Author Topic: Avast! Free on Multiple Computers  (Read 26619 times)

J-D-H

Re: Avast! Free on Multiple Computers
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:50 AM »
Hi!

Just try point 1 to 4 and repeat before you do a clean install. Do you know, how to do?
Now I know, where to find 'aswclear'.

But before you do that, you should control/change several internal settings and I hope, we can do together, for I'll tell you in another post 'what where to do'. Ok?

Now here are further explanations for you:
The 'Avast Account' (https://my.avast.com) is a very small detail of 'avast' and you really don't need, but you can use it, if you wish.
'Avast' is a huge program with multiple functions and during the installation it sets several internal settings to 'default' (e.g. your 'avast account': it is set to 60 minutes, that means: only every hour 'avast' will update your 'avast account'!!!).
The result: every entry (PC or mobilephone) with update not older than 1 day will show 'SECURED' or you see 'Security status: OFF'.

So, if you look into your 'avast account' right after you have installed avast, you will see nothing there!
That has to do with the distribution of the many updates, the 'avast'-servers have to manage.

When I wrote about the mistakes, I meant that you act too fast, for you lost patience (I meant no harm).

HDW38

I have followed ALL of your suggestions, EXACTLY.......

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program the normal way (Add-Remove Programs, etc.).  The program showed UNREGISTERED.  When I clicked on REGISTER, a window appeared saying "Collecting Information.....", but then nothing else happens.

Then I uninstalled using ASWCLEAR.EXE, this time in SAFE MODE (since this is what was recommended) -- the result was IDENTICAL.  It still shows UNREGISTERED and pushing the REGISTER button does nothing.

Notice that the registration screen has TWO ways to register.  The first way is done ONLINE and this NEVER works here.

However there is another way to register which is for OFFLINE computers, and it uses a LICENSE KEY.  Maybe I originally used this method?  It has been so long that I simply do not recall!  However since I have a license key sent to me by Avast via email, I decided to try this once again (since everything else has FAILED).  So I inserted my old license key and it worked PERFECTLY.  Now my Avast is registered!

Neglecting the website, I have the same remaining problem......  SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT still shows DISCONNECTED.  Is this important ??

This software has been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and in so many ways, and the result is ALWAYS the same.  I now doubt that there are any installation problems here.  However I MAY have first registered using the OFFLINE method which resulted in a LICENSE KEY.  Again, is this important ??

John

HDW38

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »
Hi John!

I can't believe, that it's develloping this way. I had just asked for, if you know, how to use 'aswclear' and you already did everything. I doubt, if anybody is able making you clear, how 'avast' is working.  :(
Are you sure, that you made a restart between de- and new install?
Hi!

Just try point 1 to 4 and repeat before you do a clean install. Do you know, how to do?
Now I know, where to find 'aswclear'. MY FAULT: I meant REPORT BEFORE!!!

But before you do that, you should control/change several internal settings and I hope, we can do together, for I'll tell you in another post 'what where to do'. Ok? Did you read this?[/b)

The 'Avast Account' (https://my.avast.com) is a very small detail of 'avast' and you really don't need, but you can use it, if you wish.
'Avast' is a huge program with multiple functions and during the installation it sets several internal settings to 'default' (e.g. your 'avast account': it is set to 60 minutes, that means: only every hour 'avast' will update your 'avast account'!!!).
The result: every entry (PC or mobilephone) with update not older than 1 day will show 'SECURED' or you see 'Security status: OFF'.

So, if you look into your 'avast account' right after you have installed avast, you will see nothing there!
That has to do with the distribution of the many updates, the 'avast'-servers have to manage.

When I wrote about the mistakes, I meant that you act too fast, for you lost patience (I meant no harm).
DID YOU READ ALL OF THIS?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program the normal way (Add-Remove Programs, etc.).  The program showed UNREGISTERED.  When I clicked on REGISTER, a window appeared saying "Collecting Information.....", but then nothing else happens.

1.Then I uninstalled using ASWCLEAR.EXE, this time in SAFE MODE (since this is what was recommended) -- the result was IDENTICAL.  It still shows UNREGISTERED and pushing the REGISTER button does nothing.

2. Notice that the registration screen has TWO ways to register.  The first way is done ONLINE and this NEVER works here.

3. However there is another way to register which is for OFFLINE computers, and it uses a LICENSE KEY.  Maybe I originally used this method?  It has been so long that I simply do not recall!  However since I have a license key sent to me by Avast via email, I decided to try this once again (since everything else has FAILED).  So I inserted my old license key and it worked PERFECTLY.  Now my Avast is registered!

4. Neglecting the website, I have the same remaining problem......  SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT still shows DISCONNECTED.  Is this important ??

5. This software has been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and in so many ways, and the result is ALWAYS the same.  I now doubt that there are any installation problems here.  However I MAY have first registered using the OFFLINE method which resulted in a LICENSE KEY.  Again, is this important ??

Concerning point 1:
I didn't ask you to do this, but done is done. The reason: there are special instructions for using 'aswclear'.
It seems to me, that you don't need something like that.
Concerning point 2:
I know. But I don't understand, why the online-registration didn't work, for I couldn't see, what you really did.
                                                                                          You're too fast!
Concerning point 3:
Normally the online-registration works. If you were registered before, 'avast' would save the old items and show you after installation.
No doubt, that you used the 'offline-registration'-method for the first time. But now you're (again) registered.
What do you intend doing NEXT?
Concerning point 4:
It IS important and I told you before why.
You have to change the following details in 'avast'-settings.
--> Settings --> choose 'Browser-Integration' and install 'AD Blocker' on IE and Firefox,
                    --> choose 'Account' (Actual Status) and see, if it shows 'Disconnect'. If yes, click 'Connect' using
                          your MAIN mail-address and password. You can also change the update-time from '60' to '20'.
                    --> choose 'Community' and here you can untick all Community-Features.

That's it.
Concerning point 5:
You didn't had doing all of this, if you gave 'avast' time to do it's work (without forcing 'avast'!).
I guess, it's NOT important (for it went the way, it did). I only had one experience like this after a 'clean install' on one of my PCs, because I had a cut-off during the update of 'avast'-program.

Important:
If you intent to do a 'clean install' on the W7-PC, please REPORT BEFORE, which situation do you have NOW on your 'XP'-PC.
The installation on the 'W7'-PC will be different (don't forget the changes in the settings!), for especially your 'Avast-Account' has to be CONNECTED with your MAIN mail-Address and password. If there is 'Mail-address is already used' or something like that, go ahead and put in your MAIN mail-address and password.

It should work. Good luck.

HDW38
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:07:36 PM by HDW38 »

J-D-H

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Hi John!

I can't believe, that it's develloping this way. I had just asked for, if you know, how to use 'aswclear' and you already did everything. I doubt, if anybody is able making you clear, how 'avast' is working.  :(
Are you sure, that you made a restart between de- and new install?
Hi!

Now I know, where to find 'aswclear'. MY FAULT: I meant REPORT BEFORE!!!

But before you do that, you should control/change several internal settings and I hope, we can do together, for I'll tell you in another post 'what where to do'. Ok? Did you read this?[/b)

DID YOU READ ALL OF THIS?

1.Then I uninstalled using ASWCLEAR.EXE, this time in SAFE MODE (since this is what was recommended) -- the result was IDENTICAL.  It still shows UNREGISTERED and pushing the REGISTER button does nothing.

2. Notice that the registration screen has TWO ways to register.  The first way is done ONLINE and this NEVER works here.

3. However there is another way to register which is for OFFLINE computers, and it uses a LICENSE KEY.  Maybe I originally used this method?  It has been so long that I simply do not recall!  However since I have a license key sent to me by Avast via email, I decided to try this once again (since everything else has FAILED).  So I inserted my old license key and it worked PERFECTLY.  Now my Avast is registered!

4. Neglecting the website, I have the same remaining problem......  SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT still shows DISCONNECTED.  Is this important ??

5. This software has been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times and in so many ways, and the result is ALWAYS the same.  I now doubt that there are any installation problems here.  However I MAY have first registered using the OFFLINE method which resulted in a LICENSE KEY.  Again, is this important ??

Concerning point 1:
I didn't ask you to do this, but done is done. The reason: there are special instructions for using 'aswclear'.
It seems to me, that you don't need something like that.
Concerning point 2:
I know. But I don't understand, why the online-registration didn't work, for I couldn't see, what you really did.
                                                                                          You're too fast!
Concerning point 3:
Normally the online-registration works. If you were registered before, 'avast' would save the old items and show you after installation.
No doubt, that you used the 'offline-registration'-method for the first time. But now you're (again) registered.
What do you intend doing NEXT?
Concerning point 4:
It IS important and I told you before why.
You have to change the following details in 'avast'-settings.
--> Settings --> choose 'Browser-Integration' and install 'AD Blocker' on IE and Firefox,
                    --> choose 'Account' (Actual Status) and see, if it shows 'Disconnect'. If yes, click 'Connect' using
                          your MAIN mail-address and password. You can also change the update-time from '60' to '20'.
                    --> choose 'Community' and here you can untick all Community-Features.

That's it.
Concerning point 5:
You didn't had doing all of this, if you gave 'avast' time to do it's work (without forcing 'avast'!).
I guess, it's NOT important (for it went the way, it did). I only had one experience like this after a 'clean install' on one of my PCs, because I had a cut-off during the update of 'avast'-program.

Important:
If you intent to do a 'clean install' on the W7-PC, please REPORT BEFORE, which situation do you have NOW on your 'XP'-PC.
The installation on the 'W7'-PC will be different (don't forget the changes in the settings!), for especially your 'Avast-Account' has to be CONNECTED with your MAIN mail-Address and password. If there is 'Mail-address is already used' or something like that, go ahead and put in your MAIN mail-address and password.

It should work. Good luck.

HDW38

Look at your earlier message #12 -- I did EXACTLY what you instructed me to do!  First I did an uninstall followed by a reinstall.  Yes, with reboots at every stage.  This did NOT help.  So I went on to do the second things you said to do -- I used ASWCLEAN.EXE and then reinstalled.  Again, with reboots.  This also did NOT fix the problem.  Now you say I am TOO FAST!

Yes, as I have told you repeatedly, the program still shows DISCONNECTED.  And if I click on CONNECT or CONNECT NOW, I get the same message saying "COLLECTING INFORMATION....", but then NOTHING HAPPENS.  Other than the website, this is the only remaining problem.

I have other things to do beyond trying to get this program to work fully and correctly.  So I will send you this PARTIAL REPLY now and then I will send a complete reply later when time allows.

John
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:42:54 PM by J-D-H »

HDW38

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Just came up an idea concerning your account:

Hi!

Please only do this: open Firefox, write https://my.avast.com in the commandline and wait until the new site is open.
Now put in your alternate mailaddress with the password and report, what you saw.

HDW38

This error message appears:
"Incorrect.  The username or password you have entered is incorrect."
Since my account was made using my MAIN email address, this error message seems to make sense.

John

Is it possible, that you used another PW than that, you used while registering into this forum? (As I wrote: just an idea).

The following lines are out of your last post:
1. Yes, as I have told you repeatedly, the program still shows DISCONNECTED.  And if I click on CONNECT or CONNECT NOW, I get the same message saying "COLLECTING INFORMATION....", but then NOTHING HAPPENS.  Other than the website, this is the only remaining problem.

2. I have other things to do beyond trying to get this program to work fully and correctly.  So I will send you this PARTIAL REPLY now and then I will send a complete reply later when time allows.

John

To 1: This I had in a earlier version of 'avast' and later never again.
To 2: That's only your decision. I always tried to treat you right and my hope was, that I could help you. Sorry. Excuse.

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »

Just came up an idea concerning your account:

Hi!

Please only do this: open Firefox, write https://my.avast.com in the commandline and wait until the new site is open.
Now put in your alternate mailaddress with the password and report, what you saw.

HDW38

This error message appears:
"Incorrect.  The username or password you have entered is incorrect."
Since my account was made using my MAIN email address, this error message seems to make sense.

John

Is it possible, that you used another PW than that, you used while registering into this forum? (As I wrote: just an idea).

The following lines are out of your last post:
1. Yes, as I have told you repeatedly, the program still shows DISCONNECTED.  And if I click on CONNECT or CONNECT NOW, I get the same message saying "COLLECTING INFORMATION....", but then NOTHING HAPPENS.  Other than the website, this is the only remaining problem.

2. I have other things to do beyond trying to get this program to work fully and correctly.  So I will send you this PARTIAL REPLY now and then I will send a complete reply later when time allows.

John

To 1: This I had in a earlier version of 'avast' and later never again.
To 2: That's only your decision. I always tried to treat you right and my hope was, that I could help you. Sorry. Excuse.

HDW38

I am back now, so these are my other comments regarding what you have said.

I have NOT forced anything.  If I have gone "TOO FAST", I have only done as I thought you wished.

I have used the correct passwords on each of the two websites.  Yes, I do understand that the two passwords are different.

My current status is unchanged.....

WinXP Computer- It still shows DISCONNECTED.  If I click on CONNECT, I am NOT given a screen to enter any information.

Win7 computer-  It seems fine in ALL respects.

My.avast.com website- This still shows no connected devices, but you have said not to worry about that.

Can you do something on your end to fix the CONNECTION problem for the WinXP computer?

John
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:25:05 AM by J-D-H »

HDW38

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

1. Win7 computer-  It seems fine in ALL respects.
2. My.avast.com website- This still shows no connected devices, but you have said not to worry about that.
3. Can you do something on your end to fix the CONNECTION problem for the WinXP computer?

Hi John!

To 1: Do you mean 'W7'-PC CONNECTED, too?
To 2: Not to worry about; for there is NO function behind! With 'my.avast.com' you can ONLY manage all your
         PCs and mobile phones. Nothing more!!! You can live without using it.
To 3: I'm really sorry, but I can't.
         If you want further details see here --> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111435.0

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »

2. My.avast.com website- This still shows no connected devices, but you have said not to worry about that.
3. Can you do something on your end to fix the CONNECTION problem for the WinXP computer?

Hi John!

To 2: Not to worry about; for there is NO function behind! With 'my.avast.com' you can ONLY manage all your
         If you want further details see here --> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111435.0

HDW38

1. Yes, the Win7 PC has ALWAYS shown CONNECTED within the program (SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT).

2. The website has NEVER shown any CONNECTED DEVICES.  This sounds important, but if you say not, then okay.

3. Sorry to hear this -- My guess is that the WinXP PC problem is with the registration on the website end.

I will read the URL you sent -- thanks for all your trouble.

John

HDW38

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »

Hi John!

HDW38

1. Yes, the Win7 PC has ALWAYS shown CONNECTED within the program (SETTINGS -> ACCOUNT).

2. The website has NEVER shown any CONNECTED DEVICES.  This sounds important, but if you say not, then okay.

3. Sorry to hear this -- My guess is that the WinXP PC problem is with the registration on the website end.

4. a) I will read the URL you sent -- b) thanks for all your trouble.

John

Concerning point 1: So please open 'avast'-UI, in the 2nd line you see right 'Account' and 'Settings', click (once)
                                on 'Account'. You should see your mail-address and 'Logout'. Click on Mail-address (once),
                                your browser starts with 'https://my.avast.com'-frame. Write your mail-address (showed
                                before) and PW and click on 'Sign in'. See, what's in there.
                                BTW: Concerning 'Add new devices', I claimed that weeks ago, but no change since now!

Concerning point 2: Right now we're only talking about 'W7'-PC!!! So you must see your 'W7'-PC in there!!!
                                Isn't it so?

Concerning point 3: For your 'XP'-PC I'd like to do another CLEAN install AFTER having read the special
                                instructions also in English (you'll find within the link, I sent you). So you can find out, if
                                something went wrong before. And during installation you should try to register with your
                                mail-address, you used for 'W7'-PC

Concerning point 4a: Nice to hear.
                            4b: You're welcome in spite of that.
 :)
HDW38
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:25:49 PM by HDW38 »

J-D-H

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

Hi John!

HDW38

4. a) I will read the URL you sent -- b) thanks for all your trouble.

John

Concerning point 1: So please open 'avast'-UI, in the 2nd line you see right 'Account' and 'Settings', click (once)
                                on 'Account'. You should see your mail-address and 'Logout'. Click on Mail-address (once),
                                your browser starts with 'https://my.avast.com'-frame. Write your mail-address (showed
                                before) and PW and click on 'Sign in'. See, what's in there.
                                BTW: Concerning 'Add new devices', I claimed that weeks ago, but no change since now!

Concerning point 2: Right now we're only talking about 'W7'-PC!!! So you must see your 'W7'-PC in there!!!
                                Isn't it so?

Concerning point 3: For your 'XP'-PC I'd like to do another CLEAN install AFTER having read the special
                                instructions also in English (you'll find within the link, I sent you). So you can find out, if
                                something went wrong before. And during installation you should try to register with your
                                mail-address, you used for 'W7'-PC

Concerning point 4a: Nice to hear.
                            4b: You're welcome in spite of that.
 :)
HDW38

Thanks you for your suggestions, but consider this alternate idea......  I will soon be building a new PC, so I intend to wait until then to load Avast.  Then this will be an absolutely "clean" installation.  I will try to register using my alternate email address.  If this fails or if any other problems occur, I believe that this will indicate where the problem lies.

By the way, I have looked over this forum, and at least one other has reported the SAME PROBLEM that I have been seeing.  And in case it matters, this was also with WinXP.  My next PC will be Win7 (or possibly Win8, but I doubt it).

Once the new PC is built and I have installed Avast, I will report here if there are any problems.

Thanks once more.  Until then.....

John

HDW38

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »

1. My next PC will be Win7 (or possibly Win8, but I doubt it).
    Once the new PC is built and I have installed Avast, I will report here if there are any problems.

2. Thanks once more.  Until then.....

To 1: I see. I have also one (in backhand), but i won't install anything until a few small cable are connected to
         the motherboard (to avoid short-circuit). In that case, I need help, too.
To 2: You're welcome.

HDW38

HDW38

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
Hi John!

Good news:
A few days ago I posted the problem concerning 'Avast Account' and not able to add another PC to 'feedback.avast.com'.
Friday they pushed it from 'NEW' to 'IN PROGRESS'! So they'll fix this problem anyhow!
Have a nice Sunday.

HDW38

J-D-H

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Hi John!

Good news:
A few days ago I posted the problem concerning 'Avast Account' and not able to add another PC to 'feedback.avast.com'.
Friday they pushed it from 'NEW' to 'IN PROGRESS'! So they'll fix this problem anyhow!
Have a nice Sunday.

HDW38

Good to hear.  So far the website acts the same as before, so I will check it periodically.  Thanks.

John

J-D-H

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »
Hi John!

Good news:
Have a nice Sunday.

HDW38

This morning I again examined the Avast installation on my main PC (after not having touched it for at least a week).

On the home screen of the program (upper right corner), I clicked on Account -> Sign-in.  Previously this action produced a "getting information" dialog, but then nothing more would occur.  However this morning, something DID HAPPEN!  A dialog appeared asking me to add this PC to my account and it asked for an email address.  I decided to try my alternate email address (NOT my main email address) since this is what I had originally wanted anyway.  This seems now to have WORKED and now that email address actually appears on the program's home screen under "Account" (along with "Log Out" below it) -- this is ALL NEW.  Furthermore, if I click on Settings -> Account, it shows my PC as being CONNECTED.  Again, this is quite new and is at it should have been all along!

I have not knowingly changed a single thing here, so I assume that Avast fixed something on their end.  Good!

John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
Well the email that you give to link that installation to your account should be the same as the one you used when you first created the my.avast.com account.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J-D-H

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
Well the email that you give to link that installation to your account should be the same as the one you used when you first created the my.avast.com account.

The situation is more complex than that -- two PCs, two 2 different email addresses, etc.  How this came about is a long story, but since I was assured that installations of Avast on multiple PCs can in fact have the same email address, I tried this and it finally worked today.  Evidently something recently changed as regards the Avast registration process, so I would not even think of making any changes now that all is well here!  End of story -- on to other things.......

John