Author Topic: Disable automatic update of programs in Avast 8  (Read 11718 times)

atryeu

Disable automatic update of programs in Avast 8
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
I need some help ASAP here!  I just installed Avast 8 today and even though I did NOT install the Software updater, according to the Web scanner, it's still trying to download the program updates behind the scenes without permission (for example, Flash, among other updates). How do I stop it completely? I am on a 24k dialup connection is this is causing major issues for me! I don't have time to waste downloading these updates when I don't have hours to spend trying to get them yet :(  I set aside specific dates when I have nothing else to do to get the updates.

How do I stop Avast from doing them? Like I said, Software Updater is NOT installed. It was at first, but I uninstalled the program and reinstalled and excluded that (it wouldn't let me just remove the feature at first without downloading a massive amount of unknown files for some reason).

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Disable automatic update of programs in Avast 8
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
ad remove programs > avast > uninstall > change....uninstall the modules you do not want

atryeu

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:57:04 AM »
ad remove programs > avast > uninstall > change....uninstall the modules you do not want

I mentioned in the first post that my first install I did attempt that, however it wouldn't let me just remove what I didn't want, it was attempting to force me to download an obscene amount of files in order to do that, so I completely uninstalled Avast, did the Custom install and unselected "Software Updater" so it did NOT install. It's not part of the program interface at all, but it's still downloading behind the scenes without permission.

Is there another way to stop it? It shouldn't be doing it at all since that part of the program was NOT installed.

atryeu

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:28:01 AM »
I want to add that according to FAQs, only "Avast Premier" is supposed to automatically download updates, so why is it downloading them? I'm using the Free edition and have never had a paid subscription.

And does anybody know how big the stupid Flash 11 update is? It's been going 2 hours so far *cries* :(

Alievitan

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:05 AM »
When I installed Avast, I was able to exclude software updater, gadget and browse cleaner b/c I didn't think they were necessary.  You need to click  the custom tab if I remember correctly during the installing process before unchecking what you don't want.

If you already have it installed you can do what Pondus posted via the control panel.   

It is pretty straightforward.  It isn't a permission problem b/c you were able to install Avast.  I really don't see how your computer or Avast could stop you from doing what I said or Pondus said.

atryeu

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »
I already stated though that I uninstalled Avast completely, reinstalled with Custom option and did NOT include the updater! :( It is NOT installed with Avast and according to the FAQs should not even be downloading since I don't user the premier version.

It's been 4hrs now and it's still downloading that stupid Flash plugin! :(  I don't know if it keeps restarting or what is going on, but the Web Shield keeps showing it's checking the Flash 11 plugin. I found out it's only 15mb and shouldn't take more than 90min on my connection, but it's been 4hrs and I can't stop anything :(

Also, like I said before, going through Add/Remove to change anything further attempts to start even more downloads :(

Updated to add:  Please see the attached picture. As I said, I do NOT have the Software Updater installed, but it's still automatically downloading and installing the updates that it listed this morning before I removed and reinstalled Avast to exclude it.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:06:11 AM by atryeu »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
Do as Pondus suggested then "reboot".  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

atryeu

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Please READ my posts... I do NOT have the Software Updater installed, therefore I canNOT remove it through Add/Remove... It is NOT listed under the "Change" tab.  I also posted a screenshot in my last message showing Software Updater is NOT installed. I can't remove something NOT installed.

I have up on the PoS software and downgraded and the stupid program isn't trying to download without permission now. But this means I can't keep my AV software up to date. It's obvious I'm not going to get help here, nobody is reading the "NOT" installed part of any of my posts and just assumes I'm some dumb person who doesn't know their way around a computer (which I'm not, FYI, I have over 20 years experience). If this issue can't be resolved, I'm not dealing with Avast anymore. They have no right to download 3rd party software to my computer like that, especially when I don't have the feature installed to do so. I'll find something better that won't screw up my computer and internet.

EdwardTheGreat

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
If you haven't solved it by now, try this, and afterwards you should be able to disable the automatic downloading of software updates. Like in an Avast installation in normal working condition is easy as 1,2,3.

I might be a fanboy, but I don't think you will find a better product than Avast Free. It's such a complete package nowadays :)

Re-run the uninstall process

Lets reinstall Avast

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Boot to Safe Mode.
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with Networking menu item
    • Press Enter.
  • Run aswClear
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.

• Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
When you run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode and will handle the boot into safe mode. You should run the tool for previous versions of avast first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.

Now you can do a clean install of the latest version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security