Author Topic: free avast's web shield prevent reaching zyxel NSA325 NAS  (Read 11516 times)

slam

free avast's web shield prevent reaching zyxel NSA325 NAS
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Hi,

I just acquired a zyxel NSA325 nas server for my home network.

info: http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nsa325.shtml?t=p

I can access the nas properly from my computer, but the zyxel application cannot access it properly. It marks the nas as 'unreachable'. This limits the acessibility of some features the nas can offer.

Now, reading the documentation from zyxel, I found the following:

The NAS Starter Utility discovered the NSA but the status is always unreachable, even though I can access it.

You may need to add the NAS Starter Utility to your software firewall's allow list or lower your software firewall or anti-virus scanner's security level. Alternatively, you may have to configure your software firewall or other security software to allow UDP port 50127 traffic from the NSA. If there is a hardware firewall between you and the NSA, configure it to allow UDP port 50127 traffic from the NSA.

Now, trying all these suggestions made me tried a lot of different settings on windows's firewall, my router settings, etc.

Nothing working until I tried disabling avast's web shield. From then, the nas was accessible. See the attached images "unreachable.png" and "reachable.png" as a demonstration.

Having scoped the problem, here's the things I tried (without success):

• I tried changing the web shield settings to allow access to the nas and excluding the utility without success.
    See the image below.
  • I tried changing the global settings to exclude the path to my nas, without succes.
    See the image below.

Now, I don't know what to try to make this work.

Does anyone has the solution to my problem?

Thank you.

Some more info:

windows 7 32 bits
NAS325

both behind a netgear N300 router

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: free avast's web shield prevent reaching zyxel NSA325 NAS
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
avast! GUI -> Security -> Web Shield -> Settings -> Main Settings
Enable: Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

slam

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
Haha !!

Excellent. It worked.

I did not expect the answer to be so quick!

Thank you Asyn for your help.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0