Author Topic: windows security reports virus software out of date  (Read 9804 times)

nate7799

windows security reports virus software out of date
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:39:49 AM »
rebooted my computer today and I noticed the red shield icon appearing in my taskbar. so i click it and says software out of date . i open avast! user interface, and it at first said i had 360 days remaining on my avast! free antivirus registration. so i try updating it using the interface's maintenance tab and it starts to download the updates(although i had just updated everything on the 31st of march) and it gets to 2 of 3 and then i get an error message  saying the license for this product is invalid or expired. says that for both the program and definitions. so then i notice on the subscription tab it says 10 days remaining although licensed to and the customer no spots are blank and it says TRIAL PERIOD NOT ACTIVATED . so i go to the website and log in and it says there I'm registered until i think it said march 31 2014( not sure about the month and day but positive it said 2014) any help here would be appreciated 

Diddy

Re: windows security reports virus software out of date
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »
HI I was wondering what operating system are you running and what avast version are you running free/internet security, avast premier.  What version of the program are you running currently avast program version.

thanks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:05:59 AM by Diddy »

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
He is probably using Avast Free that is converting to Pro.
This bug acts like virus leaving users without protection.
For the love of God Fix this bug.I see more users are
having this problem.

Sbergeron

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
Same Problem Here.  :-\

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
Try a clean install...

1) download and save http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
2) download and save http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
3) run installer from step #1 (you will be prompted to reboot into safe mode, do so)
4) reboot into normal mode
5) install from step #2
6) reboot and register
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Diddy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
HI Para-Noid I took your advice and used the avast uninstall utility and reinstalled avast 8 free lasted version back on my computer and registered it.  Then I went into settings and clicked on the virus alerts tab and filled in the information and then clicked on ok and the message came up saying Settings Not responding.  So then I went through the task manager and ended the task then I closed on the homepage of avast free.  I was just wondering this must be a bug ha.  Is their anywhere I can let the developers now about this bug so it can possibly get fixed.

Thanks have a good week

Libra

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:17 AM »
I also experienced Windows Security reporting Avast was out of date last week.  I checked task manager and it was running there and I opened the Avast interface and it said the system was secure.  Nevertheless I tried to update the definition updates - all I could find in "maintenance" was "update engine and definitions" so I clicked on that.  It updated me to version 8.0.1489.  I wasn't happy about that. 

I shut down my computer for a few days because of a problem with my monitor not coming out of sleep.  When I turned it on, Windows Security reported Avast wasn't running!  As far as I could see, it was.

I did a system restore to a few weeks ago and I got version 8.0.1483 back and I'm not having a problem with my monitor either.

I don't know why Windows is reporting Avast to be out of date or not running.  Although it's not happening since I used system restore.  This is on Vista Home Premium sp2.

And where can you just manually update virus definitions without updating the program?

Sincerely, Libra
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:52:27 AM by Libra »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »
avast does not like system restore.....unless you turn off self protection first
if you have problems after a system restore you may need to do a avast reinstall, uninstalling With the removal tool first

And where can you just manually update virus definitions without updating the program?
program update is default set to ask (the auto update is, not sure about manual)
manual update is found if you right click avast tray icon ......or you can og to avast website and download the VPS file

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:55:43 AM by Pondus »

Libra

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
Thank you for your reply, Pondus.

Now I am noticing that the Avast icon in systray has a yellow ! and says "Attention, your system is not fully protected" and the Windows Security alert is saying Malware Protection is out of date!

Is this something new with Avast or is it because I used system restore?  Now that I think of it, the Windows Security alert was saying that before I used System Restore and that's why I clicked on update (hoping for it to only check the definition files).

I currently have Avast 8.0.1483.  All of my shields are running and I just did a Quick Scan which showed the computer is clean.  Is something wrong with my Avast or are these notifications something new that Avast is doing?

Avast never did this before.

I also have "secureline" listed in Security, although when I got version 8.0.1483 I did not click to put it into browsers, I closed the window instead.  I didn't know it was still there.

I would appreciate your advice.

Sincerely, Libra

Libra

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »
^bump^

I would just like to know if the Avast systray icon saying  "Attention, your system is not fully protected" and the Windows Security saying the malware protection is not up to date is what Avast is now doing.  Or if something is wrong with my Avast Antivirus.

I never got any of this before if I waited to update the Avast Program.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
The WSC notice isn't normally related to the program version, but the virus definitions being out of date (7 days I believe).

If you click on the avast tray icon and check the Security > Summary, check the status there, if any shields are off. Also the Maintenance > Update, virus definitions version version, current version is 130530-0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Libra

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:13:35 AM »
Thank you David for pointing me in the right direction (I've had some difficulty with the new interface).  The shields are all running and the maintenance showed an update for today.  I'll ignore that exclamation point until I'm ready to update.  I believe I saw the WSC when the computer had been shutdown for a few days.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security