Author Topic: Avast suddenly stopped properly functioning  (Read 5531 times)

njmike

Avast suddenly stopped properly functioning
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »
Ever since the system restore I used today, Avast all of a sudden is giving me a plethora of errors and problems. Saying I am unprotected and not registered, when it says that I am registered. It also is now saying the service is not started, and when I do start it from Control Panel > Services, it deactivates again.

Also, if I try to uninstall Avast from control panel so I can install a fresh copy, I get this error: http://gyazo.com/6f10e68b79afb0bdc20d2d4c18c73d23
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:22:31 AM by njmike »

beatlefanLH

Re: Avast suddenly stopped properly functioning
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
Yup, the same thing happened to me when I did restore.

Diddy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:28:38 AM »
HI NjMike I would try a repair of avast go to control panel and go to avast and scroll down and go to repair and click next and then after it is done the repair reboot your computer and see if that helps.

have a good day

Diddy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »
Ever since the system restore I used today, Avast all of a sudden is giving me a plethora of errors and problems. Saying I am unprotected and not registered, when it says that I am registered. It also is now saying the service is not started, and when I do start it from Control Panel > Services, it deactivates again.

Also, if I try to uninstall Avast from control panel so I can install a fresh copy, I get this error: http://gyazo.com/6f10e68b79afb0bdc20d2d4c18c73d23

njmike

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:31:53 AM »
HI NjMike I would try a repair of avast go to control panel and go to avast and scroll down and go to repair and click next and then after it is done the repair reboot your computer and see if that helps.

have a good day

I don't have Avast anywhere in my control panel. Unless you mean in Programs and Features? In there, there is no option to repair it. Just "Uninstall/Change", which I can't do.

Also I am using Windows 7 64-bit, sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »
Hi Mike:

Download the Avast uninstaller aswclear.exe
Boot into Windows safe mode by tapping F8 upon startup
Run aswclear.exe
Reboot
Reinstall Avast

njmike

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:55:17 AM »
Hi Mike:

Download the Avast uninstaller aswclear.exe
Boot into Windows safe mode by tapping F8 upon startup
Run aswclear.exe
Reboot
Reinstall Avast

This does not do anything.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:05:22 AM »
What doesn't do anything - e.g. exactly what is it that you are doing and what happens (or not) and are there any errors reported ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

njmike

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:12:39 AM »
What doesn't do anything - e.g. exactly what is it that you are doing and what happens (or not) and are there any errors reported ?

I bolded it inside the quote.

Anyway, this doesn't matter anymore because Simion's method worked. I just had to configure my computer to start in safe mode manually, since F8 was not working.

Avast has been removed and I have re-installed a totally fresh copy as well as re-registering brand-new. No idea why I had to re-register brand-new, but nevertheless, it worked. So...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:03:54 AM »
Well you actually don't need to do that, the aswClear.exe when run in normal mode will tell you it should be run in safe mode and when you elect to do that it handles the boot into safe mode.

The main thing is that you have it working now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security