Author Topic: Possible JS Malware - constant Avast alerts, please help  (Read 6099 times)

polacoctba

Possible JS Malware - constant Avast alerts, please help
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:35:08 AM »
Hello!

I'm having the same problem as this person http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=119713.0
I'll just be copying parts of the post:

"I inserted an usb drive into my laptop and scanned it while opening the drive many files are not visible, and folders were displayed as shortcuts.
after that i could see that  below 2 urls are invoked at regular intervals and blocked by avast
hxtp://nnh42.name/a/
hxtp://jsh37.net/a/

Also i could see a lot of windows update icon in system tray."

Here is the OTL log that I took from Windows 7 Safemode w/ network because the OTL kept closing in normal mode... Also, I noted that if you end the wscritp.exe process in the task manager, you can run the OTL in normal mode... but I dont know if it alters the results in any way so I did in Safemode to be sure...

Also... if possible, do you guys know if this particular virus offers any risk to passwords (banking, email, etc)? Since Avast blocks the attempts of the bad URLs?

Thanks in advance!

polacoctba

Re: Possible JS Malware - constant Avast alerts, please help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:26 AM »
Just a quick update:

I also noted that when the process "wscript.exe" is running in the task manager, MCShield doesnt work properly preventing the scan of any usb drive inserted... but when I closed wscript it ran smothly and cleanned the drives that were infected. It seens that this virus targets specific anti-mal programs through wscript to keep it alive...

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
hey and welcome to to forum please attach the other logs from this guide mbam,aswmbr,

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

malware expert will help you when on is online later today.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Hi this is a complex one to kill

Using windows explorer go to C:\Windows\System32
Right click Wscript.exe
Select Properties
Select Security Tab
Select Advanced
Select Owner
Select Edit
Select your account
Click Apply
OK the warning
Click OK

Now delete wscript.exe to the recycle bin

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.20
FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0021-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.21
FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.22
FF - prefs.js..extensions.enabledItems: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0023-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.23
O4 - HKU\S-1-5-21-3081187118-2861986493-2085128359-1000..\Run: [] File not found
O4 - HKU\S-1-5-21-3081187118-2861986493-2085128359-1000..\Run: [644] C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\725f\644.js ()
O4 - HKU\S-1-5-21-3081187118-2861986493-2085128359-1000..\Run: [ProxFile.exe] C:\Users\user\AppData\proxfile.exe File not found
O4 - Startup: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\30083.js ()
[2013/04/03 18:31:17 | 000,000,000 | -HSD | C] -- C:\737e
[2013/04/03 18:31:17 | 000,000,000 | -HSD | C] -- C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\725f
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\sinistro1.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\endereco.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\contrato2.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\contrato1.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\cobertura.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\user\Desktop\certidao de obito.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b

:Files
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.js

:Commands
[resethosts]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

polacoctba

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:41:19 PM »
There you go essexboy.

wscript is in the trash bin... ran the fix on safemode and it was extremely fast (less than 1 second), then the pc restarted. Now I could open OTL in normal mode and do the quick scan.

I also noted there are 3 new hidden files on desktop: 2 desktop.ini and 1 Thumbs.db, is that ok?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Restore wscript from the recycle bin.  Reboot and let me know how the computer is behaving

polacoctba

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
Wscript restored and PC rebooted. The Avast alerts have stopped and everything seems normal, however the wscript.exe isnt running on the task manager like it used to be.... should I try to execute it and see what happens?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
No need, if the malware was there it would have run it

Any further problems ?

polacoctba

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
Nope, I guess thats it then. Thanks a lot!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe  :wave: