Author Topic: Weird Survery virus that's taking over my computer - need help!  (Read 2323 times)

Talwyn

Hi guys,

I'm not all that familiar with viruses, but this one was extremely annoying. When the computer starts up, "bip" sounds starts to play and a lot of error messages pop up (Internet explorer amongst those), and then a text box with the following message suddenly appear:

Complete a survey and download that text file which contains your unique code. Don't do that and you'll be stuck around this message forever. Even after formatting! Attempting to enter the wrong code 3 times will clean up your entire system!

It takes you to the site "l i n k z . i t / b C u" automatically, which incidentally is blocked by one of the larger Norwegian IT firms that block confirmed virus sites (I spaced the link just in case, so that others don't accidentally click on it). I couldn't enter it even if I wanted to.

If I let the computer be for a short time, it'll start popping up new messages, about how the "My Documents" folder has something wrong with it and should be reinstalled, etc, etc. I can't start any programs or antiviruses, so I can't seem to get rid of it that way. Supposedly a child of a friend tried to download a "hack" to a game (to let you see through walls, or something), and that's where this came from.

Is there ANY help out there? I don't know if it speaks the truth about formatting, so I've just shut it off for now, hoping for an enlightening answer.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
Re: Weird Survery virus that's taking over my computer - need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
    Hi,

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

• Download AdwCleaner (by Xplode) on your desktop.
  • Launch it, click on [Search] and wait for the scan.
  • When the scan ends, notepad with the report will appears.
  • Click on the [Delete] Wait for the programme completes his work.
    The program will close all active programs. Click OK to confirm that.
    On the next two windows that open ( Informations and Restart required ) click OK

• The computer will restart and open a notepad ( C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt ) with the report.
  • Save the notepad report on the Desktop
  • Please attach here C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt
Note: The report will also be stored on C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt [/list]

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
...and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.  [COLOR="Red"]Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.[/COLOR]
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Double click dds to run the tool.

* When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
        1. DDS.txt
        2. Attach.txt

Save both reports to your desktop. DDS.txt and Attach.txt attach back to topic.

Talwyn

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »
And how can I use any of that when the virus denies me any access to the computer?

The only thing I can use the mouse for is clicking the survey message and enter a code in the box, or internet explorer (that's stopped by an external firewall). I'm not using the infected computer to write this. I can't start or shut down programs, nor can I use explorer to view/click on files either.

I probably need a program that I can install on a memorystick that'll run automatically when I plug it in. Any such thing out there?

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »
Hi,

Continue with instructions at GeeksoGo forum. I'm stopping with removal instructions.

Regards,
magna