Author Topic: I want to disable the software updater  (Read 10891 times)

guestja

Re: I want to disable the software updater
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »
I have a simple resolution that should work temporarily.  Go to the software update page and for each program that it is monitoring click on "more details" then in the drop down select "ignore program" . It will no longer monitor these programs and the change persists.

mylemonblue

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
Welp, I didn't cancel or stop the process, as is SOP I let it do it's thing. Kind of sad to see that Windows alert pop up afterward.

The SITREP now is that I've completely uninstalled then re-installed custom again. Hopefully no updates return that nag popup. Thanks for putting up with my rant. I've dealt with a lot of weirdness over the years but it's usually from graphics software the AV.

Now I'm off to see if I have time to finish another thing I was supposed to be doing...I got up early to test some graphic files for a friend and squandered my time on this instead.

Edit.
@ jwa, thanks for the added input. I didn't see that option going through it. I'll go back and look for that if it persists again. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:52:40 PM by mylemonblue »

newuser1

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »
Nortonitus setting in eh?

Instead of adding more bloat and rubbish the majority of people don't want why don't avast concentrate on making a more streamlined and better product?

Adding this crappy software updater and then deliberately hiding the method to get rid of it has lost avast many friends.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
And you by a fact know that majority of 180 million users hate Software Updater? I'm an advanced user and i like it...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Alievitan

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
I like the idea but the implementation requires a bit of work.  A lot of times the update list is simply not current for days on end, kinda defeating the purpose of having the updater in the first place especially for time sensitive security patches.  Example being when Java update 17 was released, Avast still listed update 15 as the most current version for days.  I also seen the same thing happen with Chrome and flash. 

It shouldn't be that hard, there are a couple of RSS feeds which exist to notify people of security updates.  If you don't use RSS feeds, Oracle and Adobe have specific emailing list that email you whenever there is a patch.

newuser1

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
And you by a fact know that majority of 180 million users hate Software Updater? I'm an advanced user and i like it...

And you know for a fact that majority of 180 million users love Software Updater?

Oh that's right you are an advanced user and apparently you know everything? btw what does being an Advanced User prove - you can read minds?

If you bother to read what I posted properly and not jumped to conclusions you'll find I didn't say anything about 180 million users hating the Software Updater. (Rolls eyes)