Author Topic: Automatic updates  (Read 4247 times)

marcelj

Automatic updates
« on: March 13, 2005, 01:35:15 PM »
Hi,

Could it be that every now and then the automatic update doesn't work? I ask this because I had problems with another program (Spywareblaster 3.3) and then on the net found something about NOT having the latest AVAST version.
So I looked at the program version I had: 4.6.603, last automatic program update was 27th febr.
I checked my settings: automatic update selected for virus db as well as program on a permanently connected computer.
I then manually selected Update/program and indeed I received a newer version: 4.6.623. And, amazingly, after the reboot my Spywareblaster problem was vanished.

Am I misinterpreting the automatic update, or do I have to change my settings in any way?
I have no idea where to look to solve this "problem".
BTW, I had this in XP-Pro as well as W2K-Pro on my PC.

Could you please help me out or give me any suggestions about possible cause(s)?

Regards,
Marcel

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Automatic updates
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 01:40:43 PM »
Please see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8057.msg66267#msg66267 for explanation of this behavior.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 01:48:21 PM »
Besides what Vlk explained, note that avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
But for the program update, there is a schedule on the server to update all the avast! installations in a week period (if I'm not wrong).
The best things in life are free.

marcelj

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:06:28 PM »
Ok VLK,

That's clear and sounds good to me.
Thanks,
Marcel

Technical,

Thanks for you explanation