Author Topic: couple of Windows XP issues help appreciated?  (Read 3349 times)

parachutestx

couple of Windows XP issues help appreciated?
« on: March 14, 2005, 01:52:05 AM »
Im noticing 2 issues and Id like to figure out whats causing this
I noticed over the time Ive had XP on this system the load up bar that goes from left to right has changed on the number of times it takes to start like as a example its gone from 6 to 8 times to 10 to 12 now to go to the main desktop.

The other thing Im noticing is a fluctuation of my memory like yesterday I installed and played a game which I uninstalled it afterwards.When I installed it I had 23.8 gigs after I uninstalled  it I had 24.9 now I turned on my comp today and I have 25.6 gigs and im trying to figure out whats going on?

could anyone help me figure out whats going on

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: couple of Windows XP issues help appreciated?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:56:07 AM »
Parachutest, the delay on booting can be because avast is scanning the startup items.
You can use Startup Delayer, a freeware that controls the Windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) and make things start on a strict order.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »
Sorry Tech, but I have to correct you ;D
What he means is that little 'slider bar' when you boot windows XP. At that time Avast isn't even loaded.

parachutestx, in time you install more and more applications. Almost all of them are changing Windows (eg: the registry) that is causing the longer boot time. Only thing you can do about it is, installing Windows and the applications you need/want and create a image file of the drive and put that image back instead of just removing a application you have tested. This is the only way and it is caused by the way Windows is working.

About the memory:
Windows is not very good at releasing memory that isn't used anymore. I remember that with AOE (Age Of Empires) this was a serious problem on XP systems. A reboot was needed to release the unused memory. Again something you can't do a thing about. It is up to MS to fix these kind of things.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »
Sorry Tech, but I have to correct you ;D

Me too...  :P

What he means is that little 'slider bar' when you boot windows XP. At that time Avast isn't even loaded.

Are you sure? Think twice about the order of loading program and services...  ;D ;)
The best things in life are free.