Author Topic: Avast Free & Lion Server Mac Mini (Home User)  (Read 3735 times)

Kei

Avast Free & Lion Server Mac Mini (Home User)
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Hi.  I am a home user with a Mac Mini mid 2011 that came with Lion Server. I thought I would upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I haven't just yet. (I was irked by having to install via the App Store & the file disappearing after you upgrade; I like my physical media, so I can do what I want, when I want. >_>  I'm even annoyed when I have to do Lion [Server] Recovery, as I had not found physical media to do a restore anywhere online.....)

**** I was wondering: Is Avast Free (Mac) compatible with Lion Server (10.7.5)? More importantly, can I legally use it on Lion Server as a home user? What are my options??

Note: I do not use any of the server capabilities on the Mac Mini. To the best of my knowledge, my system is locked down/disabled. I've never even set up or used the server features & don't plan on doing so. According to Apple, even though it is Lion Server, it's as such that you can still use it like a regular operating system (which is what I do). The quote from Apple's web page in the Included Software section: "It’s not just a server. It’s a full-featured Mac." The Mac Mini mid 2011 with server had better hardware (i7 Quad Core 2GHz), except for the graphics card, than the regular Mac Mini (Dual Core), which was my motivation to purchase the Server Mac Mini instead.  Below are the links to the technical specs of the devices, for anyone who cares.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp633    <---mid 2011 Server Specs       https://support.apple.com/kb/sp632   <----mid 2011 Mini Specs

Pretty much all the software I purchased when I used [regular, non-server] Snow Leopard stopped working or crashed the system when installed on the Lion Server. They were compatible with 10.7 and 10.8 but NOT the server edition. Thanks for reading and please let me know.

P.S. I already have an Avast License for Windows and use the Android version on my phone!!  Finally, much kudos to this site because it is the first place I'm typing that detects my right arrow key on my bluetooth Mac keyboard (model A1314)! Now, we're talking! YEAH! GO AVAST!!  XD

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Avast Free & Lion Server Mac Mini (Home User)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:39 PM »
I'm not aware of anything what should prevent our product from working on it. But to be honest, we do not test on the server Mac OS X variants, so I can not provide any definitive answer right now.

Regards,
Mity

cpguru21

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
Watera,

M y 2C here I would not run Avast on an apple server untill Avast has certified it.  I tried to run on my 10.6 snow leopard server running dovecot mail, and it locked the server up.  Hard.  A reboot and uninstall of the Avast software fixed it.  I believe it only locked up while it was scanning. 

I enjoy using the mac version on mac clients, but I do not think this software is ready for the server version.  For email, the server comes with ClamAV. I wanted a piece of mind on a server with public facing ports.

cxdrew

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:58:46 AM »
Hello,

I have a Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server running 10.7.5, with AVG linkscanner, and Avast Web Shield is blocking access to legitimate sites.  I can access these same legitimate sites when I disable Web Shield, but can't get to them when it's activated.  Normal sites like google translate.

I get the error:  No Data Received

I was going to do some of the terminal suggestions made by Tumic in this post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89943.60
But then I found this one and got be worried on the server issues.

I run Quickbooks 2012 for Mac Server for 3 computers.  This Quickbooks server is not set up to be accessed outside the local network.

Any help is appreciated!