Author Topic: Help! Cannot set pin recovery number. Pin Recovery Not set?  (Read 16885 times)

BlogZilla

Help! Cannot set pin recovery number. Pin Recovery Not set?
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:17:57 AM »
How do I set my avast PIN? It reads," PIN recovery not set." When I check my phone's settings (I have an LG Intuition phablet) I don't see any section where to set this. I;m not even sure I understand what avast is talking about. Calling their technical support number is useless; you'll be on hold for hours.

There is no instruction and it is not obvious as to how to set the pin recovery, which is required if a person wants to remove some apps or do anything with Avast mobile phone security software

Can someone please help? It's very frustrating.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Help! Cannot set pin recovery number. Pin Recovery Not set?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
Hi,

PIN recovery is not required, PIN is required. If "0000" as a PIN doesn't work then you had to set it up at some point in time in Mobile Security or (more probably) Anti-Theft.

Filip

Tobias56

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »
It's a phone number to recover your pin. "Pin recovery not set" isn't a very clear message. It looks like they're talking about a pin when they're actually talking about a phone number.

Gankaku

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:37:01 AM »
   Now we have determined it is not set, 0000 does not work, any other way to access?
   Android Galaxy s3 . I am not able to get into the program to do anything ,upgrade, uninstall any "APPS"
       Frank

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
You can still uninstall Mobile Security via Google Play.

Filip

Offline alleno

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
I also am having the same problem with "PIN recovery not set."  I am running DROID RAZR MAXX, Android 4.1.2.  I uninstalled Avast from the phone and re-installed it.  When I click on avast, I receive the "enter avast! PIN" message.  It requests a 4 to 6 digit code.  "0000" doesn't work.  I try the common codes I have used in the past, but all I get is the exclamation mark in a red circle.  It states that I am to set the recovery phone number in the settings, but I am stuck and cannot move forward with making any changes in the avast settings.  What do I do?

Gankaku

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
I know I could and can uninstall  Avast mobile ,the question is if I want to keep it
  and I do, how can I get into it to use/update, ETC. ?
   Thanks

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »
Hi,

there is not back door or anything to access Mobile Security without a PIN. The only option is to uninstall it (and Anti-Theft as well if it is install) and reinstall.

Filip

Tobias56

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
It's a phone number to recover your pin. "Pin recovery not set" isn't a very clear message. It looks like they're talking about a pin when they're actually talking about a phone number.
I agree. I'm a bit a technical guy myself and still I didn't get it at first... The wording is awful.. It should be something like this :

"No phone number is set for PIN recovery. You won't be able to recover your PIN if you forget it.
Then a box : "Set a phone number now"

Or something along those lines. Since there is no "backdoor" I think Pin recovery should be mandatory. After that you can stop giving instructions to potential thieves on how to uninstall AT without knowing the pin.

EDIT : It seems that the wording has been corrected in the last update. Good job. My last sentence still stands though.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:24:23 PM by Tobias56 »

lace0531

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
I love this app on my mobile phone, but when getting my new Droid Razr Maxx HD i installed it as one of the first apps. When working in the phone I was promoted for the PIN, it saying it had not been set, go to settings. WHERE do I set it up? In the APP, on the PHONE? where? I had to uninstall the App, and if I'm not able to have this resolved I will have to find another security app to help me.

Vinny C

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
You set the recovery number through the app on your phone. Once you get into the app, you just go under settings and it'll have an option for 'Phone number for PIN recovery.'
Clicking that will allow you to set it. You do need access to the actual app in order to do this, though.

ShanghaiOlive

Instructions not correct
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:23 AM »
Not correct: it says 4 to 6 digits, it cant be a phone number. Is it the phone number PIN code?? (set as recovery phone no.) Couldn't be... Stuck as well as I can't go over it. The app kicks you out if you don't key in those digits first...

Offline boggett2001

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »
Thanks for opening up this thread!  I've tried every means possible to open my avast and I can't do it for the same reasons as all of those above this response.  I can't uninstall any apps, can't get into avast mobile at all unless I get those numbers.  I only use 4 specific numbers most of the time and those are not working, so I'm wondering if at some point I simply skipped that step and moved on.  At any rate, avast is dead in the water and I'm really upset about it.  If I can't get to "the Settings", how can I fix the problem?  Where are "the Settings"?  My phone settings?  Please somebody address this problem. :(

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
Hi,

you can uninstall AMS via Google Play. You can find out how to uninstall AAT somewhere here on the forum (a lot of have been spoken about this so I suggest you take a look at the topics and see what works for you).

Filip

thuytien

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:37 AM »
I have same problem, how to reset my password, i can not uninstall or do anything with apps on my phone, pls help