Author Topic: Poor Support.  (Read 3844 times)

Williesav

Poor Support.
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
I purchased Internet security a few weeks back, and thought i activated it, I was mistaken. I kept getting warnings of expiration dates. So i called support. They told me that my brand new laptop os was bad., but there tech could fix the problem for $169.99. i said "no way just send me my activation email again". The tech would not let it go. She kept telling me that i had to let them fix the problem, that windows 7 had to many errors, but assured me that Avast tech will fix it. I said i will just unload and reload software she said it would not fix it. It did, i forgot to insert license. Almost lost $169.99.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Poor Support.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
Unfortunately that 3rd party support (not direct to avast) have some people keen to sell a support package. This is quite frankly disgusting bordering on mis-selling  and totally unacceptable as your issue is well within what is covered by the free support conditions.

Third-party Support Manager, Vojta (nekvapil (at) avast (dot) com) has requested info about 3rd party support issues, so if you have time to recount your experience (copy and paste your post give the link to this topic, etc.), and see the post below.

Reference forum response post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111683.msg877605#msg877605
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Williesav

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. It seemed really strange that they did not ask if I inserted the license properly from E-Mail. Oh well.  I will submit it to the link. I am just glad i did not loose money. Oh by the way they double charged my CC. I submitted a request for a refund.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
You're welcome.

Hopefully your refund will be promptly dealt with and that you also informed Vojta of that co*k up also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

barneyd

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:36 PM »
I purchased 3/25/13,wouldn't down-load properly..I've been trying to get a re-fund on a product that I just don't want or like.After 3 calls to the 952-908-4150,which,by the way is a Minnesota area code,I get people in..........tada,The Phillipines! I don't appreciate my $$ going out of the country.Ok,rant out of the way,3 calls,3 e-mails,and no acknowlegments from -emails,in 3 working days.I'm on s/s,$$ are really short,all I want is a refund for a product that I've never used!HELP!!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »
have you tried the contact info here.   http://www.avast.com/contacts

or this.    http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php

guestja

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
This is getting really ugly!! It's getting harder to keep up the tortured logic to rationalize this kind of behavior isn't it guys?  This is definitely to the point where it is reflecting negatively on Avast (especially to those of us who have been around here for years). This is not the way things used to be run. I mean if you hire someone to provide a service for you and they start trying to intimidate and shake down yours customers - at some point that becomes a reflection on you!

Seeing that this has continued beyond the removal of Iyogi -  I cringe, and am embarrassed for Avast every time I hear it.  Just telling people, "If you had  come to the forum first this wouldn't have happened" does not resolve the fact that it is continually happening to unsuspecting people in the first place.  Many, if not most,   would choose support first because they would be intimidated by the prospect of asking a question on a forum and being able to follow the advice offered.

My  apologies in advance if this offends any of the volunteers who have donated their time and talent here for years.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:38:31 PM by jwa »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Well if you have been around here for years you will or should have noticed that iYogi were canned for the same performances.

I don't know why they would feel intimidated, as the same questions are likely to be asked over a phone call to determine what the problem is. Unless remote access is used (and the user has to help up to a point to allow this) and remote access is unlikely to be able to fault find problems in avast without having some idea of what the user is experiencing.

Otherwise there might be a temptation to go fishing to find a problem (or not) that would require a premium support package. Do you not think that they would feel intimidated by that.

In the forums we can take it at the pace of the user and explain what to do in steps they can understand or they can ask for further explanation. There is no charge and even if it is an unrelated avast issue they will most likely get help with that too provided the volunteers have knowledge of it again at no cost.

guestja

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »
David, I joined the forum in 2004, when Eddy, Rezor and Tech did much of the work. I remember when you came on the scene after Eddy pulled back. Yeah - I"ve been here - and check the forum pretty much every day.

I think you misunderstood my point. I am well aware that IYogi is no longer on the scene and was  expressing my disappointment that the same behavior is continuing on with the new people. It is not right, and I sense from the tone of some of your own posts - that you do not think it is right either.

And as to the benefit of the forum - you"re  preaching to the choir -  I totally agree with you.  I watch you, and others, try to try to help people here every day. But I suggest to you that most people who use Avast  are probably effectively computer Illiterate, and they would be apprehensive to display that publicly on a forum. In fact it would never even cross their minds to do so.  I don't think any of the people in my extended family, friends, or people I worked with would sign on, and come into a forum to get help for their computer. They would call support, ask a friend, or take it into a computer shop.  Pretty much in that order.  ymmv

So, yes if they would come here first, they would be treated, well and most often helped; but I firmly believe that most who have problems  won't.

I like Avast, support Avast, and have recommended Avast. Maybe I am too old, and been around too long, but I remember years ago when I had trouble getting a software accelerator to work with my dial up vendor  I had two different Avast developers come onto the forum and help me to get it going. My have things changed!  Think back, can you imagine the things we're hearing now happening back then.

Johnny4745

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
I have used the paid version of Avast for two years, and I have always found the Avast support people very friendly and helpful.

The first year I signed up it was easy, and I had Avast working in no time.  The second year when I went to renew my license, I was taken to a website that said I had to agree to automatic renewal each year.  I didn't like that, but was given no option to renew unless I accepted the automatic renewal.

I Emailed Avast support, and was given a link to a website where I could renew without agreeing to and automatic renewal, and it was ten dollars cheaper.

I'm sure the people that put that website up are the same third party you were dealing with.

barneyd

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
PONDUS,TRIED BOTH LINKS,TKS!,THEY'RE THE ONES THAT THE RIVER PEEPS SAY TO WAIT 3 WORKING DAYS.ME THINKS THAT THEY SHOULD BE IVESTIGATED FOR FRAUD! NOTHING TAKES 3 DAYS IN THE CYBER WORLD.THEY JUST WANT ME TO BACK OFF.SORRY,AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!FACE-BOOK HERE I COME!