Author Topic: NNTP Scanning (in Thunderbird & Win98)  (Read 3764 times)

kenwong

NNTP Scanning (in Thunderbird & Win98)
« on: March 11, 2005, 05:05:56 PM »
Is there special setting to be made for avast's scanning of NNTP in Thunderbird running on Win 98? (For emails, manual configuration is needed)

I enabled the clean message notice insertion in avast but do not see the notice at all in messages downloaded.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: NNTP Scanning (in Thunderbird & Win98)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 05:16:09 PM »
It is similar to the mail setup:
server: 127.0.0.1
username: #NNTPSERVER (or NAME#NNTPSERVER if your server requires authentication)
port: 119 (default)

(where NAME and NNTPSERVER are the original values)

kenwong

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:40:44 PM »
Thanks, vojtech.  It works now.

How about the posting of messages onto newsgroups?  For example, if I am the service provider A for newsgroup services, while service provider B for email services.  When posting messages on newsgroup, will I use account A or account B for the sending?  Any special implication on avast settings?

kenwong

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:51:16 PM »
... and it seems that setting two or more accounts for newsgroup is not allowed???

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 02:18:52 PM »
I don't understand exactly. If you want to post to newsgroup, you cannot use email account, you need to use news account. And I think there is no special implication on avast settings.

Thunderbird unfortunatelly does not permit two news accounts with the same server. However you can use 'localhost' instead of '127.0.0.1' or create more aliases in your hosts file (c:\windows\hosts).

kenwong

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 05:33:05 PM »
Thanks, vojtech.

It is really a pity that TB does not allow two or more accounts under one server (127.0.0.1).  But could you explain more how to 'create more aliases in your hosts file'? I know this is a rather technical issue.  Can you shed some lights on this?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »
If you open your hosts file, you can see that it defines localhost as a synonym of 127.0.0.1. You can define other names (e.g. localhost2) the same way by creating new lines in this file. You can then use these new names as server names in your Thunderbird account.