Author Topic: Inserting notes into clean and infected messeges  (Read 4308 times)

johnny223

Inserting notes into clean and infected messeges
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:39:28 AM »
I have the latest version of avast home(4.6.623) and i checked the box that says "insert notes into clean messeges", but how come i never see those messeges?  i use yahoo mail. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Inserting notes into clean and infected messeges
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:52:22 AM »
Yahoo/Hotmail are not pop3 email services (unless you pay for the pop3 service), it is web based (so the Internet Mail provider doesn't directly protect it). Web based email is simply your email being viewed in the same way you browser the internet. The pages (that display your email) are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder, just like regular web pages and displayed on your browser screen.

The Web Shield and finally Standard Shield will scan your files (as they are downloaded into your Temporary Internet folder) when sensitivity is set to High. You can round this 'problem' using 3rd party applications to download the Hotmail messages through the pop3 server (PopHotmail, for instance)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 02:40:53 AM »
Right now you can 'bypass' a lot of pop3 services. I don't know if 'right now' the yahoo could be bypassed but a lot of mail could be downloaded through pop3 protocol if you use POPFree application (for instance).
GMail could be downloaded and you can even sent (smtp protocol) using avast and a spam blocker. So, if you decide to keep yahoo mail you can search for a solution. But, it won't be an easy one... you must 'work hard' to have access to your mail...
The best things in life are free.

johnny223

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 06:00:07 AM »
Oh, i see, thanks a lot.  So are there any softwares that can save the web based mail to POP3 email?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:08:08 PM »
There are a number of fairly reliable and free solutions that will read your Yahoo mail (via http/browser type access) and convert it to POP3 mail to be delivered to a mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird etc.) and allow your mail to be scanned by Avast.

A few of the free solutions that come to mind are YPops, MrPostman, FreePops.  Of these YPops is specific to Yahoo, Mr Postman will provide access to Yahoo, Hotmail and quite a few other mail services.  FreePops will provide access to Yahoo, Hotmail and a large range of other webmail systems.  If you are a Thunderbird user there are (relatively) new plugins to support Yahoo and Hotmail conversion to POP3 too.

They are all very easy to use with Avast (whatever you may read here to the contrary).  The key factor to remember (if you are an XP user) and use any of these solutions to convert Yahoo to POP3 is to uncheck the "ignore local communication" box in the Avast Internet mail scanner.  Then you will have POP3 mail delivered from Yahoo and also validated by Avast.   

My Yahoo and Hotmail accounts are being delivered as POP3 to my Thunderbird client many times a day and always scanned by Avast.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:13:11 PM by alanrf »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 01:34:26 PM »
Oh, i see, thanks a lot. So are there any softwares that can save the web based mail to POP3 email?

If you are generally happy with your current email arrangements and the only reason was to provide email protection and check why the email was not marked as clean.

You have now found that web based email can't be marked and that the Web Shield and Standard Shield and possibly Yahoo (check their FAQs) provide anti-virus protection for viewing your email.

As I said if your happy with your current email arrangements, you are protected and to add another level of complexity isn't really required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

johnny223

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 02:23:07 AM »
I'm trying out the program FreePOPs recommended by  alanrf, it works perfectly with hotmail, delivering the mails to Outlook express, thanks.  But it doesnt seem to work with my main email account, which has the extention(or whatever it's called) @sbcglobal.net, any idea what other programs might work with it?

johnny223

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 03:00:24 AM »
Nevermind, there is a tutoral for accessing my yahoo mail in Outlook express in my account website.  Anyway, thanks a lot, u guys've been helpful, learned a lot. ;D