Author Topic: windows start up problems  (Read 5682 times)

dtcronin

windows start up problems
« on: March 09, 2003, 12:04:13 AM »
Hi,

First may i say well done on a great product. I just have a couple of problems.
I am running Avast 4 home edition on windows XP pro and there is no other AV software loaded.
1. After login when the desktop loads its hangs after loading avast. You can access icons on the desktop but you get the egg timer if you bring the mouse over the taskbar or the system tray. The avast icon in the system tray has a small red line on it and thid all lasts for about 4 minutes. then the rest of the programs in the system tray load and everything returns to normal. Any ideas why this is happening?

2. Since setting up avast to check my mail i always have to enter my password when i press send/recieve  in Outlookexpress. Is this something i can disable in Avast?

regards  :)

Damian

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:windows start up problems
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 09:32:26 AM »
dtcronin,

thanks for your report.

1. After login when the desktop loads its hangs after loading avast.

This is most likely a collision with another program/driver installed on your machine. It remains to find out which...  ;) It will be some program that loads automatically on startup (like avast). To find out which programs load on startup, you can use a utility such as AutoRuns (from SysInternals) http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml . Please try to experiment with the loaded programs - try disabling them one after another... The goal is to find out which progam (together with avast) is causing it...

It may also be a driver or service, though... Do you have any extra hardware?  Or connect to some unix systems?

In short, to solve this problem, we really need much more information - no one has reported such a problem to us so far...  :-[

2. Since setting up avast to check my mail i always have to enter my password when i press send/recieve  in Outlookexpress. Is this something i can disable in Avast?

And after you fill it in, it works? Actually, it's not avast who's asking, it's Outlook, so you could try to set the credentials in the account settings there... (but I suppose this is what you already did).
One more question: don't you use SSL to connect to your server?

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.