Author Topic: Internet connection timeout.  (Read 3742 times)

Norm321

Internet connection timeout.
« on: March 13, 2005, 07:46:38 PM »
Once in a while I get a message that pops up about a Internet Connection Timeout.
It seems to be happening when some one is logged on to Win XP and the computer is at the login screen. The program that causes it is Eprompter which is a email notification program. I have a constant connection to the internet. the message says, A Internet connection  timeout has occurred, do you want to continue to wiat. Yes or No are the options to select. Most of the time I have only one window pop up but also have had several identical ones at times. Not a big problem but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion to why this is happening and how possibly to prevent it. Thanks for your help!!  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Internet connection timeout.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 09:40:05 PM »
Do you run ePrompter as a service? In this case, which account is used for it?
Do you mean the login screen (without any user logged) or just a locked computer (one user logged and the login screen on top)?

Most probably ePrompter cannot verify the password of the accounts because you're not logged as a user (or a user with enough rights) at that time... Maybe I'm wrong... Just guessing.
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »
Eprompter runs in the system tray for each user and automatically updates everyones mail accounts(5 total,  2 charter, 1 yahoo, 1 hotmail, 1 myrealbox) every 30 minutes. It's the login screen, with my wife logged on and the login screen on top cause she uses the computer the most and is usually logged on. I have been logged on at the same time by using the switch user feature and Eprompter seems to update with her logged on because I hear the audible sound when it updates. I have the system set for when the screen saver comes on for her to stay logged on and not for the welcome(login) screen to appear. The other users are sent to the login screen. Not sure if that has any effect or not.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 11:00:11 PM »
Norm321, most probably it's a matter of Eprompter and the switch user Windows feature...
I have the same with the POP3 Notifier plugin of Spamihilator if the last one is running as a service...
Does Eprompter offer any kind of technical support?

Norm321

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »
Thanks for the input Tech, I wasn't sure if it was a Eprompter problem or a avast issue. Eprompter is Freeware and does offer support. I'll look around at there forum to see if I can find anything there. It's not big deal but if I can eliminate it that would be good. Thanks!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:36:45 AM »
Thanks for the input Tech, I wasn't sure if it was a Eprompter problem or a avast issue. Eprompter is Freeware and does offer support. I'll look around at there forum to see if I can find anything there. It's not big deal but if I can eliminate it that would be good. Thanks!!

Norm... You're welcome. I tried ePrompter some time ago but I found a lot of other freewares that do the same... Anyway, the great reason to change was the POP3 Notifier of the Spamihilator... Since then I saw no reason for another software.
Oh, I'm a Norton converted too  8)