Author Topic: Alternative browser spyware infects IE  (Read 5458 times)

Starfighter

Alternative browser spyware infects IE
« on: March 12, 2005, 04:53:45 AM »
The following article I thought may be of interest to some on this group:

Alternative browser spyware infects IE
By John Leyden
Published Friday 11th March 2005 16:54 GMT

Some useful citizen has created an installer that will nail IE with spyware, even if a surfer is using Firefox (or another alternative browser) or has blocked access to the malicious site in IE beforehand. The technique allows a raft of spyware to be served up to Windows users in spite of any security measures that might be in place.

Full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/11/alternative_slimeware/

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Alternative browser spyware infects IE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 06:31:04 AM »
And this is what we all were talking about few months ago:

"Just switching away from IE does not give adequate protection. Now that Firefox and other alternative browsers have a toehold in the market the hacking community will get busy exploiting the vulnerabilities that exist in any complex browser," he said.

When they are done with IE, and if people ever completely switch to Firefox or any other alternative, I'm sure they will find some ways to attack other browsers just as they were attacking IE... they always need some toy to play with.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

lee16

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 11:16:46 AM »
When they are done with IE, and if people ever completely switch to Firefox or any other alternative, I'm sure they will find some ways to attack other browsers just as they were attacking IE... they always need some toy to play with.

I doubt it will ever be as bad as IE has it, considering that Firefox was built with security in mind, and IE wasn't.

--lee

lee16

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 11:51:07 AM »
After some more research i found most browsers have to have Java installed for this exploit to work, and even then they have to accept (press yes) to the scary looking certificate box. (although this will probably fool most users).

Well i don't have java enabled anyway (i do have alimited Javascript enabled though) and i don't press yes to anything.

Anyway i thin Firefox has already done something about this, because i went to the site to check it out and it blocked it (see below).

--lee

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 12:09:55 PM »
Generally, if I see anthing like this:

in Internet Explorer, I can be sure that it is spyware.

NEVER INSTALL SOFTWARE IF YOU SEE THIS!

You could also be advised to add *.lyricspy.com to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites zone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 01:52:03 AM »
I doubt it will ever be as bad as IE has it, considering that Firefox was built with security in mind, and IE wasn't.

In fact, right now, Firefox is on fire  ;D
This week more and more limitations were found...
Anyway, like Sasha said, they want something to play with  :(
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »
In fact, right now, Firefox is on fire  Grin
This week more and more limitations were found...
Anyway, like Sasha said, they want something to play with

Are there as many as there are on IE?, notice how quick there being quick there fixed and how easy temp workarounds are and how easy they are to avoid.
I mean the exploit mentioned above didn't even affect me, even if it did, i would of had to accept it because of the way java works, rather then auto installing way of activeX.

So i still have faith that firefox is and will remain more secure for a while, as you can see I'm being very stubborn about this  ;D

--lee

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »
Are there as many as there are on IE?

No.

Notice how quick there being quick there fixed and how easy temp workarounds are and how easy they are to avoid.

Yes.

I mean the exploit mentioned above didn't even affect me, even if it did, i would of had to accept it because of the way java works, rather then auto installing way of activeX.

Even if you have to accept it won't change the facts. All programs can be abused, cracked, etc. etc.

So i still have faith that firefox is and will remain more secure for a while

No doubt. I really think Firefox is much more secure than IE.
Unfortunately, for me, there aren't that many features that I like and look for when I choose a browser.
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 10:18:01 PM »
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog