Author Topic: Why buy the pro version?  (Read 3731 times)

Terrance

Why buy the pro version?
« on: March 13, 2005, 10:31:49 PM »
I am using the freeware home version of avast!. I saw it reviewed in PC World, I believe. I like it very much. I have used Macafee and Norton for years, and this is better. I have dropped them.

For this to be free AND provide automatic updates is hard to believe. I would like to support the company by buying the professional version, but I just can't see the value it adds. There are a few extra features, but the primary functions are the same as the free version.

How about adding some real compelling feature to the pro version? Maybe an anonymizer or firewall so it makes it worthwhile to buy the yearly subscription and get rid of some other security software we have running. Just a thought.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Why buy the pro version?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 10:37:16 PM »
How about adding some real compelling feature to the pro version?
There are already many major differences like,
enhanched user interface, command line scanner, defining your own tasks and many more

http://www.avast.com/eng/av4_version_comp.html

techie101

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 10:41:45 PM »
I would like to support the company by buying the professional version, but I just can't see the value it adds.
Firstly, your kind comments have supported Avast already!  ;)

There are a few extra features, but the primary functions are the same as the free version.
For most users, the Home version is fine.  Some advanced users like the "bells and whistles" of the Pro version, but both Home and PRO offer excellent protection.

How about adding some real compelling feature to the pro version? Maybe an anonymizer or firewall
Anonymizer or Accelerators are freely available from either your ISP or on the net.  This "feature" deviates from the main purpose of Avast.....protection from virus infection.  I have also suggested that  a "firewall" be incorportated into Avast or packaged with one.  No feedback yet from the Avast Team.  However, any such undertaking would take away from the work presently being done on Avast.  It is better to have ONE GREAT PRODUCT, then two that are ok.  Know what I am getting at?

.......so it makes it worthwhile to buy the yearly subscription and get rid of some other security software we have running.
It IS worthwhile to buy the yearly subscription now!  AND it just makes sense considering the protection and features of the Avast Pro version.  Whether using Home or PRO... removing some of the "other" security software makes sense. Keep in mind that another AV that does not run resident is a good idea as a backup and check to Avast results.

Hope the information helps.    ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 10:44:12 PM by Techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 11:07:25 PM »
How about adding some real compelling feature to the pro version?

In fact the worse competitor of avast! Pro is the Home version of avast!  ;D
With the Pro version you could use some other features: push updates (emergency updates asked by the own Alwil company when a virus is spreading in the Internet), scheduling, automatic handle viruses (with any of the providers and with a logical sequence of actions to be taken), store scanning information and work with reports and logs among others.

Anyway, like Techie said, you've already discovered avast  :)
The best things in life are free.

scaa

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 04:55:10 AM »
I completely agree with Tech & Techie.
The home version is in fact the worst competitor of the pro version.
As far as having some other software integrated with avast, let us have one BEST product rather than two better products.
By paying for the pro version , apart from the additional features, we definitely contribute financially in our own small way to make avast the BEST AV ALWAYS