a page and split those longer page and it would then become accessible again.

I do appreciate your suggestion. Unfortunately changing computer settings is not an option. Hopefully the developers would think about such things when the upgrade again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
I understand the problem and not wanting to go back to 100% to test.

Unfortunately I as an avast user can't offer any other options, I don't know why the internal avastUI doesn't offer any full screen option, etc. But that in itself may not help as you have the size set to 140%, earlier versions of avast had a degree of accessibility built in, I don't know how that is incorporated into avast8.

brokenpcs

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:13:52 PM »
I understand the problem and not wanting to go back to 100% to test.

Unfortunately I as an avast user can't offer any other options, I don't know why the internal avastUI doesn't offer any full screen option, etc. But that in itself may not help as you have the size set to 140%, earlier versions of avast had a degree of accessibility built in, I don't know how that is incorporated into avast8.

David I do appreciate all the help you've done on this and I thank you for even trying. I am sure that the customizing percentage to a larger percent is indeed cutting off the rest of the window. I did forget about that until you mention it.  If only microsoft company would consider such things and have something within their codes to work within other programmes when need to such as like printing code 'fit page'.  Then problem would be solved for all types of programmes. Well at least when it comes to sizing.  Color and Graphic is a different issue.  :)

Hopefully maybe a tech/developer see's this post and think about adding some accessibility to the program like before.

Again many thanks ..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
I have reported the topic to the Moderators, hopefully that will get one of the developers to give it some attention. Though in the short term I don't think much can be done.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Have you tried using the Ctrl Key and the scroll button on your mouse to temporarily
increase or decrease the size of the display ???
Mouse wheel scroll up increases, scroll down decreases.
Just a thought.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

brokenpcs

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
Have you tried using the Ctrl Key and the scroll button on your mouse to temporarily
Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although that works when in browsers the same ctrl key and mouse wheel doesn't do the same thing within the programme. All it does which I double check to make sure I was right, is to move up and down just like you would do if you used your cursor on the scroll bar.  But thanks anyways.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. Although that works when in browsers the same ctrl key and mouse wheel doesn't do the same thing within the programme. All it does which I double check to make sure I was right, is to move up and down just like you would do if you used your cursor on the scroll bar.  But thanks anyways.
It also works on your windows desktop icons in Windows 7 and 8. Unfortunately not on individual windows or icons.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet