Author Topic: Confused about Avast on my tablet  (Read 3180 times)

lucasbuck

Confused about Avast on my tablet
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:25:55 AM »
I recently installed Avast on my Samsung Note 10.1 and am kind of confused. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it installs Avast and a separate program with a made up name for theft protection. So if someone uninstalls Avast, the theft program is still there. But:
- Wouldn't someone just go into Avast and disable the stealth mode, which would reveal the anti theft program?
- If I were to accidentally uninstall Avast (crash or something where it had to be uninstalled), and it left the hidden anti theft program, would reinstalling Avast allow me to disable the stealth mode for the anti theft program?
- I notice some of the features require me to dial a number, or for the tablet to recieve an SMS, which of course it can't do either because it's a WIFI only tablet. So I'm kind of nervous is something happens, it's going to lock up my tablet with no way to easily unlock it. Any thoughts?

Just paranoid, thanks for anything to put my mind at ease.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Confused about Avast on my tablet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Hi

You're correct about the two parts of avast. To your questions:
1) That's why there's a PIN. You have to set it up when you first enable Anti-Theft and then you can't access Anti-Theft without it to, so you can't disable it that easily.
2) Yes, but you don't even have to install Mobile Security to disable Anti-Theft. Just dial your PIN number and Anti-Theft will pop up :)
3) You can set up avast! Account in the Settings of Mobile Security (or Anti-Theft). When your are connected to the account, you can then control your device from http://my.avast.com. Also, when the device is locked, you can always unlock it from the Anti-Theft lock screen by entering your PIN.

Hope that helps,

Ondra

lucasbuck

Re: Confused about Avast on my tablet
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
Thank you for the reply. In regards to #2, how would you dial your pin since it's not a phone. There's no dialer.