Author Topic: Is Avast v4.6.623 is playing up with ZA?  (Read 14719 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Is Avast v4.6.623 is playing up with ZA?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 06:04:51 PM »
Guys, I hope you have all done your homeworks and search the support forums of your firewall. I've done that too a found several topic concerning ZA forgeting it's rules and settings.

Did some of their solutions work?

Eg.

Hey Welcome to the Forum,sounds like you have a corrupted Database and it will need to be reset for the problem to disappear.You can reset it in this fashion.
(1)Turn of ZA from the Taskbar-Making sure you are disconnected from the Internet before doing so.
(2)Access the c:\windows\internet logs folder (this could be x:\winnt depending on your OS. The drive letter is also specific to your machine.)
(3)Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files.
(4)Restart ZoneAlarm.

There this should make it remember it now, You will lose all your current settings but they are easily re-established.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/search?board_id=cfg&q=forget

Let us know if it makes any difference.
Lukas.

drjster

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 06:27:59 PM »
ZA repeatedly asks me if I would like to allow permisson for only one program, ashWebSv.exe, and only when Avast 4.6.623 is installed. If I install 4.6.603, ZA asks me just once.

I've reinstalled ZA, reinstalled Avast, removed ashWebSv.exe from ZA's program control panel and reset ZA's database but I still get prompted by Avast v4.6.623 (ashWebSv.exe) after every reboot. The only way to stop it is to revert to Avast 4.6.603.

Windows XP Home SP2, 512 MB Ram, Athlon XP 2000

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 06:41:13 PM »
Drjster,

I'm sorry for this, but all I know about the WebShield app prevents me from believing we can do anything about it. It is just a Winsock application, which listens on localhost and makes connections to the internet. There is no magic behind it and it uses no dirty tricks to get onto the internet. I also cannot replicate this on the test machines. Tried reinstalling avast, zone alarm, free version, za suite,....

ZA sees WebShield's internet access and asks you for permision, then forgets it's settings. There is nothing I can think of I could change in the webshield code which would interract with the ZA in any way.

Can you please setup webshield as your HTTP proxy in Internet Explorer (or the browser you use)? Perhaps ZA forgets it's settings because it's does not like the way connections are forwarded to the webshield - then why doesn't the same happens with internet mail which uses the same mechanism?

Lukas.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:01:44 PM by lukor »

mickeyvdb

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 12:08:53 PM »
Hi,

Same problem for me, right after installing the latest version of Avast, ZA keeps on asking me these questions. It just doesn't want to remember the settings.

Anyone who already knows the solutions for this ?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 12:27:11 PM »
Kerio Firewall  ;D
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 12:31:25 PM »
Anyone who already knows the solutions for this ?

Still unable to reproduce the problem? What about changing some program options for webshield process (in ZoneAlarm). (attached image) Does that makes any difference? And what about alert advisor in ZA? Do you have it set to automatic or manual or Off?

Spyros

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 12:43:32 PM »
Strange... I uninstalled McAfee Firewall and installed ZoneAlarm. No problems whatsoever... I don't think avast is the reason for your problems.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »
People on the web are talking about this problem starting with ZA around the first week of January. For example:
http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,1225.30.html

Is there a possibility that this bug was introduced into a new versionion of ZA around this time, and the problems with avast! 4.6 are entirely coincidental?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2005, 02:30:38 PM »
Or is it that there is something about our system configuration or something installed on our systems which is causing this problem totally independently of avast!

People are talking about this problem in other forums without mentioning avast!

Everybody here uses avast! but that doesn't mean avast! is causing the ZA bug. Perhaps it's another program all the affected systems have which was updated in early January and which is clashing with ZA.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »
People are talking about this problem in other forums without mentioning avast!
Everybody here uses avast! but that doesn't mean avast! is causing the ZA bug.

This happened a lot of times before!  :(
ZoneAlarm, since earlier versions 5, became erratic: sometimes works, sometimes not.
The poorest technical support you can get make me change to Sygate (free)  8)
The best things in life are free.

stevejrc

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 04:22:04 PM »
latest ZA works fine on mine, first time installed. But I'm aware that once the next version of ZA comes out it will probably conflict with itself and fail (seems common) ;)

Dave the Rave

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2005, 07:22:41 AM »

I use ZA Free 5.5.062.011 and NEVER had this problem until I installed Avast v4.6.623!

David

Exactly my experience, too.

Also, performance is a virtual crawl now. Should I uninstall 4.6.623 and install 4.6.603? And if so, where can I find this older version of Avast?

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2005, 01:52:36 PM »
Where can I find this older version of Avast?

You can't... You must have it on your own HDD.
All servers are updated to the newest one.
Anyway, let´s walk forward, improving the versions  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2005, 07:26:04 PM »
Solution :  I had this problem for a while and I then found out that ZA was not saving the permissions because the system shut down a tad too fast,  all you need to do is after you have made your changes (allowed permissions etc) shut down ZA     BEFORE you shut down your system.  All changes will then be remembered weird I know but works for me..