Author Topic: Avast WebRep blank out Google Analytics  (Read 1982 times)

antoniooi

Avast WebRep blank out Google Analytics
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Hey Guys,

I just installed the latest version of avast free edition. After enabled the Firefox's avast WebRep plugin, my Google Analytics goes empty no matter how you refresh it. After disabling WepRep, everything back to normal. Does it mean that Google Analytics has some unsafe codes executing behind the scene? Will it harm my online safety without WebRep enabled?

Thanks!

Antonio

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast WebRep blank out Google Analytics
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »
Google analytics is tracking software used by Google and most people dislike it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast WebRep blank out Google Analytics
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
Well Google Analytics is essentially used by the sites themselves to plot the activity/traffic/navigation through their site, not specifically for Google.

So do you mean that this is your site that you have installed the google-analytics on and you can't view the stats ?

I have never found an issue with the webrep enabled, generally there are few sites that I even allow google-analytics in the firefox RequestPolicy add-on, so in most cases as a normal browser you don't need google-analytics just to browse the site.

That said though, I currently have it disabled/uninstalled in the avast free 8.0.1484 public beta as it messes with the window layout. Though some sites may insist on its use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security