Author Topic: Multi-threaded optical disc scanning fail by avast! ?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Multi-threaded optical disc scanning fail by avast! ?
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
I've noticed one thing with avast! v8 (which i didn't with avast! v7), whenever i put a game disc (DVD) into my optical unit it's thrashing it around like crazy and its taking ages for anything to start or even show up as files in an opened folder. And last time i had such experience was some audio encoder trying to rip 8 tracks from an Audio CD at once, making slow optical head in optical drives move around and try to seek each track on different place of the drive. It was slow, noisy and it sounded like it will break apart any second. As soon as i disabled multithreading (which otherwise works great with HDD), read speed went sky high, no thrashing around and noises and even though it was doing only 1 track at a time it was fast. Because optical drives are designed to work that way.

To me it seems like avast! 8 is trying to read (and scan) several files at once from DVD, resulting in MUCH slower performance than if it would scan file after file in sequence, pretty much as the recorded spiral goes around (menaing you have no random seeking). Optical drives were never designed for loads of sequential random reads all over the optical disc surface.

I'm not sure whats going on but to me it seems like avast! v8 is scanning several files at once from HDD. However no one predicted that avast! will continue to do the same with optical drives as well and that thrashes it into bits pretty much. I've started playing a lot of yet unplayed games that i've bought in the past and this is really ridiculous. Placed Alice Madness Returns in the drive and it was just thrashing itself for 10 minutes and it failed to list files in one folder on the DVD. So i ejected the DVD as it was driving me nuts. Disabling avast! entirely, insert the DVD and all is fine again. Files are quite quickly listed in all folders, everything works fine.

Win7 64bit fully updated
avast! Free 8.0.1483
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Multi-threaded optical disc scanning fail by avast! ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
Interesting observation... but there's no special parallelization of the scanning - the FileSystem Shields scans the files as they are accessed. If they are accessed in parallel, even the scanning might be so - but I don't think anything has changed about it for a long time.
It could also be caused by extensive seeking over ONE file being scanned... but that behavior is bound to virus definitions, it doesn't depent on the program version. Could be it has changed recently...
I don't know... a log from Process Monitor might give some hints.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
I'm sure someone at avast! knows what has changed or you can try it yourself, just insert a DVD of some game that has entire disc filled. It will thrash it around like crazy. I don't ever recall this happening with avast! v7 or any other AV in fact...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »
OK, let me put it other way - nothing has changed (not intentionally at least).
As for trying myself... I would, but i'm afraid I'm not into games, so I certainly don't have any such disk :)