Author Topic: Avast 7 latest version  (Read 14683 times)

atryeu

Avast 7 latest version
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
Is there anywhere I can still download a full installer of the final version of Avast 7 that was released? I want it as a backup before I upgrade to 8, so if something doesn't work I can uninstall 8 and go back to 7 for now. My last installer I have is 5 something and going from that up to the last version of 7 will be impossible for me to download definition updates on my dialup connection. It times out after 8hrs and disconnects itself and that means I can't download anything larger than about 60-65MB without a good working resume support available.

I used to use FileHippo to download older versions but their version 7 download is linking to the installer for version 8 instead :(  Is there anywhere at all I can get a copy of 7 somewhere, just in case?

Thanks in advance.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 7 latest version
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
If you use their Mirror site link from the avast 7.0.1474 http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/13608/ you should get the correct version. Just tested it see images, click to expand.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:00:41 AM »
Hi,

in addition to the information from DavidR, here another possibility.
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

atryeu

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
Thank you both. I have 1hr left to finish on the version 8 installer and then I'll try those.

The problem with FileHippo is that it keeps giving me the version 8 installer no matter what I click :( After this is done I will try the mirror one more time and see if it gives the correct size and if it doesn't work I'll try the other link.

I'll report back with either my success or failure to start the correct download.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

atryeu

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:26:22 AM »
The download for 8 finished and I have 7 started now (and will be finished in about 9 hrs *sigh*). The FileHippo Mirror link worked this time... I hope. It's reporting the size as 92mb this time though.

Thank you everybody!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Offline ky331

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:21 AM »
When you go to install v7... if the installer advises you there's a newer version (8.x) that it will automatically download... you can get around this [and keep v7] by adjusting your PC's clock back to a date when v7 was released.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

atryeu

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:18 AM »
When you go to install v7... if the installer advises you there's a newer version (8.x) that it will automatically download... you can get around this [and keep v7] by adjusting your PC's clock back to a date when v7 was released.

I have 7 installed now already. I wanted the full installer for it in case I have trouble with 8 when I install that.   If I do have to downgrade for some reason, the installer better not try to download it.... I keep automatic updates turned off (except for virus definitions.. program update installer is off so I do it manually).  LoL  Thanks for the tip though. I'm surprised that works still with newer programs. I remember it doing that on older programs with trials and you could sometimes drag the trial out a ways further by turning the date backward on the computer LoL

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
I remember it doing that on older programs with trials and you could sometimes drag the trial out a ways further by turning the date backward on the computer LoL
Once avast! is installed, changing your clock back could be a problem with avast!
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Is there anywhere I can still download a full installer of the final version of Avast 7 that was released? I want it as a backup before I upgrade to 8, so if something doesn't work I can uninstall 8 and go back to 7 for now. My last installer I have is 5 something and going from that up to the last version of 7 will be impossible for me to download definition updates on my dialup connection. It times out after 8hrs and disconnects itself and that means I can't download anything larger than about 60-65MB without a good working resume support available.

I used to use FileHippo to download older versions but their version 7 download is linking to the installer for version 8 instead :(  Is there anywhere at all I can get a copy of 7 somewhere, just in case?

Thanks in advance.

In regards to staying connected longer than the 8 hrs there is an ISP that is FREE and will stay connected 10 hours that I use when download large files (I can usually download 75-80MB with this ISP which typically covers most if not all download sizes).  Only problem the connect numbers are for Southern California. If you either live in that area or have low cost long distance this might help.

Here is the SoCalFree.com site: http://www.socalfree.net/

There  is another FREE dial up with over 500 connection numbers for the State of California but I'm not sure how long they stay connected (I've always used SoCalFree for longer downloads since I live in this area).

The other FREE site for California in case you want to try them is fastfreedialup: http://www.fastfreedialup.com/index.html (I have just found this ISP recently and found them to be as fast as any dial-up I've ever had now or in the past to be perfectly frank)

If you don't live in California there is also a website for FREE ISP service in over 500 countries around the world at this site (including all 50 states in the U.S) as well as over 20K free wifi hotspots: http://www.free-internet.name/ (clicking on the links you can go to any country or U.S. state to find FREE dial-up and wifi).

I can only vouch for SoCalFree staying connected for 10 hours but I've heard that while paid ISP's generally disconnect after 5-6 hours ironically the free one's often stay connected at least 10 hours.

Your service stays connected (8 hours) much more than most paid ISP's, I would like to know, WHICH ISP DIAL-UP SERVICE DO YOU USE?

I use SoCalFree and fastfreedialup more recently if I'm not using my $6.75 paid dial-up ISP (I use one cheap paid ISP because it gives me FREE web space and also so that I don't take advantage of the FREE service too much with the other two FREE dialup ISP's I use that I've mentioned above)

It's nice to know there is someone else out there still using Dial-Up....  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:14:01 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

atryeu

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

Thanks in advance.

In regards to staying connected longer than the 8 hrs there is an ISP that is FREE and will stay connected 10 hours that I use when download large files (I can usually download 75-80MB with this ISP which typically covers most if not all download sizes).  Only problem the connect numbers are for Southern California. If you either live in that area or have low cost long distance this might help.

There  is another FREE dial up with over 500 connection numbers for the State of California but I'm not sure how long they stay connected (I've always used SoCalFree for longer downloads since I live in this area).

The other FREE site for California in case you want to try them is fastfreedialup: http://www.fastfreedialup.com/index.html (I have just found this ISP recently and found them to be as fast as any dial-up I've ever had now or in the past to be perfectly frank)

If you don't live in California there is also a website for FREE ISP service in over 500 countries around the world at this site (including all 50 states in the U.S) as well as over 20K free wifi hotspots: http://www.free-internet.name/ (clicking on the links you can go to any country or U.S. state to find FREE dial-up and wifi).

I can only vouch for SoCalFree staying connected for 10 hours but I've heard that while paid ISP's generally disconnect after 5-6 hours ironically the free one's often stay connected at least 10 hours.

Your service stays connected (8 hours) much more than most paid ISP's, I would like to know, WHICH ISP DIAL-UP SERVICE DO YOU USE?

I use SoCalFree and fastfreedialup more recently if I'm not using my $6.75 paid dial-up ISP (I use one cheap paid ISP because it gives me FREE web space and also so that I don't take advantage of the FREE service too much with the other two FREE dialup ISP's I use that I've mentioned above)

Thanks for the info. I'm up in Washington state. I'm way out in the country and they won't setup high speed in my area and we have no clear view of the south sky so no satellite :(  Because I'm in the middle of nowhere, I only connect at 24k too *sigh*

I've actually been paying for an unlimited service for more than 10 years now, and within the last 5 years or so they suddenly sent a warning letter out stating we were going over our "monthly limit" that we've never had before and were never given any kind of notice for :( We've always had the 8hr session limit, but we have only 250hrs per month now, which isn't good with dialup :(

Thanks for the links. I looked up Washington but everything listed either wasn't even for Washington or the access numbers were for way up in Seattle (which is long distance) :( The only ones I know that work are the Netzero and Juno but they are limited and I hate their service. Those dumb banner ads always ruin how I have my programs and such sized on my screen and they disconnect constantly -_-

I go through a semi-local service called IINet. I HATE them! If you have one down there (I know they have other areas they cover), don't deal with them -_- They lie about their "unlimited" service, their tech support is awful and half of their features never work and they blame it all on the customer whether it's their fault or not. I've been through ever other local ISP though and either none of them work in my area or they we've had other problems with them in the past :(

Even if I could stay connected longer in 1 session, I'd have to be careful still. We only have 1 phone line and no cell phone service out here. We used to have a service called Callwave that was a small program that acts like an answering machine while your online. You'd setup Forward on Busy with your phone company and when you get a busy signal it bounces your number to Callwave where the program on the computer picks up and  you can see the caller ID info and hear a message if they leave one. They got rid of the service though so the line is fully blocked when somebody is online :( I can't find another similar program with the built in caller ID and message service (most require caller ID through the phone company, which we were told we can't get because of how old and outdated the phone lines are out here). It's sad.... I wish I had somewhere else to go. I rely heavily on the internet for education and money, both which I really can't do at all on dialup :(  The state got several million dollars a few years back to lay out new lines to get high speed to very rural areas, and rather than going through out county they went up and around us, of course :(  Not sure what we are supposed to do in a world that is quickly forcing people to use the internet to access very important things now days.... Nobody wants to go through the regular mail anymore -_-

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. I'm up in Washington state. I'm way out in the country and they won't setup high speed in my area and we have no clear view of the south sky so no satellite :(  Because I'm in the middle of nowhere, I only connect at 24k too *sigh*

I've actually been paying for an unlimited service for more than 10 years now, and within the last 5 years or so they suddenly sent a warning letter out stating we were going over our "monthly limit" that we've never had before and were never given any kind of notice for :( We've always had the 8hr session limit, but we have only 250hrs per month now, which isn't good with dialup :(

Thanks for the links. I looked up Washington but everything listed either wasn't even for Washington or the access numbers were for way up in Seattle (which is long distance) :( The only ones I know that work are the Netzero and Juno but they are limited and I hate their service. Those dumb banner ads always ruin how I have my programs and such sized on my screen and they disconnect constantly -_-

I go through a semi-local service called IINet. I HATE them! If you have one down there (I know they have other areas they cover), don't deal with them -_- They lie about their "unlimited" service, their tech support is awful and half of their features never work and they blame it all on the customer whether it's their fault or not. I've been through ever other local ISP though and either none of them work in my area or they we've had other problems with them in the past :(

Even if I could stay connected longer in 1 session, I'd have to be careful still. We only have 1 phone line and no cell phone service out here. We used to have a service called Callwave that was a small program that acts like an answering machine while your online. You'd setup Forward on Busy with your phone company and when you get a busy signal it bounces your number to Callwave where the program on the computer picks up and  you can see the caller ID info and hear a message if they leave one. They got rid of the service though so the line is fully blocked when somebody is online :( I can't find another similar program with the built in caller ID and message service (most require caller ID through the phone company, which we were told we can't get because of how old and outdated the phone lines are out here). It's sad.... I wish I had somewhere else to go. I rely heavily on the internet for education and money, both which I really can't do at all on dialup :(  The state got several million dollars a few years back to lay out new lines to get high speed to very rural areas, and rather than going through out county they went up and around us, of course :(  Not sure what we are supposed to do in a world that is quickly forcing people to use the internet to access very important things now days.... Nobody wants to go through the regular mail anymore -_-

The only answer about your ISP choices would be to acquire a phone service package that would include a FREE long distance service if possible so that you'd be able to use ISP's in other areas.

As to CallWave there is on alternative that is a software application that can be purchased and will  of course eliminate a monthly fee like you have with CallWave.

That alternative would be NetWaiting program: http://www.download32.com/bvrp-netwaiting-software.html, the only problem that remains is that you would still need a minimum of "Call Waiting" to be applied to your phone service for it to work.  I think "Call Waiting" would be minimally required for anything like this kind of thing for dial-up actually.  NetWaiting will ring you on the computer when a call comes in (if you also have "Caller ID" then this would inform who's calling but all you really have to have is "Call Waiting" for NetWaiting to work if I'm not mistaken) and you would have the option to answer the call (pause Internet connection) for a few minutes (I think max 6 minutes) while you still remain connected.  I'm surprise that "Call Waiting" is not even available to you.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

atryeu

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »
We really don't have anything for phone service here. The only company we can go through is Century Tel, which is now Century Link and is absolutely horrible! After Callwave shut down, we tried to get the Call Forward on Busy removed... well, mom did, it's their account, I'm just stuck living here still. She created the original account over 10 years ago (I was there when she did), and when she tried to remove that server they told her she wasn't authorized to do it. Dad had to call later when he got home and they wanted his full SSN which he wouldn't give them and it was a huge hassle to get the dumb service removed again so people wouldn't have trouble calling through. In order to authorize mom to be on the account (even though she created the account in the first place and never had trouble before taking care of 100% of the bills and anything else with the phones), they also tried to get her full SSN. The company is a joke since they changed whenever that was, but they are the only option we have around here.

We do have Call Waiting, that's about the only other service we can get here. We can't do a lot of the features due to the old phone lines. We have had a similar program before Callwave that supposidly would do that, but it didn't actually work correctly and we never did another one. It won't let us "pause" the internet.. you have to completely disconnect or it won't let you use the phone at all and because it used call waiting, the internet would normally just disconnect if a call came in no matter what. I keep the *70 on the internet number to block call waiting so that doesn't happen while I'm online. We had found Callwave shortly after that. I did see a lot of those other similar programs like the one you mentioned though, but after all the problems we had, we didn't want to try another one like that. Thanks though!

lnjr

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
I don't know if this would be of any help or not but have you tried a download manager for downloading large files?  When I had dial up I would use one to download my files and it was a great help (just don't recall which one I used).

There are (or at least use to be) a few free ones out there and some of them would support / have a resume feature as well.

I did find a link for one called free download manager at http://download.cnet.com/Free-Download-Manager/3000-2071_4-10522685.html

another one is at http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

and http://www.speedbit.com/

this one isn't free but you can try it for free   http://getright.com/

I also found this that might be of some help  http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1642530

You can do a search for download managers (or Free Download Manager) and find many different links for this type of software.