Author Topic: 4.6/home with xp/sp2 kills OE progress  (Read 3699 times)

landhoho

4.6/home with xp/sp2 kills OE progress
« on: March 12, 2005, 07:39:24 AM »
After installing SP2 for XP, the Outlook Express progress bar no longer shows when downloading longer newsgroup files. Monitoring dial-up traffic (using DU-Meter) implies Avast is loading a buffer, which -after evaluation- it dumps to the display cache with a progress bar zipping across in a fraction of a second.

When the "Internet Mail" provider is either killed or paused, the progress bar is evident -- like it used to be before installing SP2.  Any suggestions? Would appreciate rsvp to land-ho@prodigy.net

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: 4.6/home with xp/sp2 kills OE progress
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »
Some people experience minor problems if they install SP2 when Avast is already on their system. Removing Avast completely and reinstalling (after a reboot ofcourse) solves many if not all of them.

landhoho

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 07:57:05 PM »
Not this time! I've completely reinstalled five times... And the effect persists -- no progress bar if the internet mail provider is enabled..

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 09:19:46 PM »
landhoho, well yes, this is exactly the way it works.
Please see also e.g. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11981.0

The reason for this is that avast needs to download the message first to be able to disinfect it (oh yeah, the avast mail scanner is able to disinfect virulent emails on the fly).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

landhoho

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 09:46:47 PM »
Vik,

In my first posting I'd figured out that avast was loading a "buffer" (for subsequent evaluation in re virus presence) before dumping to "downloaded"-cache for display. My complaint is that Windows-sans-SP2 progress-bar apparently used to monitor loading of the "buffer" and now it appears to monitor the dumping of the buffer (to cache).

Any way to change this facet of SP2?

Tnx, Bob (landhoho)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »
Are you sure? I mean, the OE progress bar has always been unusable with the avast mail scanner turned on (as far as I can remember), that is, it has always been displaying the progress of the local communication "avast --> OE" (which is naturally very fast), as opposed to "mail server --> avast" (which is what you'd like to see).

Haven't you been using Outlook (not Express) instead? In Outlook, scanning is performed differently and the progress bar works.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 11:51:29 PM »
Are you sure? I mean, the OE progress bar has always been unusable with the avast mail scanner turned on (as far as I can remember), that is, it has always been displaying the progress of the local communication "avast --> OE" (which is naturally very fast), as opposed to "mail server --> avast" (which is what you'd like to see).

For me, the OE progress bar works like a charm with avast.
It's fast but it's on line with the messages being displayed into the Inbox, one by one.
Maybe I have luck  ;D
The best things in life are free.