Author Topic: Internet problems, unable to load  (Read 3747 times)

systemfel

Internet problems, unable to load
« on: March 13, 2005, 04:41:01 PM »
Hi all.
I have a problem, Ever since I installed avast I cant load websites (note that I use both IE and Firefox)

When I start the computer I can surf for about half an hour but after that I cant load webpages properly. It works once evry 10 tries os so. So if I wants to visit www.altavista.com for example, I have to type it in 10 times and then it hopefully works. And it is like that with EVRY page I tried.

I dont have a firewall installed, I disabled the win xp original one. Note that I dont have SP2. And my internet dont connect throu a proxy server. I have now looked in this forum for hours but I cant find a solution.
Im begging you, PLEASE help me. Im going crazy and I fear I might kill my neigbours cat or something unless this is resolved.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Internet problems, unable to load
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »
This doesn't sound like a Avast problem to me.
Is the problem solved if you disable one of the providers in Avast?
If so which one?

systemfel

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 04:52:49 PM »
Well, nothing. I disabled the all the providers but no change. So the problem sholdnt be in the program itshelf but Im thinking it changes something when you install it. It worked just fine untill I did install it.
Any recommendations of what I sould do?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 04:55:17 PM »
I disabled the all the providers but no change.
The more reason to believe it is not Avast.

Let's start with making sure your system is clean from malware.
Click on the link in my signature and follow the instructions in the malware removal section.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »
1. Browsing without a firewall now a days is not advisable.
2. If you are surfing without problem for 30 minutes and then you experience problems, then it is unlikely to be related to avast, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to browse period.
3. If your system can upgrade to SP2 then you should, otherwise you are leaving your system vulnerable.

What avast! version (current 4.6.623) and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0510-1 (see about avast!)?

What avast providers were you using before disabling them?

There is a very strong likelihood that your system is crippled by adware/spyware and I recommend you get to Eddy's Website as he suggested.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 04:59:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

systemfel

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »
Eddy: Okay, Im downloading all of the programs in your mal-ware page. Alltough I think they wont do any good since I formated my system yesterday, but Ill give it a go.

David: I know its bad to dont have I firewall, but since I just formated the computer I havent been able to get one. And reading the posts in this forum it apperently solves alot of problems with Avast to disable the firewall or set it to accept some .exe.
version: 4.6.623
virus database number 0510-1
I just got the latest relese yesterday as well.
I was using all providers before I disabled them.
I really really really doubt I have any spy/adware at all since all I've done since yesterday is downloading nessecary programs from download.com and I dont think they have to much adware and spyware.

I cant get SP2. To make a long story short: I have a leagal version of Windows XP home edition but that dont work well with my network so I had to get PRO, and since microsoft is assholes the home-version license key dont work with PRO i have a cracked version of it. Besides I dont like much of the things SP2 does.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 06:24:09 PM »
I know its bad to dont have I firewall, but since I just formated the computer I havent been able to get one.  And reading the posts in this forum it apperently solves alot of problems with Avast to disable the firewall or set it to accept some .exe.
That I'm sure was just to test and see if it was indeed the firewall blocking avast, it wasn't a permanent, recommended course of action (only a test).

I really really really doubt I have any spy/adware at all since all I've done since yesterday is downloading necessary programs from download.com and I don't think they have to much adware and spyware.
I doubt it too, now that you have made it clear you formatted it yesterday.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security