Author Topic: Avast! Free on Multiple Computers  (Read 26621 times)

J-D-H

Avast! Free on Multiple Computers
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
I am trying to decide whether I have everything setup correctly here on two PCs running Avast! Free.

First I installed the software on a PC running WinXP, was sent a License Key for 1 year of usage, I entered this, then the application showed "Current Status: Registered",  Everything worked fine, so I assumed all was well.

Then I decided to also install this software on another PC, one running Win 7 64 bit.  I was not sure whether I should use the same email address as before, so I decided to use an alternate email address I happen to have.  My first questions are:  Was the change of email address the correct choice?  If not, how do I change the second email address so both machines are setup the same way?

Next....  I expected to receive a license key as was done during the first installation, this did NOT occur on the second PC.  Even so, when the setup was completed, the current status was again shown as "Registered".  So, are the procedures different for Win 7 64 bit?  If a license key was supposed to be installed, how is it that the second install is still shown as registered?

Last....  On this second PC, I was sent an email invitation to register on the Avast! website.  As far as I recall, this did NOT occur during the install on the Win XP PC.  So I went online and registered, and although both machines say "Registered", neither one is listed under "Devices" on the website.  Why and how do I fix this?

What must I do to get both of my setups straightened out?  I assume simplest would be best -- the same email address in both cases, and have both PCs listed on the website as separate devices so there is no confusion when to comes time for license renewal....... correct?  Thanks in advance for any help!

John

HDW38

Re: Avast! Free on Multiple Computers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
I am trying to decide whether I have everything setup correctly here on two PCs running Avast! Free.

1. First I installed the software on a PC running WinXP, was sent a License Key for 1 year of usage, I entered this, then the application showed "Current Status: Registered",  Everything worked fine, so I assumed all was well.

2. Then I decided to also install this software on another PC, one running Win 7 64 bit.  I was not sure whether I should use the same email address as before, so I decided to use an alternate email address I happen to have.  My first questions are:  Was the change of email address the correct choice?  If not, how do I change the second email address so both machines are setup the same way?

3. Next....  I expected to receive a license key as was done during the first installation, this did NOT occur on the second PC.  Even so, when the setup was completed, the current status was again shown as "Registered".  So, are the procedures different for Win 7 64 bit?  If a license key was supposed to be installed, how is it that the second install is still shown as registered?

4. Last....  On this second PC, I was sent an email invitation to register on the Avast! website.  As far as I recall, this did NOT occur during the install on the Win XP PC.  So I went online and registered, and although both machines say "Registered", neither one is listed under "Devices" on the website.  Why and how do I fix this?

5. What must I do to get both of my setups straightened out?  I assume simplest would be best -- the same email address in both cases, and have both PCs listed on the website as separate devices so there is no confusion when to comes time for license renewal....... correct?  Thanks in advance for any help!

John

Hi J-D-H!

1. Are you sure, you installed avast FREE on your first PC? Normally you only get a licence key, if the almost automatical registration doesn't work, so that you have to use the 'offline-registration'.
You can proof it, if you click on the orange 'avast ball' (right part of the task edge of your screen). On top of the new frame you'll see, if there is written 'FREE' or not.
2. You didn't have to change the mail-address. But you can delete the second PC using your alternate mail-address in --> https://my.avast.com !
After that you 'add' the second PC to your first mail-address (in 'my.avast.com). You have to do this from your second PC!
If you have a look at my signature (this post below), all of those PC are under ONE mail-address.
3. There is only one procedure. So I think, you installed a 'pay'-version of avast on the first PC.
4. What kind of avast-website? To this forum? To fix this, see under 2. You only see the PC under 'my.avast.com'.
5. See under 2.

Welcome to the forum.

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »

1. First I installed the software on a PC running WinXP, was sent a License Key for 1 year of usage, I entered this, then the application showed "Current Status: Registered",  Everything worked fine, so I assumed all was well.

2. Then I decided to also install this software on another PC, one running Win 7 64 bit.  I was not sure whether I should use the same email address as before, so I decided to use an alternate email address I happen to have.  My first questions are:  Was the change of email address the correct choice?  If not, how do I change the second email address so both machines are setup the same way?

3. Next....  I expected to receive a license key as was done during the first installation, this did NOT occur on the second PC.  Even so, when the setup was completed, the current status was again shown as "Registered".  So, are the procedures different for Win 7 64 bit?  If a license key was supposed to be installed, how is it that the second install is still shown as registered?

4. Last....  On this second PC, I was sent an email invitation to register on the Avast! website.  As far as I recall, this did NOT occur during the install on the Win XP PC.  So I went online and registered, and although both machines say "Registered", neither one is listed under "Devices" on the website.  Why and how do I fix this?

5. What must I do to get both of my setups straightened out?  I assume simplest would be best -- the same email address in both cases, and have both PCs listed on the website as separate devices so there is no confusion when to comes time for license renewal....... correct?  Thanks in advance for any help!

John

Hi J-D-H!

1. Are you sure, you installed avast FREE on your first PC? Normally you only get a licence key, if the almost automatical registration doesn't work, so that you have to use the 'offline-registration'.
You can proof it, if you click on the orange 'avast ball' (right part of the task edge of your screen). On top of the new frame you'll see, if there is written 'FREE' or not.
2. You didn't have to change the mail-address. But you can delete the second PC using your alternate mail-address in --> https://my.avast.com !
After that you 'add' the second PC to your first mail-address (in 'my.avast.com). You have to do this from your second PC!
If you have a look at my signature (this post below), all of those PC are under ONE mail-address.
3. There is only one procedure. So I think, you installed a 'pay'-version of avast on the first PC.
4. What kind of avast-website? To this forum? To fix this, see under 2. You only see the PC under 'my.avast.com'.
5. See under 2.

Welcome to the forum.

HDW38

1. The installations on both PCs say exactly the same thing at the top of the screen -- Avast! Free Antivirus.  Both show the same versions number as well -- 8.0.1483.  I don't see how it could be otherwise since the identical installer file was used in both cases.

2. Okay, I'm glad to hear this, so I will attempt to make both installations have the same email address.  However when I log into my.avast.com, I do not understand why I see "number of all connected devices = 0".  Also when I log in at my.avast.com and go to the Profile screen, I see listed only the one email address I used for the first PC -- the second email address I used on the second machine is not listed.  By now I would have expected to see both machines listed as "connected devices", and I would have expected to see two different email addresses listed.  Meanwhile, both PCs show Avast as follows:  "Current Status: Registered".  I must be missing something fundamental here in terms of how each installation of Avast communicates with the my.avast.com website......

3.  No, both installations announce "free".

4.  The only website I have been referring to as regards registration information is https://my.avast.com

5. In re-reading your comments, I notice your sentence: "You have to do this from your second PC!"  Since I cannot say for sure that I followed your caution, this could be the core of my problem......  I am now considering whether to uninstall and then reinstall Avast on my second PC, this time making sure that any interactions with my.avast.com which concern that second machine are done solely from that same PC.  Do you think that this reinstallation would be worthwhile?

Sorry, but I still do not understand why I am seeing "Number of connected devices = 0".  I expected to see "Number of connected devices = 2", but if not, at least the installation of the first machine would have resulted in "Number of connected devices = 1"  !

John

HDW38

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
Hi!

Try this: open avast -> Settings --> Account --> Accountsettings. Control on both PC, if connected or not.

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
Hi!

Try this: open avast -> Settings --> Account --> Accountsettings. Control on both PC, if connected or not.

HDW38

On the first PC I installed Avast! on, I did as you suggested and it said "Current Status: Disconnected"!  So I clicked on "Connect Now", a dialog box appeared for a few seconds saying "Collecting information....", then this announcement disappeared and I was still NOT connected.  There was no error message of any kind.  I don't know how to fix this.

Let me fall back for a moment and ask some fundamental questions.....  How are things supposed to work with Avast!?  Are users always supposed to get a license key as part of registration?  And once registered, if the user looks on my.avast.com, should they always see "Number of Connected Devices =1" (or in my case "2")?   As you know, I see "0" there.  And by the way, if I click on "Add Device" on my.avast.com, three selection boxes appear (Windows, Mac, etc.).  I select Windows, and rather than doing as I expect (that is, having a PC added), instead I am taken to a download page for all the various Avast products!  And bear in mind that my installations of Avast! both announce "Status: Registered" on the appropriate program screen.  In general, I would like to clearly understand the total installation and registration process.......

John

J-D-H

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
Hi!

HDW38

Let me update you on all my current circumstances.......

Machine #1:
OS = Win XP
Email address used = Main Email
Avast! sent a license key (which I copied/pasted into the program)
Avast! Free announces that it IS registered
Avast! Free says it is NOT connected (and it will NOT connect)

Machine #2:
OS = Win 7
Email address used = Alternate Email
Avast! did NOT send a license key
Avast! Free announces that it IS registered
Avast! Free says that it IS connected (I just discovered this since I have been concentrating mostly on machine #1)

Website ( my.avast.com ):
Email address used = Main Email
Devices Connected = 0 (still)

Hope the above helps........

John

HDW38

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
Hi J-D-H!

1. Something during installation of avast on your XP-PC didn't work correctly. It's not normal, installing the FREE-version, that you get a licence-key. So try to correct (if possible) this by using the XP-settings (to change/de-install a program) via Software, choose 'avast! Free Antivirus' then the 'Repair'-function of 'avast!'. Wait until avast! is ready. After that restart the PC and proof everything, if avast! could fix.
2. It doesn't matter (I guess), if both machines are NOT under your main-mailaddress. So you also are able to put both under the alternate mail-address. You should think about it.
3. You should see in https://my.avast.com with your alternate mail-address and have a look at the items there.

Please report back.
HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »
Hi J-D-H!

1. Something during installation of avast on your XP-PC didn't work correctly. It's not normal, installing the FREE-version, that you get a licence-key. So try to correct (if possible) this by using the XP-settings (to change/de-install a program) via Software, choose 'avast! Free Antivirus' then the 'Repair'-function of 'avast!'. Wait until avast! is ready. After that restart the PC and proof everything, if avast! could fix.
2. It doesn't matter (I guess), if both machines are NOT under your main-mailaddress. So you also are able to put both under the alternate mail-address. You should think about it.
3. You should see in https://my.avast.com with your alternate mail-address and have a look at the items there.

Please report back.
HDW38

I agree, something went wrong with the first PC in which I installed Avast! Free.  I will tell you the many things I have tried to correct this, but first let me say that I still do NOT understand the relationship between the program and the website ( my.avast.com ).  My first PC installation may have problems, however my second PC installation looks perfect in every way (neglecting the email address), yet the website shows 0 connected devices.  Things I have tried on the first PC to get it to show as "connected":

1. The repair function you mentioned.

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the program.

3. In case this might be the problem, I cancelled and then remade my online account at my.avast.com.  When doing the new creation, I first tried using my alternate email address (the one used for the second PC), but the website said "this email address is in use".  So the website was still "aware" of the second PC.  I then switched to using my main email address (the one from the problematic first PC), and this worked!  Once again, it appeared the website does NOT know about this first PC.

4. Uninstalled the software again, but this time I went to great pains to clean up the registry to remove all remnants of Avast before reinstalling.

5. Finally I fully re-imaged the PC back to some days ago, a time just after I had installed Avast Free (I did this to undo the many Regedit changes in case any were questionable).

Bear in mind that Avast reports on both PCs that I am FULLY secure and that both are registered.  So it works in every respect....  except for this issue concerning being "connected".

So, is being "connected" something that Avast can adjust on their end?  And second, why doesn't at least my second PC show on the website as a "connected device" when it shows "connected" within the software?  Given the website oddity of always showing "zero" devices connected, that the Repair function did nothing, and that the website does not show either PC, I am suspicious that the Avast online end of things may be the problem.  Can they fix this problem?

John

John

HDW38

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
Hi!

First of all: be and remain even-tempered. I think, you did a lot and too much (without thinking about before).

Another thing is, if it's necessary to work like you did, for to connect a PC to https://my.avast.com isn't that worth (see it like a toy and don't worry about!). There's no function behind!
You did some mistakes. On the other hand: did you proof, what I asked you for (point 3) in my last post? Why didn't you follow my advise?
Concerning point 1: Did you use the repair-function of avast or not? Did you restart your XP-PC? Did you proof?
Concerning point 2: Did you think about putting both PC under your alternate mail-address?
Concerning point 3: Did you proof with your alternate mail-address in https://my.avast.com?
Please answer in short sentences and do nothing else.
Why did you uninstall and install avast? And second time uninstalled?
What did you cancel? The uninstall or new install of avast? Why did you do this all? For what?
Excuse me, please, but do you really know, what you are doing?
Why are you working within the registry? There was no reason for!!!
What browsers do you use?

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
"Another thing is, if it's necessary to work like you did, for to connect a PC to https://my.avast.com isn't that worth (see it like a toy and don't worry about!). There's no function behind!"

Since Avast asks users to register on the website, I assume that this is required and important.  So if something went wrong, I wish to correct it.

"You did some mistakes. On the other hand: did you proof, what I asked you for (point 3) in my last post? Why didn't you follow my advise?"

What mistakes?  Yes, I am SURE that I installed the FREE version on both computers.  How could I have installed a Paid version without Avast asking for payment?!  I used the EXACT same installer file on two computers -- BOTH say FREE!  Why do you say that I did not follow your advice?  I certainly have.

"Concerning point 1: Did you use the repair-function of avast or not? Did you restart your XP-PC? Did you proof?"

Yes, I did the repair function.  It changed nothing.  Of course I re-booted the PC.

"Concerning point 2: Did you think about putting both PC under your alternate mail-address?"

Yes, I thought about it.... but HOW do I do this?  If I login to the Avast website, it shows ONLY my main email address as PRIMARY EMAIL.  If I then try to add my alternate email address by using ADD EMAIL, it says THIS EMAIL IS ALREADY IN USE.

"Concerning point 3: Did you proof with your alternate mail-address in https://my.avast.com?"

I cannot add my alternate email address to my existing account.  I even tried to create a new account using the alternate address -- it will NOT allow this.  What more can I try with my alternate email address?

"Why did you uninstall and install avast? And second time uninstalled?"

Because you asked me whether under SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT does the program show CONNECTED.  It always shows DISCONNECTED.  Since you implied that this is NOT NORMAL, I therefore tried to reload the software in case some error had happened.  Trying a reload is STANDARD PRACTICE.

"What did you cancel? The uninstall or new install of avast? Why did you do this all? For what?"

To try to get the program to work as I assume it should, of course!

"Excuse me, please, but do you really know, what you are doing?"

Do you think such words are helpful?  You have no right to make accusations or negative comments.  After many years of professional engineering, pardon me, but I demand to be treated with as much respect as I have always treated you.  What I am doing is asking for help.  I have done everything you have asked me to do.  I have then tried to do other things I know to be SAFE and NORMAL procedures.

"Why are you working within the registry? There was no reason for!!!"

After Avast is installed, I have not noticed that the program announces the email address which was used.  Your website will NOT allow me to enter my alternate email address.  So I looked in your INI files as well as the registry hoping that I might be able to verify the email address which was used in case there was a typographical error.  I have mode NO changes to any files -- just reading.  I hoped to find an obvious error concerning the email address, but I was not successful in this.

"What browsers do you use?"

Firefox and/or IE

Summary:   The REPAIR FUNCTION did not help.  I cannot enter my alternate email address on the website.  My main PC shows that it NOT CONNECTED.  The website shows ZERO under CONNECTED DEVICES.  If I click on ADD NEW DEVICE, I am taken to a download page -- this is NOT what one would expect!

John

HDW38

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »
Hi!

Please only do this: open Firefox, write https://my.avast.com in the commandline and wait until the new site is open.
Now put in your alternate mailaddress with the password and report, what you saw.

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:58:42 PM »
Hi!

Please only do this: open Firefox, write https://my.avast.com in the commandline and wait until the new site is open.
Now put in your alternate mailaddress with the password and report, what you saw.

HDW38

This error message appears:

"Incorrect.  The username or password you have entered is incorrect."

Since my account was made using my MAIN email address, this error message seems to make sense.

John

HDW38

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
Hi J-D-H!

After having read everything you wrote, I'm sure, that (to get rid of all that, which doesn't work) you have to do a new install of avast on both machines.
So please 1. Delete all existing 'avast Setup'-files and download avast Free to your first PC (XP) from here:
                     --> http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe ,
                 2. de-install the existing avast from the PC and search for 'AVAST Software'-file (on C:) and delete it,
                 3. restart the PC,
                 4. install 'avast Free' from point 1, untick the offer of 'installing Google Chrome' during installation,
                     register 'avast' under your MAIN mail-address.
Please follow the instructions during the installation.
This should work. If not, we have to do a 'clean install' of avast using the program 'aswclear'.
I'm sorry, but at the moment I can't say where it is in the english part of this forum, for I have only german systems and locations. Pardon for my words before.

Edit: For that you should do with admin-rights.
Edit2: Do all that only for the XP-PC and NO further activities including 'Avast Account'. Later I'll tell you why.

HDW38

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:58:19 PM by HDW38 »

J-D-H

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Hi J-D-H!

After having read everything you wrote, I'm sure, that (to get rid of all that, which doesn't work) you have to do a new install of avast on both machines.
So please 1. Delete all existing 'avast Setup'-files and download avast Free to your first PC (XP) from here:
                     --> http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe ,
                 2. de-install the existing avast from the PC and search for 'AVAST Software'-file (on C:) and delete it,
                 3. restart the PC,
                 4. install 'avast Free' from point 1, untick the offer of 'installing Google Chrome' during installation,
                     register 'avast' under your MAIN mail-address.
Please follow the instructions during the installation.
This should work. If not, we have to do a 'clean install' of avast using the program 'aswclear'.
I'm sorry, but at the moment I can't say where it is in the english part of this forum, for I have only german systems and locations. Pardon for my words before.

Edit: For that you should do with admin-rights.
Edit2: Do all that only for the XP-PC and NO further activities including 'Avast Account'. Later I'll tell you why.

HDW38

I have already done all of the first things you said, but I will do them all again later.  I will let you know what happens.

I have never used ASWCLEAR.EXE, so if it becomes necessary to use it, I will look forward to seeing if it helps.

John
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:19:45 PM by J-D-H »

HDW38

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:26 PM »
Hi!

Just try point 1 to 4 and repeat before you do a clean install. Do you know, how to do?
Now I know, where to find 'aswclear'.

But before you do that, you should control/change several internal settings and I hope, we can do together, for I'll tell you in another post 'what where to do'. Ok?

Now here are further explanations for you:
The 'Avast Account' (https://my.avast.com) is a very small detail of 'avast' and you really don't need, but you can use it, if you wish.
'Avast' is a huge program with multiple functions and during the installation it sets several internal settings to 'default' (e.g. your 'avast account': it is set to 60 minutes, that means: only every hour 'avast' will update your 'avast account'!!!).
The result: every entry (PC or mobilephone) with update not older than 1 day will show 'SECURED' or you see 'Security status: OFF'.

So, if you look into your 'avast account' right after you have installed avast, you will see nothing there!
That has to do with the distribution of the many updates, the 'avast'-servers have to manage.

When I wrote about the mistakes, I meant that you act too fast, for you lost patience (I meant no harm).

HDW38
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:59:42 PM by HDW38 »